HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 7:33 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,407
And this pour doesn't even cover half the actual building site, and is basically on top of the 2000 cu.yds. that were poured a month ago! When I stopped by a week ago or so, the matt of interwoven rebar looked maybe 8' thick, very impressive. Does anyone have a simple explanation of why such a thick slab is needed? I realize the idea is to spread the weight, the load factor, of the building over a wide area, but if what they were pouring over was bedrock, isn't the bedrock stable enough in itself to support the load of the building?
The eastern end of the site looks like they are nearing the bottom of the pit (but I've said that before!) Penn sure is a big believer in spending big bucks on places to park cars!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 10:41 PM
christof christof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 545
As of this past Monday, they were still digging into rock in the back half of the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:30 PM
RWSMADCONC RWSMADCONC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
And this pour doesn't even cover half the actual building site, and is basically on top of the 2000 cu.yds. that were poured a month ago! When I stopped by a week ago or so, the matt of interwoven rebar looked maybe 8' thick, very impressive. Does anyone have a simple explanation of why such a thick slab is needed? I realize the idea is to spread the weight, the load factor, of the building over a wide area, but if what they were pouring over was bedrock, isn't the bedrock stable enough in itself to support the load of the building?
The eastern end of the site looks like they are nearing the bottom of the pit (but I've said that before!) Penn sure is a big believer in spending big bucks on places to park cars!
Even rock has a "spring stiffness" like a posturpedic mattress. The mat or raft foundation is proportioned to distribute the column loads across large areas of the rock with limits of bearing pressure and settlement considered. The first pour was the lower mat for the core columns, the most recent was for the main footprint of the building. There is one more small mat pour up top, then a big pour down deep for the second core area within the parking portion. The tower is above both parts. The rest of the foundation in the south/deep part will look like any other building--square-ish pads, but there are large grade beams at the perimeter. Reinforcing and forms for those will start very soon .

Going deep is a calculated plan, as the high-bearing capacity rock is down there, so removal of lesser rock to get to the good stuff may as well be planned, and then putting parking there makes sense instead of above ground where it is ugly and inefficient for programming blocking and stacking of efficient, user-friendly care spaces.
The excavation is pretty close to being done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:29 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSMADCONC View Post
Even rock has a "spring stiffness" like a posturpedic mattress. The mat or raft foundation is proportioned to distribute the column loads across large areas of the rock with limits of bearing pressure and settlement considered. The first pour was the lower mat for the core columns, the most recent was for the main footprint of the building. There is one more small mat pour up top, then a big pour down deep for the second core area within the parking portion. The tower is above both parts. The rest of the foundation in the south/deep part will look like any other building--square-ish pads, but there are large grade beams at the perimeter. Reinforcing and forms for those will start very soon .

Going deep is a calculated plan, as the high-bearing capacity rock is down there, so removal of lesser rock to get to the good stuff may as well be planned, and then putting parking there makes sense instead of above ground where it is ugly and inefficient for programming blocking and stacking of efficient, user-friendly care spaces.
The excavation is pretty close to being done.

Thanks. Glad to have someone in the know passing on info.
So, at least at this site, the better rock is deeper, so there won't be the need for such a thick mat in the lower foundation because the rock there can handle the loads. On the upper section where the mat was just poured, would another option instead of the matt, have been drilled deep footers?
It sounds like parking might be confined to the eastern part, where there is still some digging taking place. And although I think HUP has a fetish about parking, I imagine they know their needs better then I do, and I'd rather have parking be in a hole instead of in a tower. My problem is more that HUP, Penn and Children's in general don't seem to realize that if for whatever reasons, good bad or indifferent, they keep bringing more and more cars into the area and are committed to providing parking, the actual parking is just part of the issue. General traffic gets to be more of a problem and it already backs up upon the expressway in certain hours. I live in the area and often need to drive and like any old fool I complain that its taking longer and longer to get to and from my home. The whole hospital area has grown and will continue to grow, and I wish the controlling powers would be just as interested in providing non-car options as they are in creating easy to park options.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:13 PM
CFOLLOW CFOLLOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Anyone got site photos?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:58 PM
Elevator1 Elevator1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 135










Today's progress.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:45 PM
CFOLLOW CFOLLOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Thank u. looks good. waiting to see the Structural steel to come in place... might be complex looking at the initial architectural renderings.

Wondering why don't they have a webcam on this one...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:31 PM
Human Scale's Avatar
Human Scale Human Scale is offline
More of that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 404
4 levels of underground parking? I'm basing this on the truck in the pit. That amount would definitely be needed and utilized here, in this health metropolis. But anything more than 3 levels down scares me. Has anyone ever been to the bottom of the Franklin Institute parking garage? You can feel the unease. Granted it's all in your head.

Does anybody know the furthest down a parking garage goes in Philadelphia?

Is there a limit, law or practicality?

The low hangers I know of: Liberty Place/Westin, Love Park, Franklin Institute. I think Perelman is only two or three levels down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:43 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
4 levels of underground parking? I'm basing this on the truck in the pit. That amount would definitely be needed and utilized here, in this health metropolis. But anything more than 3 levels down scares me. Has anyone ever been to the bottom of the Franklin Institute parking garage? You can feel the unease. Granted it's all in your head.

Does anybody know the furthest down a parking garage goes in Philadelphia?

Is there a limit, law or practicality?

The low hangers I know of: Liberty Place/Westin, Love Park, Franklin Institute. I think Perelman is only two or three levels down.
Not sure what the practical limits are (or what Philly's laws say), but there's one in Hangzhou that goes 12 levels underground. That is (or at least a few years ago was) the deepest in China, maybe the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:00 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,477
7/27/2017







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:06 PM
CFOLLOW CFOLLOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
cant see the building basement work
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:03 PM
CFOLLOW CFOLLOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Is the second pour done ? Anyone goy any photos?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:13 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOLLOW View Post
Is the second pour done ? Anyone goy any photos?
I don't have an answer for your question if your asking about the final pour on the upper section, but when I checked in last Sunday it looked like the grade beams were partially done in the lower/deeper hole and work was taking place on even deeper pits where the shafts for the core will probably go. It looks like the large pour for that lower section is still at least a month or two off.

This is going to be one BIG building. For all who like to count cranes, this site is sure to have more then one. If Penn is in a hurry to get this built I could easily see 3 or 4 being used for the election of the steel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:13 PM
RWSMADCONC RWSMADCONC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I don't have an answer for your question if your asking about the final pour on the upper section, but when I checked in last Sunday it looked like the grade beams were partially done in the lower/deeper hole and work was taking place on even deeper pits where the shafts for the core will probably go. It looks like the large pour for that lower section is still at least a month or two off.

This is going to be one BIG building. For all who like to count cranes, this site is sure to have more then one. If Penn is in a hurry to get this built I could easily see 3 or 4 being used for the election of the steel.
Upper section mat foundation is complete. There is precast concrete wall panels erection happening, plus a little cast-in-place wall action on the east side by the Museum. There will be shoring happening for a slab at the very north end, very soon.
South end has a two-pour core mat that is being set up now. That will be two pours of 2000 to 4000 yards. Other foundations are also in progress down there.Look for these pours in the next four weeks.
Two tower cranes-both big--- luffing jib-----one in north (Wolff 700B with 213 ft of stick) and one in the south (Wolff 1250B with 246 ft of stick)
Look for the North crane in the next couple of months.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #415  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:55 PM
CFOLLOW CFOLLOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Very surprised to see that there is no construction camera on this job. A job of this magnitude does have a camera for monitoring....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #416  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:00 PM
RWSMADCONC RWSMADCONC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOLLOW View Post
Very surprised to see that there is no construction camera on this job. A job of this magnitude does have a camera for monitoring....
There are two cameras run through "earthcam Control Center 8" but they are access-restricted......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #417  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 10:51 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,477
8/29/2017 - Really hard to get shots of this one right now



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #418  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 7:48 PM
CFOLLOW CFOLLOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 16
Anyone got pics?...no updates from a long time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #419  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:47 PM
christof christof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOLLOW View Post
Anyone got pics?...no updates from a long time
Just walked by the site today. Not much has changed since the last set of photos. Still digging in the back, still working on the cement foundation in the front.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #420  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:39 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,477
9/28/2017



Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.