HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:52 PM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I worked from home for a British consulting firm for ten years, it was amazing how easily distracted I could get plus, there was no synergy or cohesion among the team since everyone was virtual. Don't know if I could do again on a permanent basis even if it meant a shitty commute.
I totally get that. I've worked from home since 2011 and would never take a job where being in an office was a requirement. Different strokes...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:57 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,800
^ The other problem is, people working from home are largely an existing workforce of people who have developed relations with eachother pre-Covid.

I do think that future new hires will not have the advantage of having had that "intimate" connection with their bosses and coworkers unless they see eachother in person at least some of the time.

Isn't that what corporate "team-building" is all about?

I for one don't like this "work from home" trend and hope that it doesn't become entirely permanent. I miss our cities being vibrant, coffee shops and bars/restaurants being full of life, and trains and buses being crowded.

That is literally why I began liking cities. If we don't have that any more, I really see no reason to even take interest in cities (and this forum) any more. Just watching a bunch of skycrapers get built alone doesn't do it for me, and I'm sure there are many here who feel the same way.

I hope that at some point a new generation of political leaders pushes to bring vibrancy to our cities once again. Because many of the current leaders just don't have it in them--they were elected at a time when the economy was great and that they could focus exclusively on 'social justice' type of matters. But right now, our major cities need a big time post-COVID reboot.
__________________
Loving the sound of turbos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:00 PM
jmecklenborg jmecklenborg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
ok?
The time spent commuting to a job is "wasted" but not the time spent driving to or from non-work stuff that you had to or wanted to do anyway, especially those things that could be combined into a commute?

The work-from-home zealots all seem like they're afraid of people because they didn't play outside when they were kids. In fact, I made this exact remark elsewhere, and some woman responded that she was afraid of the bullies in her neighborhood when she was a girl, so she confirmed my point.

It's only Tuesday morning and I've already had a half dozen great conversations this week with people here in the office. Concrete DIY repair, bicycling, chiropractor recommendations, the health of a guy who went to the hospital last week, the disappearance of ho-ho's from the vending machine, etc.

Quit being afraid of the world, people!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:35 PM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The time spent commuting to a job is "wasted" but not the time spent driving to or from non-work stuff that you had to or wanted to do anyway, especially those things that could be combined into a commute?
I suppose you could make an argument that every moment in a car or commuting to any activity (picking up kids, groceries, etc) is wasted time, but that wasn't my point. Sure there is some sense of 2 birds 1 stone when you have to commute to an office then knock out an errand. I don't disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The work-from-home zealots all seem like they're afraid of people because they didn't play outside when they were kids. In fact, I made this exact remark elsewhere, and some woman responded that she was afraid of the bullies in her neighborhood when she was a girl, so she confirmed my point.

It's only Tuesday morning and I've already had a half dozen great conversations this week with people here in the office. Concrete DIY repair, bicycling, chiropractor recommendations, the health of a guy who went to the hospital last week, the disappearance of ho-ho's from the vending machine, etc.

Quit being afraid of the world, people!
What a very strange big leap in logic - certainly hasn't been my experience in working from home over the past 10 years. I literally have no reason to go into an office, my team is spread out over the entire Country (+Canada!). I would be much less productive all around if I had to go in an office everyday/multiple days a week.

Certainly I have enough common sense to not broadly generalize everyone, and understand your mileage may very.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:05 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,800
Pretty soon there will be no need for an office

Pretty soon there will be no need for a home or an apartment.

Or a body.

We can simply upload ourselves onto a cloud and be electronic beings

Why have real estate at all? Why have cities? Why have anything?
__________________
Loving the sound of turbos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:27 PM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Pretty soon there will be no need for an office

Pretty soon there will be no need for a home or an apartment.

Or a body.

We can simply upload ourselves onto a cloud and be electronic beings

Why have real estate at all? Why have cities? Why have anything?
Maybe you should review the quote in your signature
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.