HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:22 PM
World Traveler

^^ Building on ATX's post:
Quote:
Austin's Historic Landmark Commission approves relocation of Rainey Street bungalow

The bungalow located at 84 Rainey Street will be relocated to make way for a nearly 50-story residential project.
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...a-1a23fc34125f

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:42 PM

License Agreement for luffing crane filed with the city today. Doesn't this seem a bit early in the process? I feel like this one was just announced. A good sign this is moving forward I take it?

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=92564

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 5:06 PM

I've been wondering about this one, TBH . . . the flurry of announcements/coverage a couple of weeks back made me think maybe this one is moving more quickly than we're used to.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 12:34 PM

This project still needs to go the the PC and CC. It's on the PC agenda for next week. The reasons are that a heritage tree needs to be removed, and it needs a FAR increase greater than what the density bonus allowed.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:20 PM

NIMBY Rainey St Neighborhood association + NIMBY HOA members plan to protest this at next meeting. Just got the email and doc is below. Complaint is around access only through alley, but they seem to object anytime there is any sort of construction.

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do....cfm?id=376650

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
NIMBY Rainey St Neighborhood association + NIMBY HOA members plan to protest this at next meeting. Just got the email and doc is below. Complaint is around access only through alley, but they seem to object anytime there is any sort of construction.

these people have no shame. how are you going to live on Rainey and complain about new development?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
these people have no shame. how are you going to live on Rainey and complain about new development?
it is literally every project too. An email goes out to all the condo members and encourages everyone to write letters either delaying or disallowing any sort of development.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
it is literally every project too. An email goes out to all the condo members and encourages everyone to write letters either delaying or disallowing any sort of development.
Would that not be against some sort of FCC regulation - blasting emails to everyone?!?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 5:04 PM
Love Austin

The last three of these FAR increases to go before council were all housing and saw no votes from Tovo (no surprise) and Kitchen as well as nine yes votes.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 7:43 PM
Resident Moron

I am so happy Kitchen is on her way out.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:

Yup -- I live on Rainey and my building's HOA and general manager submitted letters to the PC, saying something to the effect of "we all object to this going forward" with some excuses about access to the alleyway.

I made sure to send a separate letter clarifying that no, everyone is not universally objecting to this. A few select quotes from it below:

"letters and objections from other individuals existing properties do not represent a unanimous or consensus view among residents of the neighborhood. Indeed, despite being misleadingly worded, objections from The Shore Condominiums are in no way indicative of the attitude of all condominium occupants. In any event, the use of and benefits derived from the Rainey Street area effects far more than residents of the neighborhood – it effects store and restaurant owners and employees, bar owners and employees, and the thousands of people (Austin residents, or otherwise) that visit Rainey Street on a continued basis. The Commission’s ultimate decision should not be significantly impacted by a small majority of residents who might otherwise object to this development, at the expense of thousands who would stand to benefit from the continued improvement to the Rainey Street neighborhood."

"Objections to the placement of 80 Rainey St’s parking garage aim to do precisely that. Such objections are a thinly-veiled excuse to stop any future development from occurring in the neighborhood, regardless of reason. These include, as the Planning Commission is undoubtedly aware: (1) placement and relocation of trees; (2) increased traffic; (3) an incorrect notion of increased housing costs for existing residents; or (4) stress on existing infrastructure. If the developers of 80 Rainey Street chose a different layout for the entrance of their parking garage, objections to this development would undoubtedly continue based on any of the above-listed standbys.

However, as can be shown by the successful development and completion of the Hotel Van Zandt, The Quincy, 70 Rainey, Skyhouse, and others, the neighborhood is entirely capable of adjusting to new circumstances. Objections of this nature are particularly egregious here, where the plans for 80 Rainey Street include street-level and second-floor commercial, retail, and restaurant space to an extent that puts many developments elsewhere in the city to shame."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 6:29 PM
Resident Moron

I just.. the raison d'être for Rainey is dense residential.

If you didn't want that you could move to Cedar Park or Old West Austin or literally anywhere.

The only people I feel bad for are folks who rented in Rainey 15 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Yup -- I live on Rainey and my building's HOA and general manager submitted letters to the PC, saying something to the effect of "we all object to this going forward" with some excuses about access to the alleyway.

I made sure to send a separate letter clarifying that no, everyone is not universally objecting to this. A few select quotes from it below:

"letters and objections from other individuals existing properties do not represent a unanimous or consensus view among residents of the neighborhood. Indeed, despite being misleadingly worded, objections from The Shore Condominiums are in no way indicative of the attitude of all condominium occupants. In any event, the use of and benefits derived from the Rainey Street area effects far more than residents of the neighborhood – it effects store and restaurant owners and employees, bar owners and employees, and the thousands of people (Austin residents, or otherwise) that visit Rainey Street on a continued basis. The Commission’s ultimate decision should not be significantly impacted by a small majority of residents who might otherwise object to this development, at the expense of thousands who would stand to benefit from the continued improvement to the Rainey Street neighborhood."

"Objections to the placement of 80 Rainey St’s parking garage aim to do precisely that. Such objections are a thinly-veiled excuse to stop any future development from occurring in the neighborhood, regardless of reason. These include, as the Planning Commission is undoubtedly aware: (1) placement and relocation of trees; (2) increased traffic; (3) an incorrect notion of increased housing costs for existing residents; or (4) stress on existing infrastructure. If the developers of 80 Rainey Street chose a different layout for the entrance of their parking garage, objections to this development would undoubtedly continue based on any of the above-listed standbys.

However, as can be shown by the successful development and completion of the Hotel Van Zandt, The Quincy, 70 Rainey, Skyhouse, and others, the neighborhood is entirely capable of adjusting to new circumstances. Objections of this nature are particularly egregious here, where the plans for 80 Rainey Street include street-level and second-floor commercial, retail, and restaurant space to an extent that puts many developments elsewhere in the city to shame."
Well Done!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 11:06 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Yep, I'll never understand someone who lives in a highrise downtown complaining about other highrises being built downtown so others can enjoy the neighborhood.

It just goes to show NIMBYs aren't just for SFH neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 12:40 AM

Yeah.

NIMBYism isn't some much a location based thing, but is really a frame of mind/way of thinking. Very FUGM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 11:43 PM

Looks like this was approved by the PC based on the Processes and Notes section of the Site Plan review. I don't think meeting minutes from yesterday's meeting are available yet. Let me know if I am interpreting this incorrectly.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
Looks like this was approved by the PC based on the Processes and Notes section of the Site Plan review. I don't think meeting minutes from yesterday's meeting are available yet. Let me know if I am interpreting this incorrectly.

Yes it passed 11-0-1. The CC is where NIMBY politics will be an issue.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 1:03 AM

NIMBY just stands for "Now That I've Got/Inherited Mine, No One Else Is Allowed In"

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:01 PM

This may have gained some height. A new FAA filing has it as 590'.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...434865&row=470

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:05 PM
クラブトクヨ

Awesome!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin