HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:10 PM

LOVE the design (pending more realistic renderings).

but, its too bad one of the prettiest buildings in the city will be named after one of our worst presidents.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:41 PM

Questions

The spire to me takes away from the organic eroding rock look but in any case the height is maxed out.

We are choosing glass carefully and haven't made a final selection but it will be a lighter blue to possibly a cobalt blue and may be mirrored. We are being very careful that it will not come across as dark or gray. The clouds are a rendered reflection and are not in the glass. We are also looking into lighting options similar to Cira Center's type but it's expensive. In all likelihood there will be some sort of changeable color lighting at least in the top third.

There is a restaurant and lobby for the W at street level where the music gets turned up at night with a VIP section. On the top of the podium is another destination bar with an outdoor pool and cabanas. The pool is heated year round and will also be heated in the winter similar to a ski resorts pool.

At the top will be very nice W suites with large terraces.

I'm afraid that's all I can add for now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:55 PM

I really like this, the crown will make it stand out on the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:02 PM

Holy shit this is going to be bad ass!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:04 PM

Delete

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post

but, its too bad one of the prettiest buildings in the city will be named after one of our worst presidents.
It's not an "O" on top!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:12 PM

Pretty cool design indeed!

As a Lego fan (along with my 2 and 4 year olds), I would like to point out that there is a whole educational line that most stores do not carry. Amazon/etc. carry them and they come in plain brown boxes with bags in them for the parts but they can add a new dimension to Lego use. Bought another set for the kids last month and it lets them use sections of tubes with balls and flapped door things. Not to mention the two flag banners LOL. Not necessary for doing a building but hey... you never know. :^)

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenfest View Post
The spire to me takes away from the organic eroding rock look but in any case the height is maxed out.

We are choosing glass carefully and haven't made a final selection but it will be a lighter blue to possibly a cobalt blue and may be mirrored. We are being very careful that it will not come across as dark or gray. The clouds are a rendered reflection and are not in the glass. We are also looking into lighting options similar to Cira Center's type but it's expensive. In all likelihood there will be some sort of changeable color lighting at least in the top third.

There is a restaurant and lobby for the W at street level where the music gets turned up at night with a VIP section. On the top of the podium is another destination bar with an outdoor pool and cabanas. The pool is heated year round and will also be heated in the winter similar to a ski resorts pool.

At the top will be very nice W suites with large terraces.

I'm afraid that's all I can add for now.
That's really cool, thanks for the details. That's a pretty awesome transformation for that corner.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post

I can see it now, "The James Buchanan luxury hotel and suites."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:34 PM
Rundberg & I35

The Calvin Coolidge would be a bad ass name for a hotel.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 10:37 PM
resu deretsiger

Very much anticipating how the crown and "eroding rock" effect will look from different angles. We should be getting more buildings like this rather than the much less inspired designs. Imagine if this was 10 Rittenhouse!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 11:24 PM

Definitely set be a stick out on the skyline that's for sure!
Great job blenfest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Summer sent me the pdf so I may show all of you-- enjoy!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevator View Post
It's not an "O" on top!
don't run away from that. O is WAY worse than W.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:15 AM

Very pleased. There will be a very nice canyon effect on that block, and the W across from the Del Frisco's will be very exciting. It will engage the street marvelously, and it will feel very "New Yorky" right there.

This hotel will probably establish itself as the new king in town, only to be challenged by the new Four Seasons, although clientele will be slightly different. It also may be important for this proposal to be completed before some of the other hotel proposals in the pipeline, that way it is not competing for "buzz". Generally speaking, I feel bad for its competitors.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenfest View Post

We are choosing glass carefully and haven't made a final selection but it will be a lighter blue to possibly a cobalt blue and may be mirrored. We are being very careful that it will not come across as dark or gray. The clouds are a rendered reflection and are not in the glass. We are also looking into lighting options similar to Cira Center's type but it's expensive.
The original glass looks great but Just to be different here's an inversion with a golden hue which would give this tower a very earthy organic feel,and a touch of splash. It would also be quite the contrast to Center City's standard blue/grey look.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:24 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Not bad at all.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
don't run away from that. O is WAY worse than W.
Agreed

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 7:53 AM
Everywhere all at once

Philly is phabulous

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:28 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

Really love this new redesign, though like I said in the main thread I personally hate giant corporate logos on buildings.

Anyway, here is a quick cut and paste sketch I did of what this might look like from Dilworth Plaza. The angles on the images lined up pretty well, so the height should be close to correct.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:01 PM

Nice work. And to think that Soviet fallout bunker of a failed public space in the foreground will be gone, replaced with the new Dilworth Plaza. I can't wait.

(Also, hey, if you're jonesing for a real cheesesteak, have you been to 99 Miles to Philly on 3rd Ave between 12th & 13th in Manhattan?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive