HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
So Zellers coming back is real? I keep hearing mixed messages about this.
Yep, there's been an announcement with a list of 25 Hudson's Bay locations that will host Zellers.

In the Vancouver area there will be three - Downtown, Guildford Town Centre (Surrey), and Sevenoaks Mall (Abbotsford).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:15 PM

Speaking of Zellers nostalgia, has anyone seen Son of a Critch on CBC? Last night's episode had a passing reference to Simpsons-Sears. That's one I haven't heard in ages.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 1:11 AM

London is getting one in the White Oaks Mall Bay store. Was curious which of the 2 Bays would get one, but I think White Oaks has a bigger Bay store than Masonville and also has a Walmart. Wonder how long before we see HBC take the big step and actually convert a Bay into a Zellers completely or open a Zellers elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 1:43 AM

Anyone think it will succeed?

The Target market niche has never really been filled in Canada (especially by target during their fiasco), so maybe if they can get it right, but a big if.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 1:57 AM

what is it going to be though? from the pictures and reviews I've read since they started opening some inside Bay stores, they just look like they sell Olympic mittens and Canada Shirts and toys. It seems like a strange idea.

blogto.com

homewares that the bay already sells just in a Zellers section?

strategyonline.ca

retailinsider

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post

The Target market niche has never really been filled in Canada (especially by target during their fiasco), so maybe if they can get it right, but a big if.
Depends. Are they duplicating product between Zellers and the Bay? Alternatively are they moving the move "value" product into Zellers and then leaving the high end designer product in "the Bay".

If they do that they may end up with two distinct brands, one that has the potential to go against Walmart and a second that competes at the higher end.

Target royally messed up their SAP deployment. That resulting in the wrong product in the wrong stores and lots of empty shelfs. Then there is all the other mistakes on top of that. The Bay has a working ERP system and logistics infrastructure. They are already one step ahead.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:37 AM

if they do come back with full stores they should try to do what Kmart does in Australia, they are great stores. Pretty much all in-store brands and merchandise and trendy, and people love it down there, they also had a target which reminded me of Zellers, Target doesn't have the cache or love down there as compared to Kmart.

buzzfeed.com

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
what is it going to be though? from the pictures and reviews I've read since they started opening some inside Bay stores, they just look like they sell Olympic mittens and Canada Shirts and toys. It seems like a strange idea.

blogto.com

homewares that the bay already sells just in a Zellers section?

strategyonline.ca

retailinsider
That doesn't feel like a Zellers at all. They slapped a bit of branding and called it a day. This is going to blow up in their faces.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That doesn't feel like a Zellers at all. They slapped a bit of branding and called it a day. This is going to blow up in their faces.
Yes it is missing half empty boxes in hallway, outdated store fixtures overloaded with product and big walmart style signs with prices. They did bring back the red trim on the carpet.

This is what it use to be like (though I think it should have more red):

Source wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zellers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post

My guess is that it won't do well. Bringing back a name that failed is a terrible idea. And the company is mainly American owned and the top people are American so I just don't see it being loved. It likely won't even have the nostalgic things that Zellers used to have. And now they are competing against Amazon along with many more online retailers so good luck.

As for Target, I was recently in a couple of stores one in Michigan and the other in Ohio. I didn't find them to be anything wonderful and definitely much inferior to Walmart when it comes to prices and selection. They did have some nice selections of certain items that you might not find at Walmart which included a number of small appliances and toys. Both locations had CVS pharmacies in them rather than the store just having them under the Target name.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
My guess is that it won't do well. Bringing back a name that failed is a terrible idea. And the company is mainly American owned and the top people are American so I just don't see it being loved. It likely won't even have the nostalgic things that Zellers used to have. And now they are competing against Amazon along with many more online retailers so good luck.

As for Target, I was recently in a couple of stores one in Michigan and the other in Ohio. I didn't find them to be anything wonderful and definitely much inferior to Walmart when it comes to prices and selection. They did have some nice selections of certain items that you might not find at Walmart which included a number of small appliances and toys. Both locations had CVS pharmacies in them rather than the store just having them under the Target name.
I go to target about twice a month in Bellingham, love them, you shop there for in-store brands like studio McGee, Hearth & Hand etc. They have some great dupes of Aesop in their Goodfellow mens line. The store itself is a disaster, its mostly empty shelves or boxes blocking aisles etc. Covid really hit that store and the mall it is in really bad, barely any employees.

I basically buy a basket each trip and some body washes and some candles, I find groceries and household goods cheaper in Canada.

corporate.target.com

lifeonvirginiastreet.com

stacyssavings.com

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 1:54 PM

Wonder how long before Walmart jumps on the nostalgia bandwagon and opens Woolco sections in their stores lol

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 12:16 AM

I bought black running shoes on clearance 15 years ago that I wore maybe 30 times. Then as I got older I realized that they were too tight and it's about style and comfort. Not just style. So I gave them away a couple years after purchase. I said I'll just get another pair on sale in due time. Well that due time took 10 years. I don't pay full price for almost all items of clothing because I feel like I can buy a more diversified wardrobe by paying half or more off for everything. So it took forever before I saw black runners with black soles that were stylish in Winners/Marshalls or somewhere on sale.

So many damn running shoes over the past 8 years(?) or so have white soles. They look great, but god damn, they take a lof of maintenance to keep white. And eventually there's a point you just can't keep the soles white.

I had two pairs of full white shoes back in the day. They both went downhill quickly. Then I realized I don't want white shoes again, no matter how cool they look, because I don't want to spend time cleaning them or thinking about where I can and can't wear them.

Finally, last week I saw another pair of dark and stylish runners at Winners with black soles. Some cool Puma shoes.

The black ones were $35 from Marshall's about four years ago. These grey Pumas were $50.

Anyone else think the same way about running shoes?

photo sharing software

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 12:24 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
thanks for the link, the one on east broadway is one of two in BC, and the other is in Houston BC.

I wonder if Jimmy Johns will come to Canada. Bellingham has three, I do want to try them someday. They also have Port of subs down there too.
Ugh hard pass
Eaten way too many of these when my folks lived in the States.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That’s not nearly depressing enough to replicate the Zellers experience as I remember it in the years before they folded.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 12:43 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
if they do come back with full stores they should try to do what Kmart does in Australia, they are great stores. Pretty much all in-store brands and merchandise and trendy, and people love it down there, they also had a target which reminded me of Zellers, Target doesn't have the cache or love down there as compared to Kmart.

buzzfeed.com
This would be ideal. Modern, fresh looking stores that don't have to look like the bargain basement stores of Zellers last years in Canada.

Nice displays, clean looking, in contrast to Walmart.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I bought black running shoes on clearance 15 years ago that I wore maybe 30 times. Then as I got older I realized that they were too tight and it's about style and comfort. Not just style. So I gave them away a couple years after purchase. I said I'll just get another pair on sale in due time. Well that due time took 10 years. I don't pay full price for almost all items of clothing because I feel like I can buy a more diversified wardrobe by paying half or more off for everything. So it took forever before I saw black runners with black soles that were stylish in Winners/Marshalls or somewhere on sale.

So many damn running shoes over the past 8 years(?) or so have white soles. They look great, but god damn, they take a lof of maintenance to keep white. And eventually there's a point you just can't keep the soles white.

I had two pairs of full white shoes back in the day. They both went downhill quickly. Then I realized I don't want white shoes again, no matter how cool they look, because I don't want to spend time cleaning them or thinking about where I can and can't wear them.

Finally, last week I saw another pair of dark and stylish runners at Winners with black soles. Some cool Puma shoes.

The black ones were $35 from Marshall's about four years ago. These grey Pumas were $50.

Anyone else think the same way about running shoes?
My feet are size 15 so I don't get sale prices on the limited shoes I can buy. $85 is the best I can do for New Balance orthotic friendly runners. All black, I would never wear white shoes, mostly because of my work environment, but even if I had extra shoes for away from work, I feel all white would really stand out in my size lol.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:07 PM

Retail Insider reports that Hudson’s Bay To Shut Londonderry Mall Store In Edmonton in August. It was estimated to do the same annual sales as the Shoppers' Drug Mart.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:09 PM
Great White Norf

any updates on the Zellers rollout? is there a fully built out store anywhere in Canada yet?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Retail Insider reports that Hudson’s Bay To Shut Londonderry Mall Store In Edmonton in August. It was estimated to do the same annual sales as the Shoppers' Drug Mart.
I remember 20 years ago that store seemed kind of forlorn and neglected. There are a few of those zombie-like suburban Bay locations that opened in the 70s and 80s mall retailing boom that never really took off but aren't really dead... I'm sure HBC will be anxious to ditch some of those leases. Part of me wonders if HBC would be wise to come up with a sub-brand for those types of less than full range locations...save Hudson's Bay for the full-line locations. The half-assed stores should get a different identity... the rinky dink ones like Londonderry, St. Vital, or downtown Regina probably just drag down the entire brand.

Winnipeg lost two such locations years ago (Unicity and Kildonan Place) and I wouldn't be shocked to see St. Vital eventually disappear too leaving Winnipeg with just one location at Polo Park.

As for bringing back Zellers, it seems like a doomed move driven by sheer desperation. I get the impression that things aren't great at HBC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada