HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:19 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
You can engineer software remotely but I question whether you can plan and design it remotely to the extent that is a creative and collaborative process which a lot of it is.

I am trying to visualize plotting a new game or business app via Zoom. I wonder if that can really work.

It's like trying to write a collaborative novel or play via Zoom. Seems cumbersome to say the least.
It's done all the time (see e.g. the Linux kernel, or most open source projects). I spend ~2/3 of my time writing software, and most often the people I work on software with are at other universities. Doing stuff in lab / mentoring grad students / colloquia etc. are things that don't work remotely nearly as well.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
if they still work "in" NYC, even remotely, won't they still pay NYC tax?
No, the city income tax is based on residency. Only people who live in NYC pay it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No, the city income tax is based on residency. Only people who live in NYC pay it.
hmm interesting! my only cross-jurisdiction income tax situation was when I moved to Chicago before I finished grad school and I had to file both IL taxes and non-resident MA taxes, which was confusing to say the least. But apparently there was a big court case in 2015 that may have changed things? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptr...yland_v._Wynne

Although I seem to remember that I essentially could have chosen to pay either Illinois or Massachusetts income tax and get a credit in the other state. Maybe cities don't have the same ability to extract non-resident taxes for some reason?

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Apr 14, 2021 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
hmm interesting! my only cross-jurisdiction income tax situation was when I moved to Chicago before I finished grad school and I had to file both IL taxes and non-resident MA taxes, which was confusing to say the least. But apparently there was a big court case in 2015 that may have changed things? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptr...yland_v._Wynne

Although I seem to remember that I essentially could have chosen to pay either Illinois or Massachusetts income tax and get a credit in the other state. Maybe cities don't have the same ability to extract non-resident taxes for some reason?
People who have earned income or income sourced in New York City (or state) but don't live there DO have to pay New York State income tax on the income earned there but not New York City income tax unless, as was said, they are residents of the city as spelled out here: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f..._1_fill_in.pdf

I have, from time to time, owned units in limited partnerships located in New York City and had to pay New York State income tax on the earnings of those partnerships but not New York City income tax.

In any case, most (all???) states give you a tax credit on their resident income tax for non-resident state income taxes paid to other states (and cities). By the way, in the era of Turbotax, it's really not all that complicated.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
It's done all the time (see e.g. the Linux kernel, or most open source projects). I spend ~2/3 of my time writing software, and most often the people I work on software with are at other universities. Doing stuff in lab / mentoring grad students / colloquia etc. are things that don't work remotely nearly as well.
As I said, what I called the engineering of it--writing software as you seem to be describing it--seems doable to me remotely, but how about the decision making as to what features need to be in the programs and so on? I'm really thinking especially of things like games where creativity is key and group brainstorming seems like it would be really important. I guess I'm not saying these things can't be done remotely but I am thinking they could be done better with the group of people together in one space and team leaders are going to come to prefer that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
People who have earned income or income sourced in New York City (or state) but don't live there DO have to pay New York State income tax on the income earned there but not New York City income tax unless, as was said, they are residents of the city as spelled out here: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f..._1_fill_in.pdf

I have, from time to time, owned units in limited partnerships located in New York City and had to pay New York State income tax on the earnings of those partnerships but not New York City income tax.

In any case, most (all???) states give you a tax credit on their resident income tax for non-resident state income taxes paid to other states (and cities). By the way, in the era of Turbotax, it's really not all that complicated.
I think since the 2015 court ruling all states must give a tax credit, if I'm reading it correctly. It seems like maybe Maryland didn't at the time?

And Turbotax makes you pay to file such taxes, the principle of which makes me so annoyed that I do my taxes by hand out of protest.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:03 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
As I said, what I called the engineering of it--writing software as you seem to be describing it--seems doable to me remotely, but how about the decision making as to what features need to be in the programs and so on? I'm really thinking especially of things like games where creativity is key and group brainstorming seems like it would be really important. I guess I'm not saying these things can't be done remotely but I am thinking they could be done better with the group of people together in one space and team leaders are going to come to prefer that.
Yeah, writing a game is probably different than most things, more akin to writing a TV show I would think. The code I write is simulation / analysis / operations for physics experiments, and has never not been "remote" in the sense that all the experiments I work on consist of people from multiple universities all over the world. The main difference in that sense is everyone is calling into meetings individually instead of multiple bunches of people in conference rooms.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions