HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
People who already aren't CFL fans because they think it's too small-time are not going to be roped in by a merger with the 19th attempt at 2nd tier NFL.
Bingo!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 8:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Agree with you and someone123. I don't think anyone wants to see a team in Halifax more than us but we have to be realistic. Not sure if it was Cohon who said you need three things for a franchise: ownership, stadium and a fanbase, Halifax has none of these.
I will point out that I'm not a CFL fan or enthusiast. I'm just posting about what I see in the news and how some of the arguments don't make much sense. If underlying facts changed I'd say something different, and FWIW my own personal assessment of if the funding is worth it or not depends on specifics of the project. I don't personally like the Shannon Park plans much. I don't think it makes much sense to spread out amenities and have complicated transportation plans in a smaller city building one of a handful of major amenities.

I'm not sure how Halifax can realistically demonstrate more of a fanbase than it has already with games rapidly selling out there when it doesn't have a team yet. 30,000 people get together in a field every few weeks and burn a bonfire of cash?

I don't think the soaring construction cost argument is a very good one and people always say it is a new deal-breaker. Inflation is trending down and we don't know where it will be in a couple years which is basically nothing for this CFL expansion timeline. Halifax has been growing faster lately and overall has a stronger economy than years ago when this concept was floated (80's or 2000's); the fiscal capacity to build a CFL-sized stadium is likely higher today than in 2010 or 1990. I think we are still in the covid hangover and it's interesting that they already did another CFL game there, probably to try to reboot it a bit.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 8:36 PM

It's unfortunate how anti-football the soccer people usually are. I think there's a real opportunity to combine forces with some decent compromises.

"Schooners" could accept a smaller stadium that could be expanded in phases based on success.

Wanderers could accept sharing a field (they do it a couple times a year for rugby already).

The city would get a field getting 2 teams making use of it. Build a 10-12000 seat stadium, with the lower bowl optimized for soccer and upper tier on one side to add capacity for football. Put camera locations on both sides so that you see a full single-tier stadium for soccer (seems important to them for atmosphere). Have zone seating that bring fans close for soccer, that can be put away for football since you want to be between the goal lines for that.

From the start, figure out how you'll add on to it, and build it such that temp stand can be added to test out larger capacities before committing to the full build.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 9:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I agree with you guys that merging with the XFL will only make the CFL appear more second-rate with many fans, but given how things are trending for the league, my guess is that it's moving towards an inevitability.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 9:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
It's unfortunate how anti-football the soccer people usually are. I think there's a real opportunity to combine forces with some decent compromises.

"Schooners" could accept a smaller stadium that could be expanded in phases based on success.

Wanderers could accept sharing a field (they do it a couple times a year for rugby already).

The city would get a field getting 2 teams making use of it. Build a 10-12000 seat stadium, with the lower bowl optimized for soccer and upper tier on one side to add capacity for football. Put camera locations on both sides so that you see a full single-tier stadium for soccer (seems important to them for atmosphere). Have zone seating that bring fans close for soccer, that can be put away for football since you want to be between the goal lines for that.

From the start, figure out how you'll add on to it, and build it such that temp stand can be added to test out larger capacities before committing to the full build.
Soccer and Foootball are very different games. I'm surprised there's these expectations over the fanbases getting along better. How would Soccer and Football getting together improve on the government(s) paying for a stadium?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 9:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Soccer and Foootball are very different games. I'm surprised there's these expectations over the fanbases getting along better. How would Soccer and Football getting together improve on the government(s) paying for a stadium?
Good point.

Until fairly recently, one could even say that either sport basically had its reserved "zones" geographically worldwide, where the other had very little presence. Or at least, it was tiny compared to other's dominance.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I wouldn't say that at all, I think there is crossover and I've witnessed it first hand. Nobody (or very very few) had an issue when the CSA and the Argos were working together to build a new stadium for Toronto. This rift basically began when a number of TFC zealots railed against the Argos when they were moving to BMO. It is as simple as that, there was no animosity before then.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 12:22 PM

Bombers find a way to do it again... 7-0! Woooo!

Not the most dominant performance, but they did what they had to do to get the w. Much tougher test awaits in the rematch vs. Calgary next week.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

Last night was the first CFL game (Elks/Bombs) with Cree play by play!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 2:38 AM
arf

4-0 to go to 19-8.

Defense was saving Saskatchewan, but they got tired and were doomed in the 4th. Welcome to the rest of the season boys.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 4:42 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I wouldn't say that at all, I think there is crossover and I've witnessed it first hand. Nobody (or very very few) had an issue when the CSA and the Argos were working together to build a new stadium for Toronto. This rift basically began when a number of TFC zealots railed against the Argos when they were moving to BMO. It is as simple as that, there was no animosity before then.
Huh? I explicitly mentioned the game and fanbases The CSA and Argos are sport entities. It's also one thing for two fanbases/ commerical products to band together in order to get a stadium built. It's another to have a stadium built tuned to one particular sport and than have another share the space and expect no animosity.

Fortunately, the Raptors home was still under construction when the Leafs "took over". There were still tentative basketball fans when the team was purchased by MLSE.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 1:29 PM
arf

19-8.

Montreal @ Hamilton: go with the home team,
BC @ Saskatchewan: Riders could really use the bye week this week and they are playing on a short week, expect a lot of booing in the stands
Winnipeg @ Calgary: no reason to not pick them.
Ottawa @ Toronto: This isn't an 0-whatever team, but this isn't their week.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 2:07 PM

I'm curious to see the TV numbers for the Sunday game. I'm at the gate scanning tickets and we were saying to each other that there seems to be more people this time. Also the reviews on SM have been generally positive (at least in my feed). There was a thread on twitter about the TSN numbers this year and Thursday nights have been dropping like a stone.

I made a comment that once the CFL went exclusive with TSN (2008) the numbers peaked in 2010 or 2011 but have been on a downward trend ever since.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 12:02 PM

Checking in from sunny Halifax with this week's picks...

Went 2-2 again last week for a 20-7 overall total.

This week I like:

Montreal at Hamilton - a lot of these East Division matchups are tough to predict but I think the Cats should be a relatively safe pick here. Hamilton.

BC at Sask - the good times will keep on rolling for the Lions. BC.

Winnipeg at Calgary. A tough matchup for the Bombers but I think they can pull this one out with some of that blue magic. Winnipeg

Ottawa at Toronto. Argos should be able to dispatch a mess of a Redblacks team. Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 9:38 AM

Last edited by elly63; Jul 29, 2022 at 10:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 5:52 AM

BC 32
Saskatchewan 17

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 1:45 AM

Bombers beat Calgary in Calgary they are certainly rolling and producing a special season so far. Collaros on fire Schoen a star in the making Demski and Oliveira great contributions today.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 4:13 PM

Collaros is so clutch I hope they can put some more marketing in the guy he still kinda goes under the radar compared to other stars. Kinda get a Tom Clements vibe from him as the Bombers QB from the 80's who just quietly picked apart defenses but was money for the Bombers as well.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 9:24 PM

Great game last night. I thought the Bombers would lose given the team's mounting injuries and Calgary coming off a bye week.

Collaros played excellent and the Bombers actually had a running game. Hopefully a sign of things to come?

Defense was good for most of the game moreso in the first half. Appeared to have some trouble limiting Stamps' drives as the game wore on.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 9:33 PM

Saw this article https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2022...otal-spending/ with Kansas City building a second soccer-specific stadium in the metro area. $117 million for an 11,500 seater.

Seeing those kind of construction costs for that size of a facility tells me how much of an uphill battle it would be to fund a 20,000 seat facility in Halifax or wherever the CFL is hoping to expand to in the future. Given inflation a halfway decent facility that probably wouldn't even approach Tim Hortons Field would likely be $200 million or more.

The $20 million offered by the city of Halifax 3 years ago (which I don't even think is on the table anymore) would be a drop in the bucket.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada