HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Amazing that the Ti Cats can get NBA stars to attend their game yet MLSE owning the Raptors and Argos cannot. I remember in the early 2000s the Argos were getting Vince Carter attending games.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/13/c...aaron-wiggins/.
Nick Nurse (head coach of the Raptors) and his son were at the Argos-Ticats game at BMO Field last Saturday night.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Nick Nurse (head coach of the Raptors) and his son were at the Argos-Ticats game at BMO Field last Saturday night.
Was it publicized?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:22 PM

Elks got jobbed by the refs on a bogus pyramiding call last night, following on the heels of a couple other bogus pyramiding calls lately.

I'd bet the farm that if I could get my hands on the agenda for the last CFL refs conference call, pyramiding would be on it. I guess all the refs were reminded that it's a thing and they're all now eager to call it regardless of whether it actually happened or not, ha. I've been watching the CFL for decades and I don't remember ever seeing pyramiding called, let alone multiple times in the same week.

I wonder what other obscure rule the refs will suddenly start enforcing next? Maybe they'll start calling leg whip penalties (it's a thing) every game.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:27 PM

It has been a good week for the CFL. Some very competitive games.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 10:13 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Seriously though, it’s tough to be too upset after a 41-40 game. Just always frustrating when your team never trails in the game until the clock reads 00:00.
Go Stamps !

P.S. Love Rourke

Edit: The Stamps actually did trail 3-0.

Last edited by craner; Aug 14, 2022 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post

Seriously though, it’s tough to be too upset after a 41-40 game. Just always frustrating when your team never trails in the game until the clock reads 00:00.
Go Stamps !

P.S. Love Rourke

Edit: The Stamps actually did trail 3-0.
Those two passes to Burnam and Whitehead were darts! Fantastic kid. Wish there were 10 more of his talent.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Bc lions beat Calgary 41 40 in a shoot out. Rourke almost 500 yards passing he is on pace to break Doug Flutie's single season touchdown record of 48 tds and could possibly still break Flutie's single season passing yards record of 6600 plus yards. Very likely now Rourke gets a shot in the NFL next year unless Doman can maybe sign him to 750k a year i am not sure.
I wouldn't blame him for going to the NFL, but I would love to see him spend at least a few more years here if the Lions can manage it. He's added a spark of excitement to the League. It'd be great to see him back next year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I wouldn't blame him for going to the NFL, but I would love to see him spend at least a few more years here if the Lions can manage it. He's added a spark of excitement to the League. It'd be great to see him back next year.
It would be nice but I can't blame him for trying for a nfl payday as he is only 24 and he might try the Strevler route of spending 3 seasons there so he can get that golden NFL pension which is very valuable

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:46 AM

Quote:
he might try the Strevler route of spending 3 seasons there so he can get that golden NFL pension which is very valuable
That's a good point, you used to see a lot of NFL guys released after two years to the benefit of the CFL. I don't know if that still happens to the extent it used to.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 3:39 AM

Is Rourke only under contract for this season?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Was it publicized?
During the TSN broadcast, the cameras zoomed in on Nick Nurse and his son for about 30 seconds (as is often done with celebrities at sports events). The TSN commentators then talked a bit about him -- he looked to be enjoying the game very much.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:52 PM
arf

2-2 for 28-11.

Edmonton @ Ottawa: ugh. Home team. Pick the home team.
BC @ Saskatchewan: this might not even be within 20.
Hamilton @ Montreal: pick the home team, athough I wouldn't be overly surprised with Hamilton winning. Montreal looked good with a game plan last week.
Calgary @ Toronto: Calgary needs to win this or they don't have any chance of hosting a playoff game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 2:00 PM

I wonder if the stars are aligning for a Tre Ford return in Edmonton. I expected some guy would Wally Pipp him out of his opportunity but it hasn't happened so far, but he's got to get back. He's on the six game disabled list so he will be gone for a long time, Edmonton can't stay in the tank that long without looking for a decent QB.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:08 AM

Thought this was interesting. I remember the theme from 1972 (2:25) but not the very distinctive video for that time. Most of the video pieces are forgettable to me. The 2003 TSN theme (11:35) is my favourite as the cheerleader in the rain and Pigskin Pete are memorable.

Video Link

Strange that they left out the most popular theme (from many people I've seen commenting elsewhere and myself) CFL on CBC 1987-1992

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:50 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for posting those themes over the years - very nostalgic.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Thanks for posting those themes over the years - very nostalgic.
Nostalgia is not popular amongst kids today, it's a thing of the past

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is Rourke only under contract for this season?
He signed a standard rookie deal that the last CBA agreed to which I believe is 3 years now...but he could easily be released by the Lions to pursue an NFL shot.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
He signed a standard rookie deal that the last CBA agreed to which I believe is 3 years now...but he could easily be released by the Lions to pursue an NFL shot.
It just seems wrong that basically a franchise player should get released for nothing. A guy like Rourke is worth a fair bit to the Lions... quite often the players who move from CFL to NFL are lower profile players, it's often a top quality DB or lineman who is important to the team but doesn't necessarily sell tickets on his own. Rourke is the opposite, he's the face of the team and increasingly, the league itself. It's hard to believe the Lions would ever let him just walk away.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:34 PM

There is an argument to be made to bring back the marquee player rule from the 90s to have a star player for each team exempt from the salary cap. I know that's how Flutie was making $ 1 million per season in the 90s when he was playing for the Stampeders and Argos.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
There is an argument to be made to bring back the marquee player rule from the 90s to have a star player for each team exempt from the salary cap. I know that's how Flutie was making $ 1 million per season in the 90s when he was playing for the Stampeders and Argos.
They kind of went crazy with it in the 90s with guys like Mike Kerrigan getting big bucks to ride the pine. So if the rule came back, the league would have to be very careful to prevent teams from using it irresponsibly. But if a kid like Rourke can drive enough ticket sales and viewership to justify the cost, then what's the harm in paying him seven figures?

I'm really not sure who else would qualify for marquee player money. I'm sure Collaros would make an argument for it although I doubt he would really excite too many fans outside of Winnipeg. Prime Andrew Harris might have justified it, but not anymore. Same with Bo Levi. It could literally just be a Rourke thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada