HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 4:58 AM

BC didn't play great but won.
They are now 4-1 in week 7 lol.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 5:49 AM

Sorry to rewind a week temporarily, but just wanted to comment on Touchdown Atlantic at Acadia. It was a lot of fun. While there were some logistical problems at the game, it was a raucous, jovial crowd. Most fans from out of town treated it like a Grey Cup in that they wore the jerseys of the teams that they normally cheered for and all nine teams were represented. (Of course the Rider fans were most evident).

Throughout Halifax, virtually everyone knew there was a CFL game on and no one batted an eye that my son and I were there for that as there were tons of fans around.

The most common question from out of towners to locals? "Why don't you guys have a team?".

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 5:57 AM
Community Guy

Halifax MUST get a team, period. It would inject so much into our game and make things that much more balance, fun and god damn I want to go to a Grey Cup in Halifax.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Halifax MUST get a team, period. It would inject so much into our game and make things that much more balance, fun and god damn I want to go to a Grey Cup in Halifax.
Yep, 10 teams would solve many easy to solve issues. But the apathy of Canadians toward domestic professional leagues is a worrying trend that I have no idea how to change.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 1:46 PM
Community Guy

^a few more 'superstars' and an even greater effort to get a more diverse crowd out.

My heart says Edmonton by 3 tonight.

My money says Bombers by 30.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
^a few more 'superstars' and an even greater effort to get a more diverse crowd out.

My heart says Edmonton by 3 tonight.

My money says Bombers by 30.
Ellingson and Jeffcoat are injured and not playing edmonton might have a chance

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
I really think that a majority of Canadians are of the belief that a professional league is not legit unless there are US teams (and US money) involved.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 3:20 PM

Can always merge with the xfl ha ha

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 4:36 PM

Doug Ford should urge his voters to support the Argos they would fill the stadium. Suburban Toronto seem to be the Argos' best match.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Ellingson and Jeffcoat are injured and not playing edmonton might have a chance
Against Calgary I think this could have been a factor but it shouldn't be an issue vs Edmonton. Bombers have won without Jeffcoat and they still have pretty good depth at receiver as evidenced by Agudoni's performance last week.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Sorry to rewind a week temporarily, but just wanted to comment on Touchdown Atlantic at Acadia. It was a lot of fun. While there were some logistical problems at the game, it was a raucous, jovial crowd. Most fans from out of town treated it like a Grey Cup in that they wore the jerseys of the teams that they normally cheered for and all nine teams were represented. (Of course the Rider fans were most evident).

Throughout Halifax, virtually everyone knew there was a CFL game on and no one batted an eye that my son and I were there for that as there were tons of fans around.

The most common question from out of towners to locals? "Why don't you guys have a team?".
Sounds like a fabulous time! I was in the neighborhood but I already had plans that day and couldn't attend, but from what I saw on TV it looked fantastic. Seemed like it was done up as a true event, more than just a game.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 6:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
There is a lot of silly stuff floating around this (Halifax doesn't have a can-do attitude and so on) but at the end of the day Halifax is not really that small of a town relative to the scale of the CFL, building a modest 20-30k stadium there isn't far-fetched at all, it's obviously the place for a team in Atlantic Canada, and it's obviously weird that Canada has an ostensibly national league that leaves out a region with millions of inhabitants.

I think a lot of the road blocks have more to do with details of the past proposals than anything else, with the main problem being that there is too much emphasis on complicated large projects without any reasonable path broken into steps. The municipality and province will chip in but they're not going to spend $300M-1B+ to try out a new sports team. That's just common sense and basic fiscal responsibility. The municipality even funded a $70M-100M or so project just a few years ago but this was deemed not good enough and not worked into a multi-phase plan for the CFL. When these projects fail there is also a chilling effect after. For the Commonwealth Games the city was prepared to spend a lot but when the budget ballooned up into the billions (in the early 2000's) the project died and that whole funding area was politically radioactive for a while.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:03 PM

^ I think you touched on the key point... It has to be broken down into biteable chunks. The CFL sounds a bit like a pushy salesman saying Halifax to go all in and commit to the whole deal. It's prudent for Halifax and Nova Scotia officials to say no at that point. There has to be some way to make it happen without insisting on a massive $400 million or whatever up-front outlay.

But that said, Halifax has to demonstrate some willingness to step up as well. For a city of its size, it has a pretty weak collection of sports facilities as civic amenities. Even the Wanderers field is lacklustre and looks like something you might expect to see in a place like Brandon or Moose Jaw as compared to the pre eminent city of the entire region.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:30 PM

I just don't see Halifax happening especially post covid with construction costs soaring and the schooners group basically pulling out and seemed to have weak financial pockets to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think you touched on the key point... It has to be broken down into biteable chunks. The CFL sounds a bit like a pushy salesman saying Halifax to go all in and commit to the whole deal. It's prudent for Halifax and Nova Scotia officials to say no at that point. There has to be some way to make it happen without insisting on a massive $400 million or whatever up-front outlay.

But that said, Halifax has to demonstrate some willingness to step up as well. For a city of its size, it has a pretty weak collection of sports facilities as civic amenities. Even the Wanderers field is lacklustre and looks like something you might expect to see in a place like Brandon or Moose Jaw as compared to the pre eminent city of the entire region.
Agree with you and someone123. I don't think anyone wants to see a team in Halifax more than us but we have to be realistic. Not sure if it was Cohon who said you need three things for a franchise: ownership, stadium and a fanbase, Halifax has none of these.

I don't know if the present ownership group has the bucks to see this through, they may have, but I don't know for certain. There is no stadium or realistic plan for one and no fanbase of a large enough size that is clamouring for a team publicly.

Now I know our resident troll could have told you all that but I probably have more interest and am closer to this than most. I want a Redblacks not a Renegades, if this isn't done damn near perfectly like the Redblacks were, it would be a tremendous setback for everybody.

None of this is to say it isn't possible because knowing all three Maritime provinces I think it is, and for me, the first proof of confidence would be an ownership group with proven very deep pockets. The rest can start from there.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
I just don't see Halifax happening especially post covid with construction costs soaring and the schooners group basically pulling out and seemed to have weak financial pockets to begin with.
I can see it happening, as I have said, but not now, the timing is bad and the proper details aren't in place (as I posted above)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Me too.

Ott vs Mtl was entertaining although all these “command center” reviews are annoying. Why even have on-field refs ?

BC looking good so far.
This is the most solid team for the Lions in years. Winnipeg and BC in the Western Final!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Same here, 2-2. If my math is correct that puts me at 18-5 on the season.

Checking in from the sunny shores of PEI National Park (well not really, it's actually raining today) with my week 7 picks...

Montreal at Ottawa: totally weird toss up game. I feel bad for anyone trying to put money on this one. I'll go with the home team, because why not. Ottawa.

Hamilton at BC. No chance of an upset here. BC wins this one.

Winnipeg at Edmonton: Bombers keep rolling right along. Winnipeg.

Toronto at Saskatchewan: Riders bounce back at home against the Argos. Saskatchewan.
I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that most of the Roughrider team was playing with covid at that Atlantic touchdown event last weekend and that the Riders home game against Agros has been postponed.
My guess is the riders will lose again when they can field a team next.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut View Post
This is the most solid team for the Lions in years. Winnipeg and BC in the Western Final!

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that most of the Roughrider team was playing with covid at that Atlantic touchdown event last weekend and that the Riders home game against Agros has been postponed.
My guess is the riders will lose again when they can field a team next.
The game was moved to Sunday.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I think they'd lose more fans than they'd gain, and not have a way to undo it.

I have no interest in a merger. I'd probably check out, and only go the occasional game rather then being a STH and hanging flags off my porch. Being unique and independent is a big part of the attraction of the CFL.

People who already aren't CFL fans because they think it's too small-time are not going to be roped in by a merger with the 19th attempt at 2nd tier NFL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada