HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

The typical response to this framing is that if we had not freaked out about covid a vastly larger number of people would have died.
this is literally religious unfalsifiable thinking. You cant know what would have happened. Good thing we invaded Iraq before Sadam conquered the earth! Imagine what would have happened if we didn't! We'd all be subjects of the planetary Baath party!

I would argue that if we had not become the spectacle it was it would have probably stayed 3rd page news about a Wuhan flu epidemic that spread and was causing busy emergency rooms like many many many flue and other illness epidemics have in the past.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
this is literally religious unfalsifiable thinking. You cant know what would have happened. Good thing we invaded Iraq before Sadam conquered the earth! Imagine what would have happened if we didn't! We'd all be subjects of the planetary Baath party!

I would argue that if we had not become the spectacle it was it would have probably stayed 3rd page news about a Wuhan flu epidemic that spread and was causing busy emergency rooms like many many many flue and other illness epidemics have in the past.
I think it would have been worse than other similar events in recent decades but far below the worst-case scenarios even without the society-wide mitigation measures which probably did little in the long run and had a catastrophically bad cost-benefit. I agree with you about the falsifiability problem and most people seem to have a hard time seeing this or why it's a problem.

One thing we can see even right now with omicron (maybe the 4th or 5th time this same thing has happened) is that rather than rapidly infecting everybody the spread tends to be limited long before then. With omicron the spread was fast (maybe faster generation time) and the peak came quite quickly. But it's hard because people want to know what will happen in the future and so the false certainty of the simple models is alluring, or they're held up as a kind of "worst-case scenario" we must always plan for (even though we don't have the resources to respond to every potential threat in this way). Furthermore many people attribute peaks and declines in cases to whatever they want, which could be expanded mitigation measures (even though around here most of the same stuff has been in place for many months now). Many people will look at the "wave-like" case curves and make up a story that fits their views, which around here mostly means faith in masks and social distancing, etc.

I wonder how much the mitigation measures are extending the pain at this point. Even if all we cared about were hospitals I wonder if our strategy makes sense.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ I'd be more than happy if we finally outlawed cars once and for all!

They're WAY more fucking dangerous than stupid covid for like 90% of the population.
As long as they continue to allow internal combustion powered sports cars, I'm ok with this.

Less cars on the road, less grandmas and housewives driving slow in the left lane, and more joyrides! We all win!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
As long as they continue to allow internal combustion powered sports cars, I'm ok with this.
No.

ALL cars.

You are not special.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 18, 2022 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:30 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yes and statistically speaking you're unlikely to die from being castrated. Doesn't mean I don't want to avoid that.
Your efforts at not getting castrated does not put people out of work, keep the economy down, and lead to the Feds printing money and rampant inflation thoughout.

Every time the germaphobes that the current leaders put in charge have a shit fit about a new variant, TONS of working class people trying to make ends meet miss out on a paycheck or two, or three, if not losing their jobs altogether. And scores of more businesses close.

That point continues to sail over your head.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
No

ALL cars.

You are not special.
No deal. I am special.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

I am special.
I got some disappointing news for ya, snowflake.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Your efforts at not getting castrated does not put people out of work, keep the economy down, and lead to the Feds printing money and rampant inflation thoughout.

Every time the germaphobes that the current leaders put in charge have a shit fit about a new variant, TONS of working class people trying to make ends meet miss out on a paycheck or two, or three, if not losing their jobs altogether. And scores of more businesses close.

That point continues to sail over your head.
Isn't the US with an all time low unemployment? You shouldn't worry so much.

And inflation, it comes and goes. FED will increase interests and it will disappear. Meanwhile, it prevented the economic collapse of the US economy.

-----------------------------------------------

This discussion about newborns getting Covid is completely nonsensical. It's OBVIOUS, as a parent, you don't want your kid to take a virus (or any virus for that matter) that has killed 1 million Americans in the past two years.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think it would have been worse than other similar events in recent decades but far below the worst-case scenarios even without the society-wide mitigation measures which probably did little in the long run and had a catastrophically bad cost-benefit. I agree with you about the falsifiability problem and most people seem to have a hard time seeing this or why it's a problem.

One thing we can see even right now with omicron (maybe the 4th or 5th time this same thing has happened) is that rather than rapidly infecting everybody the spread tends to be limited long before then. With omicron the spread was fast (maybe faster generation time) and the peak came quite quickly. But it's hard because people want to know what will happen in the future and so the false certainty of the simple models is alluring, or they're held up as a kind of "worst-case scenario" we must always plan for (even though we don't have the resources to respond to every potential threat in this way). Furthermore many people attribute peaks and declines in cases to whatever they want, which could be expanded mitigation measures (even though around here most of the same stuff has been in place for many months now). Many people will look at the "wave-like" case curves and make up a story that fits their views, which around here mostly means faith in masks and social distancing, etc.

I wonder how much the mitigation measures are extending the pain at this point. Even if all we cared about were hospitals I wonder if our strategy makes sense.
Agree. We can debate what degree of lockdown was appropriate in the spring of 2020, but by 2022, the answer is pretty obvious: locking everything down even now that everyone's vaccinated and we've switched to dominant strain that's weaker than a cold is not a good economic cost-benefit calculation at all.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Agree. We can debate what degree of lockdown was appropriate in the spring of 2020, but by 2022, the answer is pretty obvious: locking everything down even now that everyone's vaccinated and we've switched to dominant strain that's weaker than a cold is not a good economic cost-benefit calculation at all.
It's interesting now to look back at the various scientists who commented and how they were treated. Lots of people believe we "follow the science".

The ones who did some early serology studies were completely trashed publicly even though their estimates looked pretty good in the long run and we eventually sort of had to accept their findings. It was obvious even in March 2020 that covid was not killing 3-5% of people for example and probably not even 1% of infections in many populations. One of the guys who got trashed was a star of scientific meta-analysis, maybe one of the most cited people in the world.

There was another guy (Michael Levitt, biophysicist with Nobel prize) who made basic observations (stuff like "derivative is going down, spread is not going to take off in the way you guys say") and he got trashed.

The people arguing for focused protection of the most vulnerable (Great Barrington) got smeared too. Since that time an email leaked from the NIH director that asked for a "take-down" of this group.

I don't think anybody had any silver-bullet solutions but if we had been able to have an open and honest conversation that was less fear driven it might have gone better IMO. This was a total fail to deploy the resources we have effectively due to politics. One big political problem is that big pharma basically "saving us" does not fit into the worldview of a lot of people, so they have to emphasize other things. As for me, I don't care if my altar that I pray to has an Anthony Fauci or Theresa Tam doll or a Pfizer logo.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:27 PM

You can order 4 covid tests now per address:
https://special.usps.com/testkits

USA only

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:30 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
OMG, just what I've been waiting for!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I thought you were busy planning another insurrection?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:

USA only
Now the paranoid don’t ever have to leave their homes.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:05 PM
The City

Quote:

USA only
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Now the paranoid don’t ever have to leave their homes.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 9:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:

USA only
I ordered mine a couple hours ago. I have a wedding coming up, I'll save a test for that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:10 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Does it really suck that you were advocating against testing, and now every American household can get 4?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

It may even be that the same number of people would have gotten it pre-vaccination, but in a shorter period of time. And since the vast majority of people don’t get anything close to requiring hospital treatment, the “overwhelmed healthcare system” problem could have been prevented by prudence on the part of vulnerable people (particularly the elderly).

Of course they refused to do that (my own 73-year old father was complaining in May 2020 that it would be “unfair” to let young people enjoy themselves if old people could not, as if fairness had anything to do with it).

Quote:
No deal. I am special.
We have this in common.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:23 PM
BANNED

I think everybody with health insurance can get up to 8 tests per month now at no expense. I got an email from KP with the details.

Quote:
Kaiser Permanente to cover cost of COVID-19 rapid antigen home tests
Following guidance from the Biden administration, Kaiser Permanente will now reimburse members for FDA-approved rapid antigen home tests. Submit a reimbursement claim here for tests purchased on or after January 15, 2022.

Currently, there is a nationwide shortage of rapid antigen home tests. Kaiser Permanente, like other health care organizations, has access to a very limited supply of tests. We are working to get tests and make them available to our members through a number of outlets, including mail-order. We will share further details as they become available.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
I ordered mine a couple hours ago. I have a wedding coming up, I'll save a test for that.
In all seriousness, I ordered mine as well.

Of course, not because I am worried about COVID, but in case we're required to clear testing by this authoritarian regime we're living in right now

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions