HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:47 PM

To be fair when I talk with my American friends they always heap praise on the CFL and quality of play it is always Canadians i encounter who poop on the league.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
To be fair when I talk with my American friends they always heap praise on the CFL and quality of play it is always Canadians i encounter who poop on the league.
Couldn't have said it better. Although, I remember watching a US show that Cris Carter was on talking about his son in the CFL. The other panel guys were figuring that a college team could beat a CFL team and he told them they were full of poop and they couldn't believe it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:16 PM

I've been beating this drum for years. Canadians as a rule will not consider a Canadian worth their attention unless they have made it in the United States (except for hockey players). Be it in sports, entertainment, business, or politics. They will always think that these folks are second class until the US accepts them as a star of their particular field.

Quebec will put a lie to this statement, due to their distinct culture they are more inclined to be supportive of their own. But ROC? We suck at supporting our domestics.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Although, I remember watching a US show that Cris Carter was on talking about his son in the CFL. The other panel guys were figuring that a college team could beat a CFL team and he told them they were full of poop and they couldn't believe it.
Yeah he said every cfl team would whoop Alabama on ESPN and they were impressed and did not realize it was that good quality of player

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I've been beating this drum for years. Canadians as a rule will not consider a Canadian worth their attention unless they have made it in the United States (except for hockey players). Be it in sports, entertainment, business, or politics. They will always think that these folks are second class until the US accepts them as a star of their particular field.

Quebec will put a lie to this statement, due to their distinct culture they are more inclined to be supportive of their own. But ROC? We suck at supporting our domestics.
Unfortunately, have to agree. But I will say for much of Canada the inferiority complex is gone but might be still going strong in a certain area of the country where there is a large population base. I think it was pronounced dead and buried in Vancouver in 2010.

Also with the great lessening of US influence on the world stage (in all aspects, sports included) that has helped.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 11, 2022 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:51 PM

This may be controversial to some but those stereotypes have existed for many years and do not take into consideration immigration and the evolution of the black Canadian athlete. Back in my day, national basketball, football, soccer teams were decidedly white. That is no longer the case, I'm not saying one is any better than the other, I am saying the addition of black Canadian athletes has tipped the balance.

I am of the opinion that Canadian college sports have evolved at a higher rate than US colleges. JMO. Not saying we are better, I am saying that they've been at a high level for so long and we have been playing catchup.

Take for instance the CanAm Bowl of 1978 where the US prevailed 22-7 where everyone thought the Canadians would get smoked (Canada was actually the only team to score an offensive touchdown, the US had two pick sixes) We were doomed by ineffective offense of which is something that has been vastly improved, RBs and now hopefully QBs. And considering how successful Canadian teams have been in the International comps and more and more Canadians going to NCAA and NFL, I think it would be fun to replay that CanAM event and see how we fare now.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 8:54 PM

Can-Am Bowl I, 1/8/78
Travis Puterbaugh Tampa Sports History January 14, 2008

On Jan. 8, 1978, Tampa Stadium played host to an event unprecedented in the history of football. The Can-Am Bowl, an All-Star game pitting collegians from the United States and Canada against each other, was especially unique since the game was played by Canadian football rules. For one afternoon, top seniors from major American universities would play football against the top seniors and underclassmen from Canada. The city of Tampa, of all places, served as the battleground to finally settle the age-old debate of football superiority between these two border nations.

Actually, the disparity in football talent between Canada and the United States could not have been greater at the time. Team Canada just hoped to field a competitive team, while the American athletes hoped to avoid the humiliation of an upset loss to the Canadians. Jack Zilly, coach of Team USA, cautioned against underestimating the team from Canada, but added, “It would be embarrassing to go back to Tennessee, Alabama, Stanford, or where the players are from, if you have been beaten."

Increasing the angst of the Americans were the quirky Canadian rules. For example, teams would have only three downs to gain 10 yards, meaning "every offensive play in Canada is designed to go 10," according to Sam Bailey, the Can-Am Bowl’s executive director and former University of Tampa head coach.

Additionally, the field would be lengthened from 100 to 110 yards and widened from 53 to 60 feet. Larger fields meant larger teams as well, with the addition of one offensive and defensive player to each side of the line of scrimmage. It wasn't uncommon for a Canadian offense to feature four -- yes, four -- running backs on a given play. Throw in unlimited motion in the backfield, and one can imagine the headaches experienced by American coaches readying a game plan for their team of collegians, -- who had played football their entire lives by completely different rules.

"With the rules as we have them set up," Bailey said, "it should make for a good, competitive game, the kind fans like to see. After all, football is football."

In a surprise to no one, the United States prevailed over the Canadians by a score of 22-7. Rather than being a wide-open shootout, however, the game was a defensive struggle. In fact, Team Canada, not the U.S., was be responsible for the only offensive touchdown of the game, a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter to avoid a shutout and cap the game's scoring.

The U.S. put up the majority of its points on a pair of interceptions returned for touchdowns. In the second quarter, Vanderbilt cornerback Bernard Wilson picked off a pass by Acadia University’s Bob Cameron and returned it 44 yards for the game's first touchdown. Wilson’s score followed a U.S. field goal and two "rouges," one-point bonuses awarded to the kicking team for tackling a returner in his own end zone on a kickoff or punt. Colorado State punter Mike Deutsch recorded two rouges in a span of two minutes and two seconds for the Americans.

"On the first rouge, I didn't know at first I had scored a point," he said. "I knew something had happened and then they flashed the point on the scoreboard. All I could say was wow.”

Georgia linebacker Ben Zambiasi added to the Americans’ lead with a 10-yard interception return for a touchdown in the third quarter. The extra point put the U.S. ahead 22-0. Coincidentally, Zambiasi went on to have a successful 11-year career in the professional Canadian Football League. An eight-time CFL All-Star who played in four Grey Cup championship games and won one, he was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2004. And Cameron, Canada’s beleaguered quarterback that day, eventually won three Grey Cups and still holds the CFL record for most career punting yards.

Another interesting tidbit about the game was not apparent at the time, but the American squad featured two athletes who became well-known to Tampa football fans: Missouri’s Jim Leavitt and Bruce Allen from the University of Richmond. Leavitt, now head coach at the University of South Florida, made his mark in college as a linebacker. Allen, son of Hall of Fame Redskins and Rams coach George Allen, shared punting duties for the U.S. squad and connected on field goals of 23 and 25 yards.

Twenty-five years later, however, the game is more likely to be remembered for the steady downpour of rain than for any on-field performance. An 11,000-strong crowd attended the game, but by the end the rain had driven away all but a few thousand -- mostly Canadian -- diehards.

"What do I remember most about the game? The rain was the biggest problem," Sam Bailey recently recalled. "It wasn't totally unsuccessful, but it didn't do as well as we thought we could."

The game continued in various incarnations for three years after the first Can-Am Bowl, eventually turning into an exhibition between two Canadian squads.

In 1986, however, Tampa Stadium became a big-time bowl destination as host of the Hall of Fame Bowl, the first major college bowl game to be played in Tampa.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:01 PM

IIRC, Western's John Priestner (linebacker) was "discovered" that day and ended up being drafted by the Baltimore Colts, a rare thing back then, not so much now, which is why I am saying we have improved so much.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:04 PM
arf

Quote:
Can-Am Bowl I, 1/8/78
Travis Puterbaugh Tampa Sports History January 14, 2008

On Jan. 8, 1978, Tampa Stadium played host to an event unprecedented in the history of football. The Can-Am Bowl, an All-Star game pitting collegians from the United States and Canada against each other, was especially unique since the game was played by Canadian football rules. For one afternoon, top seniors from major American universities would play football against the top seniors and underclassmen from Canada. The city of Tampa, of all places, served as the battleground to finally settle the age-old debate of football superiority between these two border nations.

Actually, the disparity in football talent between Canada and the United States could not have been greater at the time. Team Canada just hoped to field a competitive team, while the American athletes hoped to avoid the humiliation of an upset loss to the Canadians. Jack Zilly, coach of Team USA, cautioned against underestimating the team from Canada, but added, “It would be embarrassing to go back to Tennessee, Alabama, Stanford, or where the players are from, if you have been beaten."

Increasing the angst of the Americans were the quirky Canadian rules. For example, teams would have only three downs to gain 10 yards, meaning "every offensive play in Canada is designed to go 10," according to Sam Bailey, the Can-Am Bowl’s executive director and former University of Tampa head coach.

Additionally, the field would be lengthened from 100 to 110 yards and widened from 53 to 60 feet. Larger fields meant larger teams as well, with the addition of one offensive and defensive player to each side of the line of scrimmage. It wasn't uncommon for a Canadian offense to feature four -- yes, four -- running backs on a given play. Throw in unlimited motion in the backfield, and one can imagine the headaches experienced by American coaches readying a game plan for their team of collegians, -- who had played football their entire lives by completely different rules.

"With the rules as we have them set up," Bailey said, "it should make for a good, competitive game, the kind fans like to see. After all, football is football."

In a surprise to no one, the United States prevailed over the Canadians by a score of 22-7. Rather than being a wide-open shootout, however, the game was a defensive struggle. In fact, Team Canada, not the U.S., was be responsible for the only offensive touchdown of the game, a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter to avoid a shutout and cap the game's scoring.

The U.S. put up the majority of its points on a pair of interceptions returned for touchdowns. In the second quarter, Vanderbilt cornerback Bernard Wilson picked off a pass by Acadia University’s Bob Cameron and returned it 44 yards for the game's first touchdown. Wilson’s score followed a U.S. field goal and two "rouges," one-point bonuses awarded to the kicking team for tackling a returner in his own end zone on a kickoff or punt. Colorado State punter Mike Deutsch recorded two rouges in a span of two minutes and two seconds for the Americans.

"On the first rouge, I didn't know at first I had scored a point," he said. "I knew something had happened and then they flashed the point on the scoreboard. All I could say was wow.”

Georgia linebacker Ben Zambiasi added to the Americans’ lead with a 10-yard interception return for a touchdown in the third quarter. The extra point put the U.S. ahead 22-0. Coincidentally, Zambiasi went on to have a successful 11-year career in the professional Canadian Football League. An eight-time CFL All-Star who played in four Grey Cup championship games and won one, he was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2004. And Cameron, Canada’s beleaguered quarterback that day, eventually won three Grey Cups and still holds the CFL record for most career punting yards.

Another interesting tidbit about the game was not apparent at the time, but the American squad featured two athletes who became well-known to Tampa football fans: Missouri’s Jim Leavitt and Bruce Allen from the University of Richmond. Leavitt, now head coach at the University of South Florida, made his mark in college as a linebacker. Allen, son of Hall of Fame Redskins and Rams coach George Allen, shared punting duties for the U.S. squad and connected on field goals of 23 and 25 yards.

Twenty-five years later, however, the game is more likely to be remembered for the steady downpour of rain than for any on-field performance. An 11,000-strong crowd attended the game, but by the end the rain had driven away all but a few thousand -- mostly Canadian -- diehards.

"What do I remember most about the game? The rain was the biggest problem," Sam Bailey recently recalled. "It wasn't totally unsuccessful, but it didn't do as well as we thought we could."

The game continued in various incarnations for three years after the first Can-Am Bowl, eventually turning into an exhibition between two Canadian squads.

In 1986, however, Tampa Stadium became a big-time bowl destination as host of the Hall of Fame Bowl, the first major college bowl game to be played in Tampa.
Ben Zambiasi was my favourite player as a kid. Hamilton!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Ben Zambiasi was my favourite player as a kid. Hamilton!
Bob Cameron, although he was great at Acadia, might not have been the best QB in the CFL but he ended up being a fair punter

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quality of canadians has been very good but the quantity is the real concern with participation in tackle football plummeting in Canada cfl teams are struggling to fill spots more so than in the 80s and 90s.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Take that NFL snobs (start at 12:53)
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Quality of canadians has been very good but the quantity is the real concern with participation in tackle football plummeting in Canada cfl teams are struggling to fill spots more so than in the 80s and 90s.
I don't know if that last part is verifiably true, again referencing my post about the emergence of the Canadian black athlete. Also, flag football programs are being implemented to introduce kids to football. The problem isn't and won't be with football, the problem will be the socialization of kids in school where they have been brainwashed and wrapped in bubble plastic to the detriment of any group interaction at all.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 10:19 PM

I like the new kids of CFL ownership: Doman going the "old school" way and this guy working the new.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:02 AM

I find that it’s mostly the “fantasy football fans” that demean the CFL. They are simply fans of fantasy football, and really only watch NFL games if their players or defence is playing.. If they were really fans of football, and actually understood the game, they would appreciate the skill of the CFL and the game itself. Their opinion of the sport of football has zero credibility.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
I find that it’s mostly the “fantasy football fans” that demean the CFL. They are simply fans of fantasy football, and really only watch NFL games if their players or defence is playing.. If they were really fans of football, and actually understood the game, they would appreciate the skill of the CFL and the game itself. Their opinion of the sport of football has zero credibility.
Amen

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:24 AM

Yes!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:49 AM

Augh. Heartbreaker at IG Field. The game reminded me of any number of episodes of "Mayday", where quite often a plane crash is a result of a bunch of seemingly minor and correctable things that all line up in a row to the point it ends up downing a plane.

-Collaros being pressured all night
-Critical fraction of an inch offside penalty at a crucial goal line stand
-Several borderline questionable referee calls
-Absolutely disastrous shanking of what should have been an easy walk-off field goal
-Hitting the upright on a makeable FG to tie the game in OT

It's easy to blame the kicker since he messed up at two very clutch moments late in the game, but he is certainly not the only one at fault.

The hush that fell over the crowd tonight when that ball hit the upright in OT was just something else...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunately, have to agree. But I will say for much of Canada the inferiority complex is gone but might be still going strong in a certain area of the country where there is a large population base. I think it was pronounced dead and buried in Vancouver in 2010.

Also with the great lessening of US influence on the world stage (in all aspects, sports included) that has helped.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

While you shop at Costco and Walmart..

Order from Amazon..

Stay at an Airbnb..

Call an Uber..

Post to FB or IG or Twitter..

Go to Starbucks or MacDonald's..

Subscribe to Netflix and Disney + and/or spend 100$ or more a month on 200 channels of American content

Know every American politician's name and political stance and you're on 24-hour 'Trumpwatch'..

I'm sure nobody in Vancouver fits that profile..

Unless Vancouver pretended to be some U.S. place in a movie - famous!

Canadians are so oblivious to the extent that we're owned by the U.S.

Because it has been a incremental process.

We're such idiots that we celebrate whenever yet another bullshit American fast food joint - ex: Chic Fil A - comes to town!

We're so fucking stupid we actually line up!!

Oh... Canada...

Last edited by Al Ski; Aug 12, 2022 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Augh. Heartbreaker at IG Field. The game reminded me of any number of episodes of "Mayday", where quite often a plane crash is a result of a bunch of seemingly minor and correctable things that all line up in a row to the point it ends up downing a plane.

-Collaros being pressured all night
-Critical fraction of an inch offside penalty at a crucial goal line stand
-Several borderline questionable referee calls
-Absolutely disastrous shanking of what should have been an easy walk-off field goal
-Hitting the upright on a makeable FG to tie the game in OT

It's easy to blame the kicker since he messed up at two very clutch moments late in the game, but he is certainly not the only one at fault.

The hush that fell over the crowd tonight when that ball hit the upright in OT was just something else...
“THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME!”
Quoting some college coach after a loss.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada