HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Don't you think it was intentional to limit engagement? They want to push these things through and there are a lot of things in this that have been done in specific ways to limit that. This was all just a formality. They are going to do what they want anyway. I think this has all been decided already.
I'm confused by limited engagement?

It was posted all over social media, including the City of Regina's, covered in the media. There were public open house for it, no different than any project?

I don't see anything that the City purposely limited engagement? Sure everyone can have their opinion but if you don't speak up and engage, whose fault is that? the opportunity was provided!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post

It was posted all over social media, including the City of Regina's, covered in the media. There were public open house for it, no different than any project?

I don't see anything that the City purposely limited engagement? Sure everyone can have their opinion but if you don't speak up and engage, whose fault is that? the opportunity was provided!
Having less than a week of public consultations for a half billions dollar project is the definition of limited engagement, especially for a project of that size. The whole execution of this screams “doing the bare minimum.” Just look at the high school quality presentation of the data they collected. It is painfully obvious that this is being pushed through despite the dubious need for it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Having less than a week of public consultations for a half billions dollar project is the definition of limited engagement, especially for a project of that size. The whole execution of this screams “doing the bare minimum.” Just look at the high school quality presentation of the data they collected. It is painfully obvious that this is being pushed through despite the dubious need for it.
I wish you would just run for mayor or council the next election and learn how everything isn't so black and white. I don't think I've ever read a positive word from your screen tag. Its a negative on absolutely everything that is proposed, suggested, or done. AND of course you have a better idea of how its done or should be done without actually providing any fact or functional reality on how to achieve it.

The City has done more engagement than most cities do in terms of open houses. The open houses they have done are exactly what would be done, and more than a proposed private development. MY Comment was with such limited engagement from the community, thats pretty sad. IF this was such a hot button topic to the community as a whole you think people would have been out in en-masse. Instead you have the usual vocal minority taking digs with no solutions, no alternative, no anything.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:

Firstly you are assuming that all stakeholders are on social media. Many are not. Also, if you don't follow the city on social media, it would easy to miss.

The city handed it off to the Catalyst Committee. Standard consultations for the city are typically held in locations accessible by transit. Access to Mosaic stadium is more difficult if you are not driving.

Attending 4 sessions over 4 days if you wanted to give input on different projects is a time-challenge for many people.

The survey was very much "would you prefer it in this location or this location" without specific details on location. And linking the library and arena in a lot of questions suggests they were maybe worried about the public rejecting the downtown arena. The survey questions were very much designed for a specific response and yes, I'm aware the city often posts surveys that are a bit slanted toward what they want to do.

If you think this entire process was above board and the best it could be, then you haven't been paying attention. I'm sure the plan is to push all these projects forward, regardless of the public feedback.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 6:16 PM

Paul Duchene aka PDCityHall posted a full deep-dive on the catalyst survey that is worth reading.

https://queencityib.com/blog/2022/12...by-the-numbers

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I wish you would just run for mayor or council the next election and learn how everything isn't so black and white. I don't think I've ever read a positive word from your screen tag. Its a negative on absolutely everything that is proposed, suggested, or done. AND of course you have a better idea of how its done or should be done without actually providing any fact or functional reality on how to achieve it.

The City has done more engagement than most cities do in terms of open houses. The open houses they have done are exactly what would be done, and more than a proposed private development. MY Comment was with such limited engagement from the community, thats pretty sad. IF this was such a hot button topic to the community as a whole you think people would have been out in en-masse. Instead you have the usual vocal minority taking digs with no solutions, no alternative, no anything.
Predictable as usual, Sandy.

Quote:
If you think this entire process was above board and the best it could be, then you haven't been paying attention. I'm sure the plan is to push all these projects forward, regardless of the public feedback.
Stop being so negative! This place is only for approving everything our governments do. That’s how democracy is supposed to work, don’t you know?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Paul Duchene aka PDCityHall posted a full deep-dive on the catalyst survey that is worth reading.

https://queencityib.com/blog/2022/12...by-the-numbers
Paul Duchene is the hero we don’t deserve. I’m sure the people that should read his analysis won’t, sadly.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 4:12 AM

Catalyst Committee recommendations coming forward to Executive Committee and Council this week and next week.

http://reginask.iqm2.com/Citizens/Fi...97&Inline=True

Cannot wait for Comrades rhetoric to begin

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Catalyst Committee recommendations coming forward to Executive Committee and Council this week and next week.

http://reginask.iqm2.com/Citizens/Fi...97&Inline=True

Cannot wait for Comrades rhetoric to begin
Thanks for the link!

Some renderings that we haven’t seen before:

Lorne & Smith Street Area

Rose & Broad Street Area

Scarth Street Mall with added vehicular traffic

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Feb 25, 2023 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 11:59 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Rose and Broad is the right answer.

Vehicular traffic on Scarth street is an unbelievably dumb idea.
Wanna know one of the biggest parties pushing for it? The Globe Theatre. So please be sure to reach out to them and let them know how unbelievably misguided and stupid they are.

We need a full court push on preventing this absolute nonsense.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Wanna know one of the biggest parties pushing for it? The Globe Theatre. So please be sure to reach out to them and let them know how unbelievably misguided and stupid they are.

We need a full court press on this and holding the largest landlord accountable for the graffiti stricken walls and lack of reasonable upkeep to the exterior of anything other than a shiny glass tower…

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 3:33 AM

And we all know when they convert Scarth to a traffic street, there won't be trees there anymore.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
And we all know when they convert Scarth to a traffic street, there won't be trees there anymore.
We do?

I’m constantly amazed how a select group on this forum seem to know all the answers before the answers are even real…the insider track is impressive.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 10:10 PM

I like the brick shown in the Scarth render (and it would compliment the modern brick in the plaza), but I would like more trees added for sure.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post

Any business would want ample curb access for pickup and drop off to their location. Globe Theatre is the only downtown entertainment attraction so it would make sense that they might be wanting car access on Scarth to pass by their entrance.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 1:16 AM

Quote:
We do?

I’m constantly amazed how a select group on this forum seem to know all the answers before the answers are even real…the insider track is impressive.
Do I need to explain cynicism to you? It's skepticism about a particular plan. I would expect you'd understand the concept. There was a school of ancient Greek philosophers who were called the Cynics. It is not a new idea.

The building that replaced the old Coronet Theatre on Albert Street was supposed to have trees in front, parallel to the road. Last I looked, there were no trees. This city does not have a great history of keeping trees in the downtown core or enforcing greening after projects are greenlit. I believe there were supposed to be trees in front of the Mosaic Tower as well.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Do I need to explain cynicism to you? It's skepticism about a particular plan. I would expect you'd understand the concept. There was a school of ancient Greek philosophers who were called the Cynics. It is not a new idea.

The building that replaced the old Coronet Theatre on Albert Street was supposed to have trees in front, parallel to the road. Last I looked, there were no trees. This city does not have a great history of keeping trees in the downtown core or enforcing greening after projects are greenlit. I believe there were supposed to be trees in front of the Mosaic Tower as well.
Yeah the old Coronet spot is definitely a disappointment especially since I also believe a restaurant or more patio space was also supposed to be on the main level hence the extended sidewalk width. The random corner entrance with the one raised step is also odd.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 1:36 PM
arf

I forward a motion that we bulldoze any building older than 40 years in the core or that has any sense of human scale and is actually currently used.

Our council is asinine.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I think Newstart needs a lot of things explained to them. Them and others on here seem to think we should fall in line with what local politicians want to ram down our throats and not hold them accountable for their past failures to meet expectations and promises. The ironic thing is I am willing to bet they wouldn't apply this type of thinking to all levels of government and if it was Trudeau, for example, doing these things, there would be strong push back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan