HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:36 PM

Change in coaching seems to be helping. Change in team philosophy, same thing. They have a team charter that everyone signed onto. Holding people accountable. Hellebuyck got back to his roots, in goaltending style apparently, over the summer and isn't letting in those softies like he was last year. I like.

I am pleasantly surprised and happy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think I understand the Jets new game plan this year. Let the other team tire themselves out and hope Helle can stop them all.

4 min left in the second against Vegas an the shots are 31-7 for Vegas.

…hard to watch
Things really started to change with Bones back behind the bench. They have been consistently out-shooting teams and playing much better defensively with really good defensive zone exits.
Considering Connor and Ehlers haven't been scoring at all (I know Ehlers is hurt)....wait till they add some goals.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:22 PM

#1 in lowest GA/GP in the NHL today!!! much credit to Helly but new defensive structure helps too!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Jets over Stars 5-1.

We are 6-0-1 in the last 7 games.

Currently 1st in the Central Division.

Life is mostly good

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 12:39 AM

Bowness has really taken this team in a new and positive direction. One can only wonder what would have happened if he was behind the bench for the 2017-18 or 2018-19 seasons, when the Jets were stacked. We may have won the cup, considering we were out-coached in the Vegas series.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Bowness has really taken this team in a new and positive direction. One can only wonder what would have happened if he was behind the bench for the 2017-18 or 2018-19 seasons, when the Jets were stacked. We may have won the cup, considering we were out-coached in the Vegas series.
Still too early won't judge team until after 20 games

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Still too early won't judge team until after 20 games
After 20 games, they will have a record of 13-5-2. Book it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 3:22 PM

So as of this date the Jets are 12-6-1 and second in the central division.

I probably shouldn't nit-pick, but the Jets seems to be falling into their old habits of collapsing late in games. Won last night in overtime, but honestly, this has been going on for years.

Am I just getting paranoid? Does this happen to other teams as much as it seems to happen to the Jets?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 4:56 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
So as of this date the Jets are 12-6-1 and second in the central division.

I probably shouldn't nit-pick, but the Jets seems to be falling into their old habits of collapsing late in games. Won last night in overtime, but honestly, this has been going on for years.

Am I just getting paranoid? Does this happen to other teams as much as it seems to happen to the Jets?
If we are going to talk about last night's game alone, there are some few choice words on how the refs and the league handled it, but in the context of what you're asking, it's a bit of a habit lately.

The game with Carolina earlier this week is a prime example. Up 3-0, and play a solid 55 minutes of hockey, only to blow that all up in the last 5 minutes after Carolina pulls their goalie, and then we win it in OT.

The Minnesota game... well that explains itself.

Last night's game was a close game, but it's been handled by a couple of noob refs, and it was fully shown after Hellebuyck's helmet was off. That game should not have gone to overtime.

I'm not gonna deep dive into the conversation because I've read and listened to so many talking points on other platforms, but ultimately, they missed the fact that the play should have been whistled down as soon as that helmet was off.

Similar situation happened to Dallas in 2019, and another similar situation happed to New Jersey earlier this week.

Going back to your question and observation, this needs to be worked on. If we are on a penalty kill, or on a 6-on-5 situation, our defence and forwards need to step up. We've been alright creating breakaway plays and actually succeeding, but it should not be the only thing either in those situations.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
If we are going to talk about last night's game alone, there are some few choice words on how the refs and the league handled it, but in the context of what you're asking, it's a bit of a habit lately.

The game with Carolina earlier this week is a prime example. Up 3-0, and play a solid 55 minutes of hockey, only to blow that all up in the last 5 minutes after Carolina pulls their goalie, and then we win it in OT.

The Minnesota game... well that explains itself.

Last night's game was a close game, but it's been handled by a couple of noob refs, and it was fully shown after Hellebuyck's helmet was off. That game should not have gone to overtime.

I'm not gonna deep dive into the conversation because I've read and listened to so many talking points on other platforms, but ultimately, they missed the fact that the play should have been whistled down as soon as that helmet was off.

Similar situation happened to Dallas in 2019, and another similar situation happed to New Jersey earlier this week.

Going back to your question and observation, this needs to be worked on. If we are on a penalty kill, or on a 6-on-5 situation, our defence and forwards need to step up. We've been alright creating breakaway plays and actually succeeding, but it should not be the only thing either in those situations.
The only thing I can say there is that the refs did not see the helmet come off, which is almost impossible. But that has to be the only answer, as silly as it would be.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:41 AM

Quote:
13-6-1 so far so good. I am cautiously optimistic at the quarter mark of the season.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:44 AM

They're certainly exceeding my expectations for them at the start of the season.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:46 AM

Great to see scoring from 3 and 4 lines. And guys who started season w Moose making an impact. Go Jets Go

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:19 AM

Quote:
I was off by one point (13-6-1)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
13-6-1 so far so good. I am cautiously optimistic at the quarter mark of the season.
Hellebuyck has been awesome. He is once again, a frontrunner for the Vezina Trophy.

Morrissey is having a career year, with 23 points in 20 games (he previous best was 37 points in 79 games).

After a slow start, Kyle Connor has been great in November, with 16 points in 11 games.

PLD is also having a productive November with 13 points in 11 games.

Once Ehlers returns, the Jets should be in great shape, barring any injuries.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 12:42 PM

Well I was completely wrong about the Jets this year and I couldn’t be happier.

5-0 blowout against the Avs, Wheeler hat trick, Hellebuyck 40 save shutout, Perfetti continuing his stellar rookie season, and JMo norris campaign running strong this has to be our best win this season. It’s early but Bones is looking like a COTY candidate. Looking at Florida right now I didn’t realize just how badly PMo was holding us back.

Btw we’re only 1 point behind Dallas with 2 games in hand which is insane entering December.

Is it too early to be looking into deadline acquisitions?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 1:48 PM

Pretty sure EVERYONE was wrong on this (except Chevy maybe!). It will be interesting to see what games look like when we play Boston and NJ.
Biggest deadline acquisition will be a Dane by the name of Nicolaj Ehlers. He should be back just in time for a serious playoff run. Otherwise maybe Stasny will be available! It is interesting seeing how Florida is under-performing - a theme we have been all too familiar with.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:10 PM
Mooderator

I think I will burn my Sens hat and get a Jets one.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:16 PM

Amazing what a coach will do.

And on the flip side, look at Florida haha There was an article recently about how Florida has no identity. Are they skilled, grit, defensive? Nobody knows. Familiar theme.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:33 PM

It's starting to feel like 2018 again, watching that Scheif and Wheeler magic last night. Impressive that Perfetti fits in so seamlessly with two seasoned vets like them. Then there's Hellebuyck. And what a performance by Morrissey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan