HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
West Campus was the original home of Seton Hospital - the original that built in 1902. That's why there's still a Seton Avenue in West Campus. It was at West 25th Street before they built their new campus at 38th Street.
My older brother was the Co-CEO of old Seton Hospital in the 1970s and oversaw the closure of that venerable building and the construction project of the current location on 35th.

Just before the hospital was demolished, brother & I went through and scavenged a few materials out of the empty building.
I pulled some cabinets out of a nurses’ station on the third floor, dragged them down the 3 flights of stairs and took them to my northeast Austin home (in the Four Seasons neighborhood) to install in my garage for use as a workbench.

When we moved up to Brushy Creek after my retirement in the late 1990s, we took the main base cabinet with us….and it is still serving as my workbench.
One of LBJ’s grandkids was born there in the early 1970s and a photo of him, Luci, and baby appeared on the cover of Life Magazine.
My two younger sons were born there not long afterwards and my wife was assigned that same room with the same leather recliner.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
My older brother was the Co-CEO of old Seton Hospital in the 1970s and oversaw the closure of that venerable building and the construction project of the current location on 35th.

Just before the hospital was demolished, brother & I went through and scavenged a few materials out of the empty building.
I pulled some cabinets out of a nurses’ station on the third floor, dragged them down the 3 flights of stairs and took them to my northeast Austin home (in the Four Seasons neighborhood) to install in my garage for use as a workbench.

When we moved up to Brushy Creek after my retirement in the late 1990s, we took the main base cabinet with us….and it is still serving as my workbench.
One of LBJ’s grandkids was born there in the early 1970s and a photo of him, Luci, and baby appeared on the cover of Life Magazine.
My two younger sons were born there not long afterwards and my wife was assigned that same room with the same leather recliner.
Thanks for sharing - that's fascinating stuff.

I remember going to visit my grant aunt Louise, who had suffered a heart attack or a stroke (I can't remember). The old building was in pretty bad shape, and I still remember the smell (it was a hospital smell, but with something extra...), but I still loved it. To the kid I was at the time, it was very old world - almost european - and romantic.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:06 PM

When we went on that scavenging run through the empty, very musty building, it was half dark inside and felt weirdly eerie.
The light beams shining in from the chapel windows reminded me of a noir film by Federico Fellini.
A professional photographer would’ve had a field day using up rolls of film in there.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 9:14 PM
randalls

Here is a shot I took looking south on Nueces St at 22nd.
I like how you can start to see the density of West Campus flowing into downtown from this viewpoint.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:26 AM

Nueces Oaks Condomiums at 2710 Nueces St have been demolished. Anyone know what's coming next?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippi View Post
Nueces Oaks Condomiums at 2710 Nueces St have been demolished. Anyone know what's coming next?
A permit search for that address indicates that it is a six-story Apt. building.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A permit search for that address indicates that it is a six-story Apt. building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 10:23 PM

Just driving north on the Drag on my way home for the day — the whole Goodall Wooten block, minus the church but including the building with the Hi How Are You mural is empty and covered with graffiti. Something’s gotta be up. Anyone have any intel on what’s coming to that corner?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 10:31 PM

Have not seen any site plans filed for that address but there is an active demo permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Just driving north on the Drag on my way home for the day — the whole Goodall Wooten block, minus the church but including the building with the Hi How Are You mural is empty and covered with graffiti. Something’s gotta be up. Anyone have any intel on what’s coming to that corner?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 7:57 PM

The demo permits for the Goodall Wooten block trace back to multi-family developer OHT Partners. The height limit on the site is 90'. It would be nice to see apartments over street level retail.

https://www.ohtpartners.com/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
Have not seen any site plans filed for that address but there is an active demo permit.
Demo has begun, that stretch is now blocked off.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 2:53 PM

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 2:56 PM

I would think that the Daniel Johnston mural would be preserved. But I haven't heard anything about. Demo should have been on an HLC agenda at some point in time.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 3:27 PM
randalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This older article from 2019 also says American Campus Communities will be redeveloping the land into new student housing after the Goodall Wooten bldg is demolished. Apologies if that was already mentioned below. (And yes, my hope is they preserve that Daniel Johnston mural somehow as well):

https://thedailytexan.com/2019/03/12...o-new-student/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 4:02 PM

At Paper Work (Parts and Labour) they have a art print of this mural where it's no longer part of the building and is some sort of monument. Would be really cool to see it preserved as an art piece.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 5:01 PM

I guess there's always a chance for something awful to happen, but that mural is a pretty major part of Austin culture. Maybe I'm naive but I have to assume they've taken that into account.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:32 PM

Rambler

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 4:28 AM

Via Reddit

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 10:42 AM

Shouldn’t the developer be doing a lot more to keep it safe during construction?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Cortado

Quote:
TMG+ is providing Project Management on our second student housing project with the development partnership of WGC. Preliminary site demo has been completed to make way for the 8-story, 155-unit facility located in Austin, Texas. Amenities will include retail space, a dog park, fitness area, pool with outdoor lounge space, sky lounge and a student study area.

Last edited by Urbannizer; May 2, 2023 at 9:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin