HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:52 PM

Foundations Underway At 1801-05 North 2nd Street In Olde Kensington

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has observed that foundation work is underway a large mixed use building at 1801-05 North 2nd Street in Olde Kensington. The building will stand five stories tall and feature 20 residential units as well as two commercial spaces at the ground floor and parking in the basement. The structure will hold 25,106 square feet of interior space. Permits specify a cost of $2.51 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/01/foun...ensington.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:53 PM

Permits Issued For 4245 Sansom Street In Spruce Hill

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a three-story, 12-unit mixed-use development at 4245-49 Sansom Street in Spruce Hill, West Philadelphia. Designed by Colliers Engineering & Design, the building will feature a green roof.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/01/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:55 PM

Construction Complete At Shepherd Lofts At 314 South 46th Street In Garden Court

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has confirmed that construction work has been completed at Shepherd Lofts, a four-story, 25-unt residential renovation project at 314 South 46th Street in Garden Court, West Philadelphia. Designed by Interface Studio Architects (ака ISA), the project transforms the prewar building of the Good Shepherd Community Church, situated on the west side of the block between Spruce and Pine streets, into residential space, and adds a new four-story structure in its former courtyard. The development spans 17,768 square feet, of which 7,743 square feet are identified as a new addition. Permits list the Ferraro Construction Group as the contractor and indicate a construction cost of $2 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/01/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:56 PM

Renderings Revealed For 2552-56 North 3rd Street In West Kensington

Quote:
Renderings have been revealed for a six-story, 64-unit mixed-use development at 2552-56 North 3rd Street in West Kensington. Designed by Gnome Architects, the structure will feature two commercial spaces on the ground floor, totaling 3,868 square feet. The upper floors will contain 54,043 square feet of residential space. A 5,924-square-foot parking garage will yield space for 21 cars (one space being ADA compliant and van accessible). The project will also feature 22 bicycle spaces.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/01/rend...ensington.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Construction Complete At Shepherd Lofts At 314 South 46th Street In Garden Court

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/01/cons...ladelphia.html
Oh wow what an ugly project. I'm all for adaptive re-use but what a miss from a design perspective. The contrast with the beautiful Georgian rowhouse next door...oof.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Oh wow what an ugly project. I'm all for adaptive re-use but what a miss from a design perspective. The contrast with the beautiful Georgian rowhouse next door...oof.
See that's funny. I think it's novel and very pretty.

I think the intention is to have it blend with the sanctuary (which doesn't match the houses next door) and not the houses. It can't do both.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:42 PM

^ Novel is a good word. For me it sits in the category of not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but weird enough to be interesting while not so weird as to be offensive. I wouldn't want to see this become a design trend, but I'd stop for a few minutes to look if I happened to be passing.

(Though I would open up the street level some.)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I saw this in-person a couple weeks ago. It looks really good. The cladding is high quality and very textured. I actually think this project and RAY in Kensington should be the standard for cladding wood frame apt complex.

This will be the exterior for Rays Project

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 5:10 PM

It's a bit funky-looking but I don't know that I'd call it ugly.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 8:30 PM
PHL

Ha, my friend lives in that church! It's nice, the reuse was well-done. I can see why it might seem jarring in photos but it honestly all does look great in person. It's a lovely neighborhood too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 12:02 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I think people tend to forget in this era that cities are the way they are today because construction was quirky, and all types of things were built and destroyed creating a very unique place.

In this generation we tend to try to recreate the wheel that is cities, and that will never work being cities are not uniform structured places.other than the grid it sits on.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 12:08 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I found the reason why new construction tends to have the "Curvy road syndrome".
It seems FHA guidance promoted and still promotes to this day that grids are a NO-GO. I think thats a very bad policy, and it needs to be reverted.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 4:06 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

I found the reason why new construction tends to have the "Curvy road syndrome".
It seems FHA guidance promoted and still promotes to this day that grids are a NO-GO. I think thats a very bad policy, and it needs to be reverted.
It's a bad policy and needs to change but it did make sense if you are designing around the car and for children playing in the streets/when the front part of yards were used as gathering spaces. But yes over time it created a lot of issues like in one of my old neighborhoods, where a grid was cut off and emergency vehicles had to go all the way around to enter the other part of the neighborhood, adding unnecessary and what can be crucial minutes to their travel.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:46 PM
Chris

23 PROJECTS TO WATCH
Billions of dollars in new development will shape the region for years to come

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-projects.html

CITY
The Bellevue
New Morgan Lewis building
Parkway Corp.’s 31-story Center City apartment tower
1706-10 Walnut St.
76ers’ proposed arena at Fashion District
Jefferson Health Specialty Care Pavilion
Durst developments along Delaware River
501 N. Christopher Columbus Blvd.
Capping I-95 at Penn's Landing
Navy Yard
Bellwether District
Lower Schuylkill Biotech Campus
1001 S. Broad St.
Schuylkill Yards: 3151 Market St. and 3025 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Pennovation Works
Gattuso and Drexel's 3201 Cuthbert St.

REGION
Cooper University Health Care's Camden expansion
Mall conversions
MLP Ventures expanding King of Prussia life sciences
Keystone Trade Center
Wilmington’s Avenue North
SEPTA King of Prussia Rail sites
Atlantic City’s Bader Field

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 10:51 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

VTV Construction Update

Hey y'all, Ive been real busy putting stuff together so sorry I haven't been posting more pics and drone shots, however I do have this video I just put together for the 36-38 S 2nd st project in old city, what do you guys think? if y'all like it ill continue to make these.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPLpPGu_kE

Last edited by TonyTone; Feb 9, 2023 at 8:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:32 AM
i heart philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
VTV Construction Update

Hey y'all, Ive been real busy putting stuff together so sorry I haven't been posting more pics and drone shots, however I do have this video I just put together for the 36-38 S 2nd st project in old city, what do you guys think? if y'all like it ill continue to make these.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPLpPGu_kE
Love it, thank you for posting.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
Love it, thank you for posting.
2nd that, appreciate the update

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
It's a bad policy and needs to change but it did make sense if you are designing around the car and for children playing in the streets/when the front part of yards were used as gathering spaces. But yes over time it created a lot of issues like in one of my old neighborhoods, where a grid was cut off and emergency vehicles had to go all the way around to enter the other part of the neighborhood, adding unnecessary and what can be crucial minutes to their travel.
I grew up on a perfectly rectangular 1/8 mile by 1/16 mile grid and played in the streets, hung out in the front yard and traffic was not an issue. You could see cars coming half a block away, get off the street, and resume playing after they passed.

FHA regs make traffic more dangerous by funneling the same #of cars onto fewer roads and making people drive longer distances to get where they're going.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 5:32 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdiesel View Post
I grew up on a perfectly rectangular 1/8 mile by 1/16 mile grid and played in the streets, hung out in the front yard and traffic was not an issue. You could see cars coming half a block away, get off the street, and resume playing after they passed.

FHA regs make traffic more dangerous by funneling the same #of cars onto fewer roads and making people drive longer distances to get where they're going.
It was for speed control, curvy streets slowed cars down. And not being connected reduced the amount of cars using neighborhoods as cut throughs and kept the traffic to destination traffic.

We see the flaws in this now but it's not like it was illogical at the time when cars were gigantic and just becoming a main part of life.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:15 PM
Chris

Paul Levy to step down as Center City District president and CEO after 33 years
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Paul Levy will step down as president and CEO of Center City District at the end of 2023, closing out a 33-year run leading the organization.

Prema Katari Gupta, CCD's vice president for parks and public realm, will replace him in both roles effective Jan. 1, 2024.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development