HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 4:29 AM

How big should your CBD be?

It dawned on me that a lot of people have different ideas about the boundaries of their cbd. We’ve measured a lot of other things about cities, so please chime in.
Please also discuss how you feel your cbd matches along with the core city and metro.

I will start with New York. I’ve got the borders at 86th to the north, rivers to the east and west. Battery on the south end. This definitely encompasses the core of NYC for natives and tourists alike. The population is near 1 million making it the most populous cbd in the US.

It fits well with the city and would even fit better if Hudson county, NJ, as well as parts of Bergen and Essex where added to it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
It dawned on me that a lot of people have different ideas about the boundaries of their cbd. We’ve measured a lot of other things about cities, so please chime in.
Please also discuss how you feel your cbd matches along with the core city and metro.

I will start with New York. I’ve got the borders at 86th to the north, rivers to the east and west. Battery on the south end. This definitely encompasses the core of NYC for natives and tourists alike. The population is near 1 million making it the most populous cbd in the US.

It fits well with the city and would even fit better if Hudson county, NJ, as well as parts of Bergen and Essex where added to it.
When I think business district, I think of places that are dominated by commercial office space instead of residential. New York City's primary central business district is in Manhattan between 32nd St. to the south, 60th St. to the north, Ninth Avenue to the west* and Third Avenue to the east. NYC's second largest business district is everything in Manhattan south of Chambers St.

*Hudson Yards has extended the boundary west to the West Side Hwy between 30th St and the Lincoln Tunnel.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 8:52 PM

^^ I agree with what iheartthed said and with the stated definition.

The CBD(s) is within the larger city core

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions