HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Oof i am not sure there is even 5000 people at the Argos game yikes. I guess MLSE is ok with it as apathy from ownership trickles down to apathy in fans.
So I guess Toronto isn't an US wannabe after all? Monday Night Football can't bring em out? What's the excuse this time? School night?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:27 PM

I enjoyed watching a game on a Monday night... I could get used to it!

Interesting hearing the US anthem before the game for that extra American flavour ... I'm sure it's happened at some time since, but honestly the last time I can remember hearing the American anthem before a CFL game was right after 9/11.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:41 PM
arf

Quote:
Oof i am not sure there is even 5000 people at the Argos game yikes. I guess MLSE is ok with it as apathy from ownership trickles down to apathy in fans.
The highlights did not look like a lot of people and unlike all the other games cfl.ca is not posting the numbers for attendence and there is nothing in any story covering the game about it. Total coverup of the embarassment.

If you watch the highlights on CFL.ca, the first ten seconds gives the best views of the lack of attendance. I'm surprised that even got past the video editing because there is almost 0 crowd views throughout the rest of the highlights.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:47 PM

The athletic did an article recently with TFC and Argos president Bill Manning and he had so much enthusiasm and ideas when talking about TFC and how they signed the Italian player this month for 15 million a year to boost crowds. When talking of the Argos he basically gave up saying they don't expect to ever have the Argos sell out BMO field and they don't know how to connect with new Canadians to attract fans. Was very disappointed to read his lack of effort.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
The athletic did an article recently with TFC and Argos president Bill Manning and he had so much enthusiasm and ideas when talking about TFC and how they signed the Italian player this month for 15 million a year to boost crowds. When talking of the Argos he basically gave up saying they don't expect to ever have the Argos sell out BMO field and they don't know how to connect with new Canadians to attract fans. Was very disappointed to read his lack of effort.
MLSE needs to put a person in charge who actually gives a shit.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
MLSE needs to put a person in charge who actually gives a shit.
They seem content losing 10 million a year on the Argos as its just a rounding error to them. This is why I hate corporations owning teams as no one cares or has the personal interest in the team that an individual owner does.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:47 PM

What a change from the last decade when everyone thought having the MLSE guys involved would change everything. Basically Cynamon and Sokolowski were the only Argo owners in the last 30+ years since McNall to find any traction... everyone else has just been spinning their wheels. And that includes some very deep pocketed owners, like the aforementioned MLSE, and back in the 90s Labatt's/TSN.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What a change from the last decade when everyone thought having the MLSE guys involved would change everything. Basically Cynamon and Sokolowski were the only Argo owners in the last 30+ years since McNall to find any traction... everyone else has just been spinning their wheels. And that includes some very deep pocketed owners, like the aforementioned MLSE, and back in the 90s Labatt's/TSN.
Yeah Cynamon group was last one who put in serious effort they were averaging 30000 fans a game signed Ricky Williams and had ex tsn president Keith Pelley as president. Their biggest mistake was resiging with Rogers centre lease instead of joining tfc as equal partners when bmo was being planned and built now they play second fiddle to tfc and it shows

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Correct. They should give Doman a call for how to connect to new Canadians, are they getting a Rogers or Bell rate or are they too cheap to call long distance.

How do you fix the Toronto Argonauts?
Lorenzo Insigne has arrived in MLS. Is Toronto FC ready?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
When talking of the Argos he basically gave up saying they don't expect to ever have the Argos sell out BMO field and they don't know how to connect with new Canadians to attract fans.
This is an issue everywhere.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah Cynamon group was last one who put in serious effort they were averaging 30000 fans a game signed Ricky Williams and had ex tsn president Keith Pelley as president. Their biggest mistake was resiging with Rogers centre lease instead of joining tfc as equal partners when bmo was being planned and built now they play second fiddle to tfc and it shows
They can't really blame TFC at this point. At the end of the day what would the Argo situation be if they were in on the ground floor at BMO? Maybe they'd have some more Friday/Saturday games... but what else? How are they not realizing the full benefit of their current venue?

If they want to point fingers, they can blame their football ops people for laying a huge egg and sending the crowd home disappointed last night.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
They can't really blame TFC at this point. At the end of the day what would the Argo situation be if they were in on the ground floor at BMO? Maybe they'd have some more Friday/Saturday games... but what else? How are they not realizing the full benefit of their current venue?

If they want to point fingers, they can blame their football ops people for laying a huge egg and sending the crowd home disappointed last night.
Moreso i mean had they joined bmo originally i think Cynamon group would have stayed on as Argos owners as they probably had a much better chance in the early 2010s of a Renaissance at bmo before the club slowly decayed under Braley and mlse ownership from neglect

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
I don't think their won/loss record is the biggest issue. Reading those articles was such a disappointment, it seemed to reinforce it didn't matter what their record was.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Moreso i mean had they joined bmo originally i think Cynamon group would have stayed on as Argos owners as they probably had a much better chance in the early 2010s of a Renaissance at bmo before the club slowly decayed under Braley and mlse ownership from neglect
After reading that article I'm not a big Cynamon fan and especially since we know Braley was giving them cash.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
After reading that article I'm not a big Cynamon fan and especially since we know Braley was giving them cash.
Braley was their bank but at least Cynamon and Sokolowski did a decent job promoting the team. If they were still drawing 30,000 fans a game the way they were 15 years ago, there wouldn't be a problem.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:27 PM

I just hope MLSE loses interest and sells the team as their neglect has made this an embarrassment. Move the team to London ON if you have to but the pictures of last nights lack of a crowd is enough already

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 5:26 PM

With Argos crowds this small why not move them to Lamport stadium downtown as it seats 9500 and is currently the Argos practice facility. Would look much better on tv to have a full stadium and you could probably raise ticket prices a bit there if there's some demand due to a smaller stadium. Also they wouldn't have to get crappy dates like a Monday for games as they wouldn't have the turf condition issue with tfc.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:33 PM

^ Lamport is not a pro stadium. It is not even big enough for a regulation CFL field. There is no way it is a realistic option.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
^ Lamport is not a pro stadium. It is not even big enough for a regulation CFL field. There is no way it is a realistic option.
How about Varsity Stadium or York if not move them to Guelph or London

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
How about Varsity Stadium or York if not move them to Guelph or London
Varsity at least fits a CFL field. But even that place is outfitted more like a community centre venue than a pro facility. It's been a while since I've been in there, but I think there was like 1 tiny concession stand for food. That's it.

Honestly, BMO is the best option for the Argos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada