HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:18 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Thank you. The map below is a major help, for those like me who have simply lost track of all this west loop insanity.

via Curbed Chicago
I don't recall 345 (the parking garage and multiplex cinemas) being approved at the last City DPD meeting (Feb); was it deferred to this month?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I don't recall 345 (the parking garage and multiplex cinemas) being approved at the last City DPD meeting (Feb); was it deferred to this month?
It was deferred to a later date. It's not on this month's agenda either

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:05 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The buildings going up in the Fulton area remind me a lot of places like Kendall Square in Cambridge, Mass., or South Lake Union in Seattle. Fancy new buildings of a midrise scale.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:18 PM

^ It would be really cool for that area to have a plethora of those size buildings and make a cool "nightlife district" west of halsted. As long as they put alot of resteraunts, bars and shopping that could turn into a pretty lively area which could spread some more 30-40 floor apartment buildings farther west keeping this boom constant.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The buildings going up in the Fulton area remind me a lot of places like Kendall Square in Cambridge, Mass., or South Lake Union in Seattle. Fancy new buildings of a midrise scale.
From your lips to god's ears on that second comparison...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This one's beautiful. And i'm betting the glass will be really nice based on SB's track record.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

Source: https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/25...s-sterling-bay

They're tearing down Coyne to build 330 N. Green. 333 is on lot east of Coyne, 360 is the lot north of Coyne. The movie theater is 345 N. Sangamon.

On this map with the superimposed site plans for 330/333/360 North Green, it seems that 360 isn't making any accommodations for the lead tracks to the West Loop Transportation Center complex.

One can certainly debate the usefulness and necessity of the WLTC in the first place, but it does seem a waste to force K Station to draw their entire master plan around that right-of-way, and yet completely abandon it here.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:57 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
On this map with the superimposed site plans for 330/333/360 North Green, it seems that 360 isn't making any accommodations for the lead tracks to the West Loop Transportation Center complex.

One can certainly debate the usefulness and necessity of the WLTC in the first place, but it does seem a waste to force K Station to draw their entire master plan around that right-of-way, and yet completely abandon it here.
I understand what you mean, but if they really wanted to build a bullet train then they could easily find a solution to it by tunneling under the existing tracks of building some sort of double decker train bridge over that short stretch. Hardly kills any plan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:

They are turning that section into a park sandwiched between the tracks and the building.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 6:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:

I agree with you... it would be great if smart planning in the 2000s allowed us to build a good HSR station in the 2030s with a minimum of tunneling. Obviously there's no will (or money) to build anything like that today, but eventually we'll figure it out. The bare minimum we can do today is preserve right-of-way.

However - 360 N Green hasn't been approved yet, the only approvals are for 330 and 333. Perhaps this issue will be addressed. Selfishly, I would love a movie theater at 345 N Morgan that I could ride the Pink Line to, and then grab a drink at the Ace afterward... but this site may strategically be better for Sterling Bay's third office tower.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:52 AM

Article on some Sears renovation details.

https://www.energymanagertoday.com/w...ition-0175640/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:59 PM

333 green. A look inside. Views are going to be killer from the roof lounge.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/13...renderings-som

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
333 green. A look inside. Views are going to be killer from the roof lounge.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/13...renderings-som
*330 Green.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:56 PM

Union West breaking ground later this month...!

More info--
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...ny-minute-now/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I agree with you... it would be great if smart planning in the 2000s allowed us to build a good HSR station in the 2030s with a minimum of tunneling. Obviously there's no will (or money) to build anything like that today, but eventually we'll figure it out. The bare minimum we can do today is preserve right-of-way.

However - 360 N Green hasn't been approved yet, the only approvals are for 330 and 333. Perhaps this issue will be addressed.....
It looks like only the north side of the row needs to be preserved, and that SB outline for 360 includes that narrow sliver. If they do own it the city could still request/require set aside. Also IIRC there was talk from Metra/CDOT/SB?? about adding a Metra stop in the WL.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:07 PM

We need more neighborhoods where the trains run at grade full speed down the middle of the street. They should leave Fulton Market like that and they should relocate the metra tracks in the 78 to just rip down the middle of the Wells Wentworth connector like the South Shore Line in Indiana.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
We need more neighborhoods where the trains run at grade full speed down the middle of the street. They should leave Fulton Market like that and they should relocate the metra tracks in the 78 to just rip down the middle of the Wells Wentworth connector like the South Shore Line in Indiana.
Dee agrees !

Green/METRA

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I loved these too as a kid, but no. Can we compromise and put the viaducts above ground, so you still get to see the choo-choo?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I loved these too as a kid, but no. Can we compromise and put the viaducts above ground, so you still get to see the choo-choo?
Yeah, Metra running at grade, in the middle of the street, through parts of the city seems like a bad idea to me from a public safety perspective.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Yeah, Metra running at grade, in the middle of the street, through parts of the city seems like a bad idea to me from a public safety perspective.
..at full speed... should be a million laughs. You could sell tickets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations