HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 8:42 PM
DENNAB

Why would construction last 4 to 5 years? Nice to hear it's (probably) approved though, hope it gets built.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Why would construction last 4 to 5 years? Nice to hear it's (probably) approved though, hope it gets built.
In San Francisco, unless you want your building tilting like the Millennium Tower, piles must be poured (usually poured in place rather than driven) to bedrock (commonly 200 ft down) and a deep foundation dug. That typically can take 2 years leaving another 2-3 for actual construction.

In earthquake country, foundations are no afterthought, especially if they are on filled ground as is much of the Financial District of San Francisco.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 6:43 AM

The Business Times is reporting:

- They "have a new potential commitment that we are working on that will help make the project viable"

- They have "secured a commitment from an unidentified hotel operator that still stands". I has also been reported that they have agreed that this hotel will be unionized.

- At a Supervisors Land Use Committee hearing members "sought guarantees that the complex project would indeed break ground this year . . . ." The committee members seemed particularly concerned with this because of the associated affordable housing commitment.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:23 PM
heavy user of walkability

just a shot of the site since I was by there over the weekend

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:10 PM

^^Oh I love that bat. If they have to cover it up, they should find a way to preserve it, if only as a fine-grained photo, and put it in the SFMOMA.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Roland Li
May 24, 2021
Updated: May 24, 2021 10:31 a.m.

. . . PG&E has agreed to sell its San Francisco headquarters for $800 million, a mega-deal that shows investors remain interested in downtown properties despite the coronavirus pandemic.

Developer Hines agreed to buy office buildings including 77 Beale St. and 245 Market St., PG&E said Monday . . . .

It’s another major commitment to San Francisco for Hines, which is planning to start construction on its $1 billion Parcel F tower a few blocks away PG&E’s Beale Street building. Construction is moving forward despite Salesforce canceling its office lease in the project as the tech company embraces more remote work. Hines previously developed Salesforce Tower with Boston Properties and also managed a seismic retrofit for the PG&E buildings.

The PG&E deal comes two months after Dropbox’s headquarters sold for $1.08 billion, the second-highest price in city history for a single building. Despite Dropbox’s “remote first” policy change, the building is being subleased to biotech companies, which have continued to expand during the pandemic.

Another major deal was the Transamerica Pyramid’s sale for $650 million last year, a transaction that was delayed for months.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...n-16199033.php

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 9:12 PM

"San Francisco's next major skyscraper will break ground in 2022"

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...l-16444701.php

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 9:50 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
"San Francisco's next major skyscraper will break ground in 2022"

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...l-16444701.php
Is this 61 floors now?

Either way this should be a stone cold stunna.

Quote:
San Francisco’s next major skyscraper — a 61-story mixed-use tower planned for 550 Howard St. in the Transbay District — will break ground in the first quarter of next year and will include a deluxe 180-room Rosewood Hotel, the developer announced on Thursday.

The 800-foot tower, designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli — the same architect who designed the Transbay Transit Center and adjacent Salesforce Tower — will total 1.1-million square feet and include about 250,000 square feet of office space, 170 condos and 79,000 square feet of shared amenity space, the developer said.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 12:18 AM

Good news!! But I will keep my fingers crossed until the day of ground breaking.

The article also says this is going to be 806 feet tall

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 4:03 AM

I think the revision reduced it from 806 to 800.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The Business Times is reporting:

- They "have a new potential commitment that we are working on that will help make the project viable"

- They have "secured a commitment from an unidentified hotel operator that still stands". I has also been reported that they have agreed that this hotel will be unionized.

- At a Supervisors Land Use Committee hearing members "sought guarantees that the complex project would indeed break ground this year . . . ." The committee members seemed particularly concerned with this because of the associated affordable housing commitment.
So it seems like the secret commitment is the Rosewood Hotel chain.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:04 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Good news!! But I will keep my fingers crossed until the day of ground breaking.

The article also says this is going to be 806 feet tall
I think you should keep them crossed for a lot longer than that. Remember, Oceanwide Center did much more than break ground.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:08 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I think you should keep them crossed for a lot longer than that. Remember, Oceanwide Center did much more than break ground.
I think the reasons for Oceanwide are unique in this case though and not generalizable to other construction projects in SF.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think the reasons for Oceanwide are unique in this case though and not generalizable to other construction projects in SF.
That's what I would assume too, this isn't Chinese money.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:09 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
True, though a number of us remember when the same thing happened to 535 Mission. The foundation was buried for a temporary parking lot until demand for office space increased later.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Oceanwide is Chinese financed and that is its essential problem. Chinese overseas investment is subject to both the shakiness of the finances of the particular company, and a lot of them are very shaky (Google the troubles of China Evergrande and now Soho), but also governmental restrictions on capital exports that have only gotten worse since Oceanwide stopped active construction.

Parcel F is a project of US companies Hines, Urban Pacific and Goldman Sachs. It would be hard to find a bluer blue chip list of project sponsors. There can be no question they've got the cash and credit to proceed if they have the will and the Rosewood Hotels deal apparently was the critical factor in giving them the will. With only about ⅓ of the building being office (375,000 sq ft out of 957,000 sq ft), and with the hotel portion signed for, evidently the sponsors are comfortable.

Incidentally, these renderings are the first I've seen of the city skyline with BOTH Parcel F and Oceanwide in place:

https://sfyimby.com/2021/09/rosewood...francisco.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 11:36 PM
DENNAB

My gosh I hope someone builds the Oceanwide Tower someday, Parcel F is looking great too though.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 8:19 AM

Ditto

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
My gosh I hope someone builds the Oceanwide Tower someday, Parcel F is looking great too though.
See the Oceanwide thread--I added a lengthy discussion about the troubles of Ocenwide Holdings, the company. I'm sure they are desperate to sell all their US properties. Like many Chinese property developers right now, they need the money.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 7:18 PM

No news but I hadn't seen this schematic before

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals