HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I can't for the life of me think about why OPDC would oppose this project though - it's six townhouses intended for owner-occupants on a more-or-less vacant lot. Who exactly is threatened by this?
Who know$ why OPDC $eem$ to oppo$e nearly every project. It'$ a real head $cratcher!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
Who know$ why OPDC $eem$ to oppo$e nearly every project. It'$ a real head $cratcher!
I mean, I'm taking it for granted that OPDC is run by slumlords. But new-construction for-sale housing doesn't really affect the student rental market at all.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 5:21 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Longtime Hillman residence is gifted to Carnegie Mellon University
The property, valued at $2.3 million, will serve as presidential residence and event venue
Bill Schackner and Joyce Gannon | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
March 12, 2021
The Hillman residence (at 5120 Holyrood Rd.) will be converted to the new president's house for CMU, and the current presidential residence (5563 Northumberland St. - purchased in 1999) will be sold.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
April 8 ZBA is online. Two items of note for that week, though neither is new:

1. The proposed new residential tower for downtown at the WYCA site. One of the biggest surprises here is it appears they want to renovate the existing WYCA building and use it as a base for the tower structure. I would have thought that in order to create the foundations needed to secure a 20-story tower they'd need to clear the site. I'm also a bit surprised that they're going before the ZBA first, since it's far more common for downtown projects to first go to the Planning Commission. Regardless, we have seen a lot of this before, but I believe there are still a few new (crude) renderings.

2. Six infill townhouses in the Panther Hollow are of Oakland. This is not a new project, having previously gone before ZBA in November. It seems ZBA kicked the requested variances down the curb because the developer had not met with OPDC. They have since done so, but for financial reasons were unable to change the project in a matter which would alleviate the variances, and thus are re-submitting essentially the same project. I would presume it will be shot down again. I can't for the life of me think about why OPDC would oppose this project though - it's six townhouses intended for owner-occupants on a more-or-less vacant lot. Who exactly is threatened by this?
I thought the original mid century design included a tower. The foundations my be in place since the original development. The Brooks Brothers building on Smithfield and Sixth was designed in a similar manner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4414...i8192?hl=en-US

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Isn't OPDC the entity that got a recently proposed 13 story building on Forbes cut down to 10? I mean WTF?? If Oakland can't even handle a 13 story building, it's pretty sad.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 12:25 AM

Some new renderings of the FNB Tower and plaza in the following community presentation:

https://www.lowerhillredevelopment.c...nal_lo_res.pdf

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Some new renderings of the FNB Tower and plaza in the following community presentation:

I actually don't like how they include parcel G4 in the development and then just have it as landscaped open space.

There's already a plethora of open space in the Lower Hill masterplan. It's all very well designed but...who are they expecting to loiter in these public spaces? Even if the best case scenarios for development come true ten years from now, you're talking about an area which is relatively far away from the active core of Downtown, at decent remove from the rivers, with no access to the T.

Basically, I'm afraid that all of this is going to end up a nicer version of office-park landscaping. It will look pretty, but not really be used by much of anyone - only there to restrict lot coverage for some asinine reason.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post

This new tower will do wonders for that slab of asphalt. The base of the tower looks similar to Philadelphia's FMC Tower constructed near the 30th Street Station. I am ok with the open spaces / plaza as long as there is dense development around it. Otherwise it would feel cold like Brisilia...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:07 PM

My only thoughts are that this is the biggest space adjacent to downtown to work with, yes it should scale down and yes, I like that some visibility from the Hill is preserved... and I recognize that there's only so much demand for office space, but it's too bad that a building on the south western corner couldn't be a little taller... and at least one of the apartment buildings near Washington Plaza (it will always be Washington Plaza) couldn't match that height. I mean that building is 60 years almost. Can't there be another similar size apartment building there yet...?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:52 PM
JDescutner

There is an effort by the Pittsburgh Modern Committee of Preservation Pittsburgh to save and preserve the former Mellon Bank in East Liberty, located at 6112 Penn Ave. This building was constructed in 1969 and is very distinctly mid-century modern, complete with discrete but beautiful glazed green brick. https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-79.9234686

The owner wants to demolish it and replace it with a completely soulless Citizens Bank branch with parking facing Centre. This replacement will absolutely be a step down from what's there now. https://www.pittsburghmoderncommitte...30n5f16uh2w8zt

The modern committee has submitted a request to the Historic Review Commission to designate the building as a historic landmark in the City of Pittsburgh.

You can send an email to the HRC showing your support:
To: historicreview@pittsburghpa.gov
CC: info@pittsburghmoderncommittee.org

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Members of the Historic Review Commission,

I support the nomination of the former Mellon Bank branch in East Liberty at 6112 Penn Avenue as a City of Pittsburgh Historic Landmark. While it has a significant visual presence in East Liberty and is a unique exhibit of mid-century modern architecture, it also is a piece of Pittsburgh and East Liberty History as it is a remnant of the post-Urban Renewal era of the neighborhood.

Please consider designating this iconic building as a City of Pittsburgh Historic Landmark.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:52 PM
JDescutner

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDescutner View Post
There is an effort by the Pittsburgh Modern Committee of Preservation Pittsburgh to save and preserve the former Mellon Bank in East Liberty, located at 6112 Penn Ave. This building was constructed in 1969 and is very distinctly mid-century modern, complete with discrete but beautiful glazed green brick. https://www.google.com/maps/place/61...!4d-79.9234686

The owner wants to demolish it and replace it with a completely soulless Citizens Bank branch with parking facing Centre. This replacement will absolutely be a step down from what's there now. https://www.pittsburghmoderncommitte...30n5f16uh2w8zt

The modern committee has submitted a request to the Historic Review Commission to designate the building as a historic landmark in the City of Pittsburgh.

You can send an email to the HRC showing your support:
To: historicreview@pittsburghpa.gov
CC: info@pittsburghmoderncommittee.org

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Members of the Historic Review Commission,

I support the nomination of the former Mellon Bank branch in East Liberty at 6112 Penn Avenue as a City of Pittsburgh Historic Landmark. While it has a significant visual presence in East Liberty and is a unique exhibit of mid-century modern architecture, it also is a piece of Pittsburgh and East Liberty History as it is a remnant of the post-Urban Renewal era of the neighborhood.

Please consider designating this iconic building as a City of Pittsburgh Historic Landmark.
I honestly find the current building fairly ugly, and wouldn't cry if it were replaced. That said, no way in hell should a single-story building be allowed in "downtown" East Liberty. I'd suggest the city councilperson representing East Liberty introduce a zoning change to set a minimum building height.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I honestly find the current building fairly ugly, and wouldn't cry if it were replaced. That said, no way in hell should a single-story building be allowed in "downtown" East Liberty. I'd suggest the city councilperson representing East Liberty introduce a zoning change to set a minimum building height.
Honestly, to a certain degree this reminds me of the fight to stop the demolition of the United Methodist Church on Centre. I mean, it's a fine building, and absolutely should not have been knocked down for a drive-thru Starbucks. But now it has historical protection, and it will be vacant for who knows how long, which IMHO is a bad call because replacing it with something like midrise apartment building would have been fine.

That said, the Mellon Bank building is in fine shape - and would work just fine for retail or other uses. I do think a holding pattern for now is the best bet, but hopefully at some point ownership of the entire block will be consolidated (the CVS is sorely underbuilt for the area) and something of higher/better use will be built.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

Photos from driving around today

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

I don't know what all the stupid purple dots are all over my photos, iPhone just started doing that a few weeks ago...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDescutner View Post
Ive always hated that ugly pos building; there's been thousands of other tear downs that actually should have prompted outrage but were just torn down with nobody caring.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 11:47 AM

Some new presentations are up for the April HRC and the 4/15 ZBA hearings. A few items of interest.

1. Restoration of the New Granada Theater. You can clearly see as part of this presentation their intent to rebuild the marquee, along with replacing all of the existing windows. It will probably look sharp in finished form, though the presentation actually doesn't show an overall site plan like some of the earlier materials we have seen.

2. Three infill houses in Deutschtown. Location is here - interesting area because the rows on both sides were rehabbed/built over the last few years, meaning the blocks have been completely transformed. The design seems to be an overall decent mix of traditional and modern - but I really don't like the shallow hipped roof they are using.

3. A new two-unit in the southern portion of Squirrel Hill. I always forget two-units are allowed by right in a lot of Squirrel Hill. I'm not a big fan of the design, but from the street it will just look like a modern infill house, with the extreme depth of the structure(I presume the garage floor is common space and each unit takes up an upper floor) not really visible.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Honestly, to a certain degree this reminds me of the fight to stop the demolition of the United Methodist Church on Centre. I mean, it's a fine building, and absolutely should not have been knocked down for a drive-thru Starbucks. But now it has historical protection, and it will be vacant for who knows how long, which IMHO is a bad call because replacing it with something like midrise apartment building would have been fine.

That said, the Mellon Bank building is in fine shape - and would work just fine for retail or other uses. I do think a holding pattern for now is the best bet, but hopefully at some point ownership of the entire block will be consolidated (the CVS is sorely underbuilt for the area) and something of higher/better use will be built.
I think the big difference in the situations is that one is a long-neglected church and the other is a commercial building in excellent shape.

It is difficult and quite expensive to use a church for anything other than a church/gathering space.

I think that the Mellon bank building absolutely deserves to be preserved. It is high-quality construction and a very unique design. I think I've mentioned it before that it would be incredible for a restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think the big difference in the situations is that one is a long-neglected church and the other is a commercial building in excellent shape.

It is difficult and quite expensive to use a church for anything other than a church/gathering space.

I think that the Mellon bank building absolutely deserves to be preserved. It is high-quality construction and a very unique design. I think I've mentioned it before that it would be incredible for a restaurant.
Yeah, maybe I didn't make it clear, but I do think the bank is in fine shape and could easily be used as a commercial structure. I just don't know if I would want historical designation because it blocks any higher/better use from ever taking place on site. It's not just a Pittsburgh problem, but I wish there was more conditional ways to protect structures. Like, knocking down for a parking lot is bad, but knocking down for a 400-unit apartment building is worth it from a utilitarian standpoint.

I am guessing the real reason they want it knocked down though is the total lack of parking. It was clearly built during the pedestrian mall stage of East Liberty's development. That said, there are plenty of bank branches without any parking - including the new Dollar Bank branch right across the street.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 11:08 PM

To: Photolith

I didn't feel it necessary to copy your pictures above, but I have a question.

The first picture I cannot place where this construction is. Is it part of the new hospital near Duquesne University, looking toward the SouthSide over the river?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 12:38 AM

That bank is slick. I realize that style is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is a great example of that era and should be protected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations