HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 1:52 AM

5000 Kingsway? It's where the London Drugs is just to the east of Metropolis mall.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It was recently mentioned somewhere that 60,000 people are planned to live in the fully completed Brentwood alone. That is such a ridiculous number and requires several new schools at all levels, loads of daycare places and something more than two roads and three SkyTrain stations. I hope Purple Line would happen, but let's be frank, tthat will be closer to 2040 earliest. There are going to be some really tough years and even decades ahead when everyone's livability will be decreasing with more congestion and lack of services is only getting worse.

Two things I think this province is at least trying to be ahead is water system and hospital capacity. I am fully aware of the overall healthcare staffing challenges, it is pretty remarkable how much hospital construction in taking place in so many municipalities.
Wouldn't that be another 30-40 years? I would say 25 years at the minimum. That gives plenty of time to add all necessary services, including rapid transit connection between Brentwood and Metrotown. There are a number of schools currently under construction. Burnaby Secondary that is under construction looks so big... Also I've noticed that many of Burnaby's schools have a lot of vacant land around them, so at least they have a space where to build extra for additional capacity. Regarding road capacity I think there is only one way to do it right is to add more SkyTrain lines, stations and trains.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Wouldn't that be another 30-40 years? I would say 25 years at the minimum.
A news article in the past week listed all the current rezonings and master plans in Brentwood. I counted about 15k units and that list was likely incomplete. 2 people per unit and that's 30k already, plus whatever the current population is. Some of these master plans will take 10+ years to build out so it will take time but there will also be many other proposals coming forward during that period. This could use a bit more analysis. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Brentwood hits 60k population sooner rather than later and ultimately overshoots that projection.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post
I wouldn't at all be surprised if Brentwood hits 60k population sooner rather than later and ultimately overshoots that projection.
Considering Metro Vancouver is projected to add another 1,000,000+ people by 2050 (only 27 years from now), it would make sense that Brentwood would host at least 60,000 of them, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

Still plenty of time to catch up, we've done a lot since 1996 and can do a lot by 2050.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:56 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 9:32 PM

2023, January 25

Maywood On The Park - 6463 Silver Ave

Untitled by Lexus LX600, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 12:40 AM

Thanks.
The symmerical placement of the spandrel panels looks okay.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:29 AM

Better than average that's for sure.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:11 AM

It's a solid tower with nothing much to write home about. I think it's perfect height for that part of the area.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 1:22 AM

Maywood and Telford are basically sister towers. Silver and Metroplace as well. The four are by the same developer and architect so it's nice to see some consistency to the Metrotown skyline.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Conceptual Master Plan for Buchanan West (White Spot, Staples, Cactus Club) west of Brentwood. They envision 12 towers.

https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....cumentId=63865
From Daily Hive:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/buch...opment-burnaby

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:39 AM

Those are some tiny lots. Most upcoming Gilmore Place towers will have next to zero views towards north when it's all going to be built.

Also shame about another intersection getting added on Lougheed forcing more car idle through Brentwood.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:36 PM

1.5 million sf of commercial is great to see. Something to quell the vertical suburbia

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
I don't believe these have been posted before.
(probably just the proposal and rezoning applications but not any images)

A couple of new tower proposals for Olive Avenue in the Patterson area by Polygon with DYS Architecture as project designers.
Presented at the Public hearing last week, Tuesday:-

Olive North (Strata) and Olive Court (strata and rental lowrise) at 5869 Olive Ave., and 5900 Olive Ave., respectively
(yes, not very imaginative names):-
The projects are now named Perla (5900) and Onyx (5869) and just passed final adoption by Burnaby council this past Monday.

Prela

Onyx

Images from Dys Architecture

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
The projects are now named Perla (5900) and Onyx (5869) and just passed final adoption by Burnaby council this past Monday.

Prela
Images from Dys Architecture
The final adoption must have been for the second one.

The first one (I believe the northern tower) is currently in site-prep and getting ready for excavation soon.

They tore down the existing lowrise a couple of weeks ago and are clearing the site in preparation for the excavators to begin excavating the pit.

That little area is going to be pretty busy in the next little while with Bosa's Central Park House just a block over to the east now in full swing of construction and above grade at the podium level, and the crane for Anthem's Nuvo a little to the south just north of Central boulevard and the skytrain line having just been erected.

And in between the two of them there's yet another tower that was approved sometime last year (with the infamous "poor door" separate entrance for the rentals) but I doubt they will be going into construction anytime soon while Nuvo's pit is still being constructed.

There's also the rental tower on Kathleen avenue and Willingdon that's also had its crane up for a while now and should be above grade now.

So you could be looking at anywhere between 4-6 towers under construction in that Patterson area within the next couple of years.

And that's not even counting what's going to go on the Esso site at Willingdon and Kingsway with the Gensler tower (formerly by Bosa but sold to Keltic Developments who are still looking to construct two towers there with Gensler's original proposal)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
The final adoption must have been for the second one.
It was both individually. https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....cumentId=64071 on page 5

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It was both individually. https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....cumentId=64071 on page 5
Ah,...I see.

It makes sense that they applied for both at the same time since it seems like they (Polygon) will be doing some density transfer from one site to the other to balance them out - even though it seems like they're not building them concurrently, with the Perla Tower (the one with a 6 storey non-market/rental lowrise and on the southern lot - formerly "Olive Court") being built first and is the one on whose site the existing walkup has already been demolished.

https://storeys.com/burnaby-polygon-...-olive-avenue/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 6:44 AM

Just noticed in Giallo's Concord Brentwood pic, you can see the half cleared sites for Grosvenor Brentwood and South Yards by Anthem:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fd78eab7_h.jpg

Grosvenor Brentwood

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2022/03/0...lude-6-towers/

South Yards by Anthem

https://nitvancouver.com/portfolio_c.../multi-family/

Last edited by officedweller; Feb 15, 2023 at 6:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Brentwood West will have four towers ranging from 39 to 64 floors. Perfect height for the center part of Brentwood and I love how close to each other these towers will be compared to everything else in the area being so sparsely spaced.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...t-plan-5113994

Rezoning has been submitted for the two towers along Halifax under REZ #22-38.
https://www.burnaby.ca/sites/default...t-Projects.pdf

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 4:25 AM

RIVERA

6857-6875 Royal Oak Ave. Some sort of social housing, but I can't find the renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley