HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

The One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 2:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So weird that the corner floor plates are being put in later, and not along with the rest of each floor. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them going in finally, but wondering why from a construction scheduling standpoint, they would opt to do that.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
So weird that the corner floor plates are being put in later, and not along with the rest of each floor. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them going in finally, but wondering why from a construction scheduling standpoint, they would opt to do that.
The hangers span several floors and are not installed until the super columns are poured (with brackets) at the upper level of their section. Then they come back and build the corner floors around them.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwithOlives View Post
The hangers span several floors and are not installed until the super columns are poured (with brackets) at the upper level of their section. Then they come back and build the corner floors around them.
I have not seen this technique used before. Is it new, or are there other building using this hanger technique? And if used before, when was it first used?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:55 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
No idea. Sometimes it takes forever for staff to send back comments on an application - I've seen it take over a year for that alone in some cases, particularly for "low priority" files.

To be clear - it's a resubmission, they submitted documents asking for the height increase 2 years ago, and made a resubmission to address comments this year.

I imagine Staff will review the resubmission now, go back and forth on a finalized by-law, then put in front of Council for approval in the spring following the election cycle this fall (provided staff are supportive of the application).

This project has been slow as hell, but has also been dogged by tons of uncontrollable delays which makes it seem even worse. It just got off a 5-6 week labour strike which paused construction yet again.
Ah. Thanks for clearing it up.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:02 PM

The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

Lotsa concrete pouring today (walls and super columns).

BloorMan

Benito

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:33 PM

The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

Assembling the first Otis SkyBuild construction elevators in the country which climb with the tower (crews have indoor access to the highest completed floor). Converts to SkyRise high speed elevators when the building is topped out in 2034 ;-).

Benito

Benito

Johnny Au

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 7:09 PM
I am the law!

First self climbing construction elevators used in North America (supposedly) were Kone's Jumplift across the street.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
First self climbing construction elevators used in North America (supposedly) were Kone's Jumplift across the street.
That's interesting... made me look it up and you're right about One Bloor East using Kone's Jumplift (used widely in Asia, Europe and Middle East, but a first for North America).

Can't see any evidence of the actual system in action in this very first bird's eye view of 1 Bloor East construction shot back in 2014... from UT forum member Benito who also has been providing literally thousands of photos of The One (One Bloor West).

One Bloor East (2014) first bird's eye photo from Benito

Benito

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 6:01 AM

I guess I’m too dumb to see these fantastical elevators. Where are they exactly?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:49 PM

Here's some assembly progress of the self-climbing system at The One and a YouTube link to how it works (see 2 minute mark and beyond for the good stuff).

Benito

Otis SkyBuild video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ec2YT8cvZc

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:44 PM
DENNAB

What level is it currently on? This is painful

I think the title should be changed back to 1,012 since that seems to be the final height.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 6:01 PM

The 1,110ft height will likely be approved, it just hasn't been yet. I wouldn't change it back quite yet.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The 1,110ft height will likely be approved, it just hasn't been yet. I wouldn't change it back quite yet.
What makes you say that? I'm thinking the opposite.
I'd love to be wrong though?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:45 AM

Why does it even matter? Not like we’re going to see it hit it’s final height in our lifetimes.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:19 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I have not seen this technique used before. Is it new, or are there other building using this hanger technique? And if used before, when was it first used?
There's some buildings built before that were entirely suspended from the top of the core. Here's one during demolition before being replaced by the cheesegrater in London.

https://www.derelictlondon.com/derel...n-offices.html

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76samian View Post
What makes you say that? I'm thinking the opposite.
I'd love to be wrong though?
The fact that they haven't appealed it yet tells me they are expecting some level of support for it from the city. We'll have to see if they get a positive report to council in the fall supporting it or not.

It's definitely not dead, we last got an update on it in April.. they are still pushing for it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 3:23 PM
I am the law!

Way I see it ... This is a thread in the supertall construction forum. 309 is being constructed in accordance to the building permits with 339 being proposed. 309 also matches the SSP database as its status is under construction instead of proposed. That's the thing for me. The link to the building data page having a different height from the thread looks amateurish. The zoning situation is undeniably complex though.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:48 PM

Don't disagree on that. It's an unusual case where what is getting built is not what is proposed. I'd be fine with downgrading the thread height until it gets approved, I just want to make sure that the developer is still planning to build to 1,110ft and it's not at all that the idea has been dropped.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:12 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

On the building page, in the info section, it mentions the height increase twice.

https://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=105731

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:32 AM

The One | An Epic Skyscraper Drama l Seasons 1 through 4 now available on NUTFLICKS l WARNING! some scenes may include pouring of concrete, on-site workers, graphic laying of rebar and constant rumours of financial collapse.
Not suitable for non-residents over the age of 50 years.

Season 4 - Episode 17
Looks like the base for a mini-crane, which is part of the self-climbing construction elevators' formworks. Parts are being delivered for the SkyBuild construction elevators which grow with the building. Otis is providing four SkyBuild construction elevators, which convert to SkyRise elevators when construction is complete (total of 11 SkyRise elevators in the tower and 8 Gen2 elevators).

Benito

thaivic

In this exciting episode, hundreds of unemployed construction workers from Texas showed up to help speed up construction.

thaivic

Actually Pride spectators risking life and limb for a view ;-).

dodgeram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction