HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 5:24 PM
New Yorker for life

The rendering on the right is another alternative proposal for 15 Penn.

http://www.whsad.org/whats-happening...o-realty-trust

NYC Department of Education’s Career Discovery Week Sends WHSAD to Vornado Realty Trust

FEBRUARY 13, 2020
BY DESELLE THOMPSON

Compared with the last version floating around...same base, but reworked tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 3, 2020 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 5:52 PM
DENNAB

Can't decide which is more atrocious looking, this or Tower fifth.

Good to know they'll both be nearly half a kilometer tall

(If built that is)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:10 PM

I like the alternative. It's unexpected and unique, but, not tacky.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I like the alternative. It's unexpected and unique, but, not tacky.
I like it better, but I don't think it's a real proposal unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 12:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I like it better, but I don't think it's a real proposal unfortunately.
I don’t think it would be posted up at their offices if it weren’t real. It’s basically a refined version of the tower in the last set of renderings we saw. Whether or not it gets built is another matter. Vornado has a few years to finish up 1 and 2 Penn Plaza before attention turns here. A lot could change before then.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:10 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don’t think it would be posted up at their offices if it weren’t real. It’s basically a refined version of the tower in the last set of renderings we saw. Whether or not it gets built is another matter. Vornado has a few years to finish up 1 and 2 Penn Plaza before attention turns here. A lot could change before then.
Well in that case I hope they come to their senses.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 11:01 AM

Total garbage. Yet again.

Preserve the Hotel Penn and clean it up. Beautiful, historic building.

Tear down all the 1960s crap (including MSG). THAT is the building opportunity for anyone who gives a rat's a$$ about the city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer34 View Post

Tear down all the 1960s crap (including MSG). THAT is the building opportunity for anyone who gives a rat's a$$ about the city.
People own those buildings that you want torn down. That's not how things work. A developer can only decide what to build on the land they own.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:03 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
People own those buildings that you want torn down. That's not how things work. A developer can only decide what to build on the land they own.
You don't think he understood that already?

I agree with him, I'd rather see all the 60s and 70s boxes being replaced. Clearly I understand that it's nigh impossible without the consent of the owners... I clarified it before you jumped in with your incredible knowledge

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

actually the hotel has long been kind of crap too.

maybe the room redevelopment can help it out for now.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 2:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Preserve, preserve, preserve. What are we preserving it for? All of the money going into a new and expanded Penn Station, the busiest transportation center in the region, should ensure that the district is one of the top locations in the city for maximum office tower development. Sure, 2 Penn Plaza and of course MSG needs to go as well, but where are you gonna put it?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9hr5h4HPUU/

Quote:
Looks like the 1,704-room Hotel Pennsylvania’s days are numbered and not to the Glen Miller tune using the hotel’s phone number (the longest phone number in continuous use in NYC). To the right is a peek at a refined design for the 1,400-foot-tall skyscraper to replace the grand dame-turned-2 star hotel. Slide for a prior iteration. Rafael Vinoly is the architect.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 3:03 PM
Ω

Much better but still not a great design, imo.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:03 PM
New Yorker for life

I wish we had better looks at it. It's still just as bulky as ever.

Here's a throwback that looks and feels almost innocent...we had no idea just how much the skyline would change.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8tWjxYnW2C/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 9:22 AM
Back from the dead

Well,...better than the abortion they threw at us before. Still an afterbirth but better.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:48 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well,...better than the abortion they threw at us before. Still an afterbirth but better.
Couldn't word it any better

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Vornado might never reopen century-old Hotel Pennsylvania, CEO says
Pandemic seen as chance to pursue long-sought development

ERIK ENGQUIST
MAY 6, 2020

Quote:
For more than 20 years Steven Roth has wanted to close the Hotel Pennsylvania, demolish it, and build a tower in its place.

Now that the coronavirus pandemic has forced the Vornado Realty Trust CEO to take that first step, he is thinking anew about the other two.

As tourism dried up, Vornado closed the not-quite-prestigious hotel at 401 Seventh Avenue on April 1 and furloughed 414 of its employees. Then, on an earnings call Tuesday, Roth called the hotel “a parking lot for a development site” and revealed, “We have thought internally about using this and just never reopening it.”

By “this,” Roth apparently meant the opportunity of the closure to get started again on a project Vornado has wanted to do for a long time.

Roth quickly said it is likely that the hotel will reopen. It’s worth noting that the 414 employees were furloughed, not laid off, meaning they are still likely receiving benefits and are expected to be brought back.
Quote:
But since Vornado bought what was once the world’s largest hotel in 1997, it has repeatedly tried to replace it, only to see plans fall through for one reason or another. It originally intended to rebrand the hotel along with acquisition partner Ong Beng Seng, a Singapore-based hotel developer, but that effort ended within two years. A 2007 plan to erect a 68-story tower anchored by Merrill Lynch died when the financial crisis hit a year later.
Quote:
... Its general manager told hotelbusiness.com in June that “more people have stayed here than any other hotel in the world.” But its Twitter account has been silent since October, and now Vornado is thinking again about making the historic hotel, well, history.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 9:00 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don’t think it would be posted up at their offices if it weren’t real. It’s basically a refined version of the tower in the last set of renderings we saw.
I have no idea one way or another about this tower, but developers and architects have plenty of renderings on their office walls that may be long dead or represent design options. This could certainly be one of them.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 10:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I have no idea one way or another about this tower, but developers and architects have plenty of renderings on their office walls that may be long dead or represent design options. This could certainly be one of them.
That may be true, but given the fact that it's a refined version of what was being marketed just last year to Facebook, plastered along with the current plans for 2 Penn, I would say it's obvious that's not the case.

That being said, it doesn't mean it's the design they will move forward with in the future - depending on when things actually get moving.

Vornado has long said the Hotel was a placeholder, and was content with that as long as the hotel was doing good business. Now, with tourism at a standstill, and no idea how long before things pick up enough to justify reopening that large hotel, it makes sense to consider options now. Still, I'd say its 50/50 on ee-opening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals