HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

looks very much like the Galleria, or Citi Plaza, or whatever the wasteland of a downtown mall we have in London is currently called. So depressing.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
looks very much like the Galleria, or Citi Plaza, or whatever the wasteland of a downtown mall we have in London is currently called. So depressing.
Probably a shared "vision" of what Eatons Centres should look like. Perhaps even the same architects designed them all.

I remember the Hamilton version as having some interesting stores, when new. The third floor never got populated, to my recollection, but the lower two were at least somewhat busy. It did not last long.

When Eatons when under, the department store area got converted to city offices, and floor 3 of the redubbed City Centre became home to other municipal and community office uses. The chain stores pulled out (Eddie Bauer, Le Chateau, and the like) and were largely replaced by discounters and cheap independent retail.

It's a shame this central galleria space can't be used as the core of the condo development, because I think it's stunning despite the early '90s aesthetic. But those new towers will be connected by outdoor pedestrian commercial walkways, so hopefully that works as a lively space.

Having a few thousand more people living in the downtown area will be most welcome. Other businesses will be able to take advantage, and new ones may pop up to serve the demand.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 8:50 PM
Mooderator

Over Christmas season, I actually heard a radio spot on an Ottawa radio station for my local Aylmer mall.

I imagine it was akin to a poker player going 'all in', because I never heard it again.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 10:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Mall ads used to be ubiquitous on the radio, especially for the second rate, regional malls.

Cavendish Mall
ads haunted me as a child on the radio station tuned in by my parents (back in the 1970s, that would have been CJAD 800 Montreal).

Come on to Cavendish!....Cavendish!

I never went there until I was much older. By then the mall was shitty. I heard since that part of it has been demolished.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 3:12 AM

Queen's Quay Terminal. First time I've been in about 20 years. Went to get lunch at Farm Boy and walk around. This was Dec. 19th. Not actually a mall. Just ground floor retail. And it's not dead per se, just kind of feels that way. Of course, I'm sure it would be a lot better in the summer given its Harbourfront location but I get the feeling that even then it can't be what it used to be when my dad would take us there when I was a teenager.

Can anyone comment as to whether the water fountain actually functions? I can't say if it was down at that time because they were waiting for parts or if they just said it's not worth the cost running anymore, which just makes it look more dead.

Retail level wasn't really vacant other than the gym that recently packed up but this was lunch time and hardly anyone walking around. Of course, it was Dec. 19th so not exactly peak time of the year for visitors or the office workers. Also, hard to judge this now vs. pre covid times.

green shot

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 3:34 AM

Did anyone mention that Citi Plaza in London is basically a roller rink now?

Video:
https://www.tiktok.com/@rxlling.stxn...72829222766085

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...rink-1.6686796

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 2:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^one step up from Seniors' Mall Walkers' haven.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 2:51 PM

Has the New Horizon Mall, just north of Calgary had any luck in attracting tenants in the last 18 months? It was dead before the pandemic. I can't imagine much has changed?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
This place turns into a ghost town as soon as the warm weather leaves with the tourists. In the summer months it's packed. I could see why this place has so many empty storefronts now. I can only imagine rent is insane here. Not many businesses can survive that kind fluctuation. When I was a kid that place was 2/3's art galleries, the rest shops and restaurants. It's a really nice building it just needs somebody to rethink it's purpose.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is pretty off the beaten path for locals. God it gets cold out by the Lake in the Winter.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 6:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Has the New Horizon Mall, just north of Calgary had any luck in attracting tenants in the last 18 months? It was dead before the pandemic. I can't imagine much has changed?
Looking at their map half the cubicles err... stores still look empty.

https://newhorizonmall.com/interactive-map/#/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Looking at their map half the cubicles err... stores still look empty.

https://newhorizonmall.com/interactive-map/#/
There's a flex massage business opening soon. Massage places might attract lots of customers.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

A sure sign the mall is going downhill. Northern Reflections. Beloved by every dead mall in London, Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Probably a shared "vision" of what Eatons Centres should look like. Perhaps even the same architects designed them all.
It is truly staggering how much money went into downtown malls in this country from roughly 1975-1990. And most of them were thriving places for no more than a decade, if at all.

Which downtown malls actually lived up to the hype? Eaton Centre? Maybe Pacific Centre? Any others?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:59 PM

I read recently that Bizou, another staple of dead malls, went bankrupt.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is truly staggering how much money went into downtown malls in this country from roughly 1975-1990. And most of them were thriving places for no more than a decade, if at all.

Which downtown malls actually lived up to the hype? Eaton Centre? Maybe Pacific Centre? Any others?
Not technically an Eaton Centre, but anchored by Eatons, Rideau Centre in Ottawa is still doing reasonably well (but has been hurt by work from home). It is helped by direct access to an LRT station, close proximity to major tourist attractions, the office district and a large university.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:07 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

This one was torn down about 15 years ago and replaced with this: https://goo.gl/maps/Aos5RftqFXboFhm66

It had a long life. Built in the mid-1950s as a plaza that was later enclosed. Expanded in the early 1980s. Death 20 years later.

It's still the Centre, but at its centre is parking, parking, and more parking.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:35 PM

We should woo Wolf Meow to come across the border and open up in some of our empty urban inner city malls.

Their first location they converted an old box store into an interactive artist maze where local artists work on spaces. It looks like a lot of fun. Since then they've opened 5 more locations across the U.S.

It wouldn't work in large malls but in the smaller ones it could.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:39 PM

This is their latest location in Denver. I really need to visit one and probably on some psychedelics.
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada