HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:27 AM
Chicago

1237 W Division

February 2, 2023

February 3, 2023

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:31 AM
Chicago

Inspire West Town - 1140 W Erie

June 27, 2022

February 3, 2023

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:34 AM
Chicago

613 N Ogden

February 3, 2023

Six story apartment building with ground floor retail and an 11 car parking garage

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:35 AM
Chicago

732 W Randolph

February 3, 2023

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:39 AM
Chicago

1020 W Randolph

February 3, 2023

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 4:19 AM

^ I googled 1020 W Randolph. This replaces a bank branch that had a drive thru. This is a good looking new building in my opinion especially for new construction.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
February 3, 2023

My god. My favorite building of 2023 so far.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:38 PM

4701 N clark

Zoning was approved for 4701 N. Clark: http://www.james46.org/wp-content/up...01-N-Clark.pdf. It's across the street from Chase park and (new) Carol's. Looks like it will continue the weird pattern on that block of retail/commercial set way back in the shadows. (no ground-floor retail: https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/02/ald...in-uptown.html). Five stories, 36 two-bed units, 21 parking spaces.

https://www.uptownupdate.com/2022/05...ng-reveal.html

Last edited by dewbs; Feb 6, 2023 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
Am I tripping or has Inspire West Town been under construction for YEARS now?
Haha I was going to comment “worlds longest construction project”.. you are correct. Not sure what’s going on there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Haha I was going to comment “worlds longest construction project”.. you are correct. Not sure what’s going on there.
Maybe the same facade issue as the spurlock homes? That projects been stalled for a year as well. But CHA wouldn’t have $$ issues.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:34 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
^ I googled 1020 W Randolph. This replaces a bank branch that had a drive thru. This is a good looking new building in my opinion especially for new construction.
The bank branch had great brickwork too - late 90s but inspired by the Prairie School greats. I'm glad the replacement scratches the same itch and isn't a banal crapbox with metal panel siding.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 10:55 PM

A tour inside the Delaware Building:
https://www.wbez.org/stories/delawar...1-c871ad072d75

Did not realize there was an atrium inside. Could be a gorgeous conversion.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 9:30 PM
TL;DR

Agreed... but the city could also let them out of the requirement for a 2nd stair. This is only triggered by the change of occupancy, they wouldn't need the 2nd stair if they kept the building as offices.

The building already has a fire escape that could be replaced/refurbished as 2nd means of egress...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Maybe the same facade issue as the spurlock homes? That projects been stalled for a year as well. But CHA wouldn’t have $$ issues.
Obviously the agency itself wouldn’t have $$ issues, but it moves slower than molasses on its way down to the consultants/subcontractors/laborers with the amount of bureaucracy and checks involved in releasing money. I imagine it’s pretty easy for issues to snowball with so many layers involved.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Agreed... but the city could also let them out of the requirement for a 2nd stair. This is only triggered by the change of occupancy, they wouldn't need the 2nd stair if they kept the building as offices.

The building already has a fire escape that could be replaced/refurbished as 2nd means of egress...
I may be wrong, but doesn't the Chicago building code now require that external fire escapes be replaced with internal fire stairs when there's a substantial renovation? Like when 100 W. Monroe was converted to the Hyatt Centric?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 6:10 AM

It’s not just exiting, it’s firefighting and common usage. You need a protected stair for firefighters to go up as well as an area buffered from smoke..which atriums are tricky. It’s not just the danger of the fire. The other problem is people will use fire escapes as general circulation. It’s an issue for mult-level office tenants in vintage buildings because they can be more convenient and of course a chance for fresh air on a nice day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
I may be wrong, but doesn't the Chicago building code now require that external fire escapes be replaced with internal fire stairs when there's a substantial renovation? Like when 100 W. Monroe was converted to the Hyatt Centric?
As ardecila said, it's primarily triggered by a change of occupancy. Office buildings with fire escapes can continue to use them for as long as the building remains an office building. The conversion to residential or hotel requires that internal stairs meet the current code. Even London House, which already had two internal stairs had to have one completely rebuilt as the second stair did not meet the minimum width requirements. Now if an office building were to introduce a large conference center on an upper floor, that would be considered an assembly use and also likely require that internal stairs be adequate.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:35 PM

The 2nd stair at london house had a transfer corridor too. The stair stack wasn’t vertical.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:59 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

This is a tangent, but with all the articles I’ve read about the construction boom in south lakefront neighborhoods (e.g. Bronzeville, Woodlawn, etc.), I decided to drive around and check out the area. I’m *amazed* at the transformation in Bronzeville. I used to work there in 2009/2010 and it’s like night and day. I go there occasionally but hadn’t been for a year or two and even in that time frame, they’ve built so much and there’s construction everywhere. Awesome to see it and the area feels much wealthier and safer (there are high end cars parked on the street all over lol). I didn’t have much of a base for comparison when it comes to Woodlawn, but I saw a ton of new development there and got a similar impression. The boom doesn’t seem to be slowing, either, since I saw so much stuff under construction everywhere.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
It’s not just exiting, it’s firefighting and common usage. You need a protected stair for firefighters to go up as well as an area buffered from smoke..which atriums are tricky. It’s not just the danger of the fire. The other problem is people will use fire escapes as general circulation. It’s an issue for mult-level office tenants in vintage buildings because they can be more convenient and of course a chance for fresh air on a nice day.
I think the Delaware Building is short enough that any floor can be accessed from a ladder truck. I can't find a citation of the building height (bye Emporis) but it is on the cusp of being a low-rise instead of high-rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development