HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 2:41 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I've often thought it would have been cool if the U of M was in a riverbend closer to downtown, but not downtown itself. Similar to U of A in Edmonton.

Imagine having the U of M in Riverview, or Norwood Flats...
Before the First World War, the plan was to relocate the University of Manitoba to the property that eventually became the Tuxedo Golf Course but those grand plans never materialized.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The law of unintended consequences is the most reliable law there is.
I used to be more indifferent to legalizing weed... well, I didn't want it legalized because I hate weed, but that's it... little moral argument from me.

I spoke with two psychologists and both were terrified of exactly that effect... hell I think I mentioned it here too and was dismissed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Just wanna point out that you may have a lurking variable here like oh say... alcohol is legal and meth is not. I'm certain that if meth were used to the same extent as alcohol that those numbers would look somewhat different.
I absolutely laugh when people use alcohol as a place holder for these debates.

Alcohol is nearly a destroyer of worlds, and comparing substances to alcohol makes them ok for legal use? Keep in mind we're ADDING to the drug market, not replacing. Since we know how bad alcohol is, we want to add similarly destructive substances to our daily life?

Man, two wrongs don't make a right... what happened to that diddy?

That said I love booze, lol. I love it carefully.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 11:05 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I used to be more indifferent to legalizing weed... well, I didn't want it legalized because I hate weed, but that's it... little moral argument from me.

I spoke with two psychologists and both were terrified of exactly that effect... hell I think I mentioned it here too and was dismissed...

Alcohol is nearly a destroyer of worlds, and comparing substances to alcohol makes them ok for legal use? Keep in mind we're ADDING to the drug market, not replacing. Since we know how bad alcohol is, we want to add similarly destructive substances to our daily life?

Do you love it responsibly like all the booze makers so dutifully remind us after every commercial?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:41 AM
BANNED

I'm a lush, and proud of it.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Before the First World War, the plan was to relocate the University of Manitoba to the property that eventually became the Tuxedo Golf Course but those grand plans never materialized.
Very interesting, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Meth has been growing for years now. I was starting to hear a lot about it about 5 years ago, and around then I even had some random guy on a bus ask me if I knew where to get some. I don't think it's ramping up because of weed legalization. We're talking 2 pretty different categories of drug with different customer bases and often different vendors. Meth is a hard drug, I'm pretty sure the people using it now were using stuff like inhalants and oxycontin before. I don't really see somebody who likes to smoke a casual joint now and then suddenly switching to freakin meth because legal weed is gonna cost a little more.

As far as the alcohol stuff, well we're not really ADDING anything considering people who want to smoke pot were doing it anyway. You can grow it anywhere, it's going to exist one way or another so it's just a question of who we want selling it - drug dealers or legal, taxable, regulated businesses.

And alcohol IS definitively worse. Almost 50% of all violent crime involves alcohol, possibly higher in Winnipeg where cheap booze has long been a drug of choice for our street population. I've also never seen somebody start a fight, smash a window or puke all over the sidewalk because they smoked a joint. I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that cannabis is "similarly destructive".

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:16 PM

Weed doesn't compare to anything else. You don't smoke a joint, see all sorts of colours and start acting crazy like in TV shows. That's not what it is.. You don't smoke a bunch of weed and go crazy like a drunk person for many hours. You smoke some weed and go on with normal life..

Psychologists and all that aren't wrong, but they're also not right. Sure it affects your brain, etc. I don't know anybody who has ruined there life over weed. Most people I know smoke it and get along just fine. Kids, work, whatever. Normal life.

Anyways, off topic again.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Do you love it responsibly like all the booze makers so dutifully remind us after every commercial?
Pretty much, though there's flexibility in the term haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Meth has been growing for years now. I was starting to hear a lot about it about 5 years ago, and around then I even had some random guy on a bus ask me if I knew where to get some. I don't think it's ramping up because of weed legalization. We're talking 2 pretty different categories of drug with different customer bases and often different vendors. Meth is a hard drug, I'm pretty sure the people using it now were using stuff like inhalants and oxycontin before. I don't really see somebody who likes to smoke a casual joint now and then suddenly switching to freakin meth because legal weed is gonna cost a little more.

As far as the alcohol stuff, well we're not really ADDING anything considering people who want to smoke pot were doing it anyway. You can grow it anywhere, it's going to exist one way or another so it's just a question of who we want selling it - drug dealers or legal, taxable, regulated businesses.

And alcohol IS definitively worse. Almost 50% of all violent crime involves alcohol, possibly higher in Winnipeg where cheap booze has long been a drug of choice for our street population. I've also never seen somebody start a fight, smash a window or puke all over the sidewalk because they smoked a joint. I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that cannabis is "similarly destructive".

You don't "see" it? It's not just the user, it's the pusher. It's also not the cost. People chase a buzz, a high, a thrill, and a natural component of that is "what's next"?

I went from beer, to whisky, now to craft cocktails. Normal progression. Bigger leap between weed and meth but it would be blind to think people don't ever chase a new, or different high. Especially when pushed by dealers. There's nothing to not see... if the government is putting dealers out of the weed business, they'll "reinvest" their efforts into other branches of their business model. Interest in meth has always been there, now they will try to make it their cash cow.

And we've known legalized weed is on the horizon for years. It's simply good preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Weed doesn't compare to anything else. You don't smoke a joint, see all sorts of colours and start acting crazy like in TV shows. That's not what it is.. You don't smoke a bunch of weed and go crazy like a drunk person for many hours. You smoke some weed and go on with normal life..

Psychologists and all that aren't wrong, but they're also not right. Sure it affects your brain, etc. I don't know anybody who has ruined there life over weed. Most people I know smoke it and get along just fine. Kids, work, whatever. Normal life.

Anyways, off topic again.
Weed isn't the rage fuel that alcohol is, but it does more than simply let you carry on with "normal life".

I know fully functioning people who smoke occasionally, but I also know people whose lives have been negatively defined by weed. Not meth level ruination, but suggesting it's harmless is incorrect.

Original point was "congrats! We all know how harmful alcohol is, and it's not going anywhere. But that has zero impact on the merit of making weed legal."

Either way, I don't really have a horse in this race. I just hate the stuff, but I'm not in a panic about a meth crisis either. If I were, I'd have to consider how the market is changing in big ways. That's logical.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 2:56 PM

That's a fair comment. I know a lot of people who smoke. A LOT. And everyone has normal jobs, family, life, whatever. To each their own.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:29 PM

Yeah – people can get addicted to video games, gum, carrots, shopping, couponing – you name it. Any one of those things can affect your life as much or more than weed.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:01 PM

What do drugs have to do with the new Innovation Centre?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:33 PM

Everything Wpg_Guy. RRC is offering a cannabis course now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 6:49 PM
Uzer Error

Just setup a new construction camera system on the NW corner of the Adelaide building to monitor construction progress over the next 3 years! It's a solar powered and weatherproof Canon DSLR system that requires me to manually retrieve the photos every couple weeks. Here is a shot from above, piles currently going in.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:30 PM

Do you work for Multivista? This would be a great franchise to bring to MB/SK!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:47 AM
Uzer Error

I actually work for the college and doing this as a side project to document the progress of the construction. It takes photos every 15 minutes between the hours of 8:00 - 4:00pm M-F, so if you're in the area don't forget to wave to the cam!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:44 AM

Now I would love to see some student residences in the Centennial neighbourhood. It's actually quite an interesting, diverse area - it would be a great place for students to live.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboi View Post
Now I would love to see some student residences in the Centennial neighbourhood. It's actually quite an interesting, diverse area - it would be a great place for students to live.
There already is student residences in the Paterson building (Union Bank Tower) and I know lots of students and SkipTheDishes staff have moved into the new Boyce apartments pictured above.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 5:45 PM
Uzer Error

Smile

Piles are in (as of Oct 26th) and the last pic before the snow covered the site

Nov 6th, 2018

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 PM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:33 PM

What a space that will be! Love the old brick and light inside!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan