HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:34 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Not to overlook Glasgow's cute lil subway either though...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transp...rs-1469166?amp

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:46 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

oh yeah bring that 4/5ths scale glasgow metro or whatever is going on there thats some sick shit!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:52 AM

nottingham again...

thetram.net

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:54 AM

see thats robinhood on the tram. i mean glasgow or new castle, dont get me wrong. but hard to beat that.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:11 AM

Newcastle isn't a cool city. It's depressing as hell. Maybe some interesting blocks, but it seemed like a living set for Trainspotting or a Morrissey video.

Nottingham seemed kinda blah, not really touristy but a reasonably pleasant place to live. I think that Sherwood Forest must have been plowed over centuries ago, though. The Nottingham area seemed to be mostly farmland.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

I just want to give it a hug and feed it out of my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Newcastle isn't a cool city. It's depressing as hell. Maybe some interesting blocks, but it seemed like a living set for Trainspotting or a Morrissey video.
That sounds sweet. I've been taken with this idea of Newcastle as something like Manchester, but without Mancunians. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 10:07 AM
if I sang out of tune

Nottingham (city proper pop 800,000) has a rep in the UK for a meh place to be, which everyone foreign imagines a beautiful medieval village but Brits think a workaday town bombed in the war and whose castle was demolished. It's found it hard to shake the reputation despite that it's replaced much of its ugly concrete with local vernacular in brick and stone. Though the kids love it for its student orientated culture in shopping and nightlife.

In lockdown:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...lands.2226562/

https://www.leftlion.co.uk/media/491...ne-1-of-16.jpg

Not lockdown (but much thinned due to Covid):

Video Link

Newcastle (city proper pop 450,000) is more vibrant and has epic, slightly decaying cityscapes like you crossed Jane Austen (golden sandstone classicism) with industrial steampunk and some poundshops and ugly AF concrete. It's world famous for its nightlife, which is what you'd call fun and very messy -you'll also need a translator for their impossible accent.

In a region of deprivation (the British rustbelt), it's had a lot of regeneration since the 90s but is still gritty. Sublime streetscapes mix with sudden pockets of poverty.

Note this is BEFORE Covid with a lack of crowds and many closed up shops, despite the beautiful architecture. The mix is amazing, Victorian Chinatowns by medieval walls and office parks, then scudding brutalism before regency streets:

Video Link

It transforms after dark and is world famous for its nightlife, said to be the best in the country for its perma-tanned trash passed out on pavements -badly dressed, super friendly and noone cares, which is unheard of in the south. And they don't have coats (only one person in the pics below). This is literally hell for Londoners.

Last edited by muppet; Apr 19, 2021 at 8:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:33 AM

thanks for adding some depth here muppet. i think the below world-famous picture came to mind for me - albeit manchester:

mirror.co.uk

ive never seen anything like this in the u.s., not even new orleans that i recall. st patricks day or mardi gras (in st louis or new orleans) i guess but not just a normal night out. its like everyone just starts drinking at the same time and stands on the gas until they are soaked, lol. a lot of americans smoke weed so that (can) temper things i guess.

Last edited by Centropolis; Apr 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 3:08 PM

LOL. The UK might be the only country that can out-Jerry Springer the U.S.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 4:23 PM

I’ve seen those drunk British pictures before, but it’s crazy how they don’t feel cold. Too much alcohol? Drugs?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 4:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I’ve seen those drunk British pictures before, but it’s crazy how they don’t feel cold. Too much alcohol?
Yep, it's called an "alcohol sweater".

Same exact thing with those drunk shirtless fans you see at american football games in the wintertime.

The alcohol doesn't actually make one feel warmer, just oblivious to the cold.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep, it's called an "alcohol sweater".

Same exact thing with those drunk shirtless fans you see at american football games in the wintertime.

The alcohol doesn't actually make one feel warmer, just oblivious to the cold.
It must be an enormous amount of alcohol. Although very rarely, I can drink quiet a lot, but never came anywhere close to completely lose my mind nor being oblivious to cold.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

The subway cars look very similar to the ones used in the London Underground.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
LOL. The UK might be the only country that can out-Jerry Springer the U.S.
Well, the US was spawned from the UK after all.

Oh my, did I say that?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:02 PM
video et taceo

I was there for a weekend in 2013 or so for an Echo and the Bunnymen show. The decades have not been kind.

Nottingham was constantly defying my attempts to gauge its scale, appearing one moment like a large-ish town and the next as a substantial city.

The going out vibe is much less like those infamous photos than, say, Manchester or Newcastle, but England is still England.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Nottingham (city proper pop 800,000) has a rep in the UK for a meh place to be, which everyone foreign thinks a beautiful medieval village but Brits think a workaday town bombed in the war and whose castle was demolished. It's found it hard to shake the reputation despite that it's replaced much of its ugly concrete with local vernacular in brick and stone. Though the kids love it for its student orientated culture in shopping and nightlife.
Nottingham does not have 800,000 people city proper. That would literally make it the 3rd biggest city proper in the UK, bigger than Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester and a bit behind Birmingham (1.1 million).

Nottingham city proper is 321,500. The 800,000 was probably urban area.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:54 AM

What is the feel of York? It's high on my England list for the Minster and the Railway museum, but I don't know its character beyond that.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:58 AM
if I sang out of tune

York's a beautiful medieval town (technically a cathedral 'city' thanks to the presence of one), pop 200,000.

Other than the aforementioned attractions, it's also famous for its Viking history (Jorvik museum and festivals) as it was invaded in 866 by Ivar the Boneless to have a new country set up under 'Danelaw'. Also for getting flooded every winter, and an infamous hotel that is suprisingly cheap and classy -till you find out it's above a banging nightclub. Yorkshire people are 'celebrated' for their honesty, charm and friendliness, which to southerners means they're loud, obnoxious and rude. They have a high incidence of Sandinavian (blondes) and African DNA, thanks to the invasions from Denmark and Imperial Rome.

www.telegraph.co.uk

https://luxurylaunches.com, https://thewanderingquinn.com

It's a mix of medieval, Georgian and Victorian

www.telegraph.co.uk

www.yorkconservatives.co.uk

Viking shit

www.yorkmix.com

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...77a-xlarge.jpg

Nearby is the North Yorkshire Moors National Park, very Celtic, haunted and Poldarkian.

The local food is very good and hi spec -try a roast dinner, preferably on Sunday when all the pubs do specials, swimming in gravy and everything designed to be mixed n matched.

The two tumours on the left are the famous Yorkshire puddings -fluffy, bready pastries to soak up the gravy.

Apparently in America they've named another little town after the place, or summat.

Last edited by muppet; Apr 19, 2021 at 8:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:59 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Nottingham does not have 800,000 people city proper. That would literally make it the 3rd biggest city proper in the UK, bigger than Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester and a bit behind Birmingham (1.1 million).

Nottingham city proper is 321,500. The 800,000 was probably urban area.

Yep urban area, Brum and Manchester are over 3 million in UA.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:14 AM
if I sang out of tune

Newcastle's hinterland is one of deprivation, and one of England's best kept secrets, in a scudding, atmospheric way. The coast is amazing -Northumbria, of bleak moors, isolated fishing villages, lonely monasteries, and studded with castles and ruins. Historically it's the heavily guarded no man's land before the heathen, bum-baring Scots.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...n_7436656.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--s4w4eROAQ...n%2Bbridge.JPG

Inland lies Hadrian's Wall - a 117km Roman fortification built on a natural escarpment that you can hike through Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and national parks.

https://mediacloud.theweek.co.uk/ima...rians_wall.jpg

Last edited by muppet; Apr 19, 2021 at 8:27 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions