HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz View Post
Quote:
"The Washington state government is also in the process of identifying a location for a second major international airport in the Seattle region, as SEA is expected to reach capacity by the early 2030s — even with its recently built and planned expansions. Any further potential growth is highly limited due to SEA’s constrained land area."
If the Port of Portland doesn't jump at the opportunity to "help" alleviate some of the congestion that is causing Washington State to plan for another major international airport in the Seattle area, it's a major missed opportunity IMO.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:48 PM

I have a very hard time believing that the second Seattle area is going to happen.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I have a very hard time believing that the second Seattle area is going to happen.
Especially considering they are in lawsuits concerning the screwup with the new international terminal and suits involving pollution from neighboring communities.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
If the Port of Portland doesn't jump at the opportunity to "help" alleviate some of the congestion that is causing Washington State to plan for another major international airport in the Seattle area, it's a major missed opportunity IMO.
Would be more viable if we had better regional rail (not even high speed) connecting the two cities.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 10:34 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Would be more viable if we had better regional rail (not even high speed) connecting the two cities.
I hope I get to see this in my lifetime but given what's happened elsewhere I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 11:55 PM

Quote:
They already have two as it stands but not much capacity for any growth. They have been talking about by 2030, there being an absolute need for a 3rd airport, of which they state should be similar in size to Seatac. I don't see how Portland can't become a major hub to relieve some of that.

A few sources:
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...a-new-airport/

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-it-near-them/

https://www.flyingmag.com/opposition...iever-airport/

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sta...ESC4UFFQ5JFGE/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I hope I get to see this in my lifetime but given what's happened elsewhere I won't hold my breath.
It blows my mind how under-utilized rail is in the Americas. High Speed rail would be just an absolute game changer.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 1:55 PM

Surely some is on PDX to market itself, but I can't imagine airlines don't already know this as an option. So it does make me wonder why economic forces alone don't have more airlines looking to utilize PDX? Is it too expensive relative to its utilization?

Most people could care less about where they connect, aside from being a convenient/cheap/reliable experience for their flight, otherwise they book entirely based on cost/time. So I'm a little surprised that say, Alaska/American/Oneworld haven't teamed up to move some international connections to PDX instead of too-crowded (likely much more expensive?) Sea-tac.

I do understand that Alaska needs to defend its home turf in Seattle with Delta making a huge push to compete there over the last decade. So I'm not sure how much that plays into it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 3:04 AM

So true about people not caring about where they connect. As long as it's convenient and stress free, which fits the bill at pdx. They should make the next project a major remodel/ expansion of concourse D. I know that's not alone enough to attract more international flights but it's officially the oldest section of the airport now, from 1987. They should align it with the style of the new main terminal.

Looks like Delta is just letting go of its shot at an Asian nonstop, so hopefully One World partners Japan Airlines or American Airlines move in and take advantage of the Alaska hub at pdx. Hard to believe pdx can support healthy passenger loads on 4 European nonstops, during one of the biggest downturns in air traffic, without one Asian flight. We've had nonstop Tokyo since the 80s, and a full on Delta Asian hub in the 90s, back when Portland was much smaller. The Port should definitely be positioning itself to take advantage of future congestion issues at SeaTac - there is no place in that region that wants another major airport.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 5:27 PM

Exactly how I look at it. PDX could be a big player as a connection hub for several airlines due to it's location, food options, size, on-time stats, and ease to get around the airport. If people are connecting, they rarely care which airport it is, unless it's a known dump (like San Jose IMO). PDX is highly regarded though and you would think Airlines would be chomping-at-the-bit to apease their passengers on connection with a nice airport experience.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 6:32 PM
Registered Ugly

I for one have considered flying out of SeaTac for the sole reason they have more direct flights. It is absolutely bonkers to me that PDX only has two direct flights to Michigan and just one to Detroit (Delta). Alaska routes through Seattle and last time took I that, it was so delayed it would’ve made sense to just drive there for a greatly discounted price.

On a side note, the last time I flew my family of 4 to Detroit from PDX this year it cost $2700, and that was with a lap baby and free checked bags. I’m seeing flights to Rome right now for $600. Flights out of PDX to the east coast are extortion.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Exactly how I look at it. PDX could be a big player as a connection hub for several airlines due to it's location, food options, size, on-time stats, and ease to get around the airport. If people are connecting, they rarely care which airport it is, unless it's a known dump (like San Jose IMO). PDX is highly regarded though and you would think Airlines would be chomping-at-the-bit to apease their passengers on connection with a nice airport experience.
It will probably happen within time as Seattle becomes more of a mess. PDX needs to redo the international 'terminal'. The bus is ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
It will probably happen within time as Seattle becomes more of a mess. PDX needs to redo the international 'terminal'. The bus is ridiculous.
Connected in Seattle in June (1st time in maybe 10+years). Had to take a tram between terminals. Never seen a train in an airport so busy. My wife and I had to channel our inner Philly/NYC subway mentality and bull rush out the door, kids in tow, to ensure we actually got off. Crazy, especially since it was 11:30pm.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:10 PM

Yeah SeaTac has the smallest footprint of any major airport in the country, or close to it. That, coupled with massive Amazon growth over the last decade, and Delta and Alaska competing for hub status, created a seriously busy airport. I actually love boarding on the ramp at the Alaska gates, there is so much activity on the airfield to take in. All 3 runways are on one side of the airport so the activity is condensed into a tight space. They are adding 3 or 4 levels to the C concourse soon, because there's nowhere to go but up for passenger space.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 9:16 PM

It's official: Delta is canceling its Portland to Tokyo route.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
At least it opens that route back up for another Carrier to hopefully snatch it up.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 10:20 PM

From what I understand carriers will be able to submit applications to the DOT to fly to Haneda from the US, with no guarantee it will be from Portland.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Related to the discussion last week regarding PDX being prime for a connecting alt to SEA, I wonder what percentage of a international flight for an airline is expected to be O&D instead of mostly filled with connections. Surely NYC/LA can fill these flights with O&D, but what about all of the big airports in small cities (even ATL, DAL, etc). Is there an expectation a flight should have X% of seats originating at that airport to even consider? Is there no rule of thumb?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Delta abandons nonstop Portland-Tokyo route amid travel slowdown, delays Seoul flights

Delta Air Lines has abandoned its plan for daily nonstop flights between Portland and Tokyo’s Haneda airport, a route announced before the COVID-19 pandemic but never launched.

Officials with the Port of Portland, which operates Portland International Airport, say they’re focused on securing the launch of a previously announced Delta flight to Incheon, South Korea, serving the capital city Seoul. That service was announced in 2021 and originally scheduled to begin later that year. Now it’s delayed indefinitely, Delta said.

That leaves Portland with no direct flights to and from Asia, though the Tokyo route is up for grabs if another airline wants to make a run at it.

“We are committed to the Portland market and continue to offer service from Asia to Portland via Delta’s hub” at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Delta said in a statement.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 10:05 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure