HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:13 PM

Cedar Street is proposing a 15 story building with up to 110 units just north of the Bush Temple of Music on Chicago & Clark, which they're currently renovating to have about the same number of units. The two buildings just north of it would be demolished for this. I think one has empty retail/commercial space while the other is a bar/lounge

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...le-of-music-in

Also mentioned in this article: the developer of the Ed Debevic's tower plans to break ground in 5 weeks.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Also mentioned in this article: the developer of the Ed Debevic's tower plans to break ground in 5 weeks.
That was fast, wonder if Gino's will also be breaking ground around then? Wells and Chicago Ave corridors are just scorching hot right now.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Cedar Street is proposing a 15 story building with up to 110 units just north of the Bush Temple of Music on Chicago & Clark, which they're currently renovating to have about the same number of units. The two buildings just north of it would be demolished for this. I think one has empty retail/commercial space while the other is a bar/lounge
You mean the one Spyguy found last week?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
You mean the one Spyguy found last week?
Nice - I definitely missed that.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Nice - I definitely missed that.
I think he also brought up the church on Huron too. I don't know who he is, but he gets some great scoops.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:02 AM
North Beach Style

Just returned from a meeting where a developer is proposing the demo of two vintage buildings at 450-454 W Belmont and replacing it with an 18 story tower including 90 units. Base has lobby and three levels of parking. Love the density, hate the loss of historic streetscape. New building nothing special...Architect is Antunovich. They had full renderings, ill see if I can get my hands on them.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 4:19 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
Love the density, hate the loss of historic streetscape.
They're good looking buildings too.. =/
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Just returned from a meeting where a developer is proposing the demo of two vintage buildings at 450-454 W Belmont and replacing it with an 18 story tower including 90 units. Base has lobby and three levels of parking. Love the density, hate the loss of historic streetscape. New building nothing special...Architect is Antunovich. They had full renderings, ill see if I can get my hands on them.
Oh joy (on the architect). Should be a doozy.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 12:52 PM
BANNED

9/30

London House, Hampton, Chicago Motor Club

This triangle block has become one of my favorite groupings of buildings on earth. No single building is perfect, but it's nearly every style of the last 100+ years. And, most importantly, not one sq foot of land is wasted.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:50 PM
North Beach Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
They're good looking buildings too.. =/
I felt the same way looking at streetview, but I walked over there this morning to take a look and the current buildings are in rough shape, not particularly attractive and don't contribute a whole lot to the streetscape since they're set back and have a driveway separating them. After seeing the site in person, I'm good with higher density redevelopment. Mitigating the parking deck on the first 3 stories will be the key to this one. Unfortunately there is no alley so a garage door takes up about 40% of the front facade.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:16 PM
tilted & shifted

Look out: The Clybourn Corridor is about to get more crowded

Quote:
Deerfield developer Chuck Malk has proposed a two-tower residential project with 407 units at the southwest corner of Weed and Fremont streets.
The taller of the two towers is about 340 feet.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I felt the same way looking at streetview, but I walked over there this morning to take a look and the current buildings are in rough shape, not particularly attractive and don't contribute a whole lot to the streetscape since they're set back and have a driveway separating them. After seeing the site in person, I'm good with higher density redevelopment. Mitigating the parking deck on the first 3 stories will be the key to this one. Unfortunately there is no alley so a garage door takes up about 40% of the front facade.
there are lots of houses in chicago that are set back from the street, i dont think that means they need to be demolished tho. things in rough shape can be restored.

with what youre describing (giant garage door fronting the sidewalk) i dont see how thats an improvement over something existing and rather handsome.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

moderator note:

i moved all of the condo vs. SFH discussion to the chicago general development thread since it was getting way off topic for the highrise thread.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:27 PM

805 LaSalle

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:30 PM
The City

^ Thanks for those detailed shots. It's a nice tower that treats the Chicago Ave side quite well. But there is really nothing positive I can say about that blank wall along LaSalle.

At least in the prewar era blank walls had some interesting ornamentation. But now....blah

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:31 PM

10-1-15.

[IMG][/IMG]

171 N. Halsted from 118 N. Jefferson!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:31 PM

Chestnut/State

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Thanks for those detailed shots. It's a nice tower that treats the Chicago Ave side quite well. But there is really nothing positive I can say about that blank wall along LaSalle.

At least in the prewar era blank walls had some interesting ornamentation. But now....blah
You know, it's a simple, textured, nicely proportioned little box. For what it is, it's not making itself out to be anything other than what it is, and I appreciate that. It allows for a seamless coupling of the building with the sidewalk at Chicago, too. It's not unpleasant to walk by, either (though, the spectre of exhaust fumes as you walk by, whether they're present or not, is unnerving). It blows Flair tower or the Fordham or the new Jones Chicago (or whatever that's called) out of the water. Superseded only by Contemporaine, for my own tastes.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:41 PM
The City

^ I see your point, and being on these Chicago forums for 11 years now I get the whole Chicago mantra of "buildings must be themselves".

I respect that.

But a blank wall at street level is a blank fucking wall at street level. I don't want blank walls to "be themselves" when we are trying to build an interesting, pedestrian-friendly environment. I guess I'll never be able to accept that.

Perhaps the "New York" in me is still residing in there somewhere. I'd rather have some kind of activity--even artwork, bilboards, or graffiti--some sign of life, facing the sidewalk than swaths of pale concrete.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:48 PM

^I definitely understand that. The minimalist in me likes the way they treated this one, and they're not bullshitting me, which I like.

I actually really liked the plain, blank concrete of the elevator core for the Division/Ashland tower, and I was disappointed when they covered it up with whatever mural/advertisement they put up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations