HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/ZdWjRUHhcMK7QUX3A

Agreed. It's got clean, wide sidewalks, a nice tree canopy and other nice landscaping, bike lane, grocery story, bank, gym (although I'm guessing most of these new buildings have their own really nice fitness center), and a small pocket park, all within a block basically. All your basic amenities to a self-sufficient neighborhood block. Everything you need and nothing you don't. If I had to nit pick the only room for improvement would be turning that left parking row and merging it with the bike lane and turning it into a wider, and protected, bike lane. And a bigger park with a playground. I know Grand Hope Park isn't too far away but as this area densifies I think it could use more public recreation options.
I swear I love this area of downtown. South Park really is becoming pretty nice overall, and has a great vibe.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I found this very interesting...

Video Link

Interesting but misinformed and completely based on wrong information which also brings into question the reason for the video. DTLA certainly doesn’t have just 35,000 resident. It also has that American bias that there needs a type of universal quota of skyscrapers to define a downtown.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
From time to time when I remember I check out the latest DTLA market report

The latest issuu is 2nd quarter 2022
https://downtownla.com/business/repo.../market-report

I hate Covid because it screwed up at least 2 trips/visits to my brother and his family when he was still in LA County (Monrovia).
I've been to LA twice and love it! I was lucky that I went on the OUE Skyspace and Glass slide that was on the top of the US Bank tower before it closed when new owners took over. The outdoor patio was amazing above the city! One of the coolest experiences ever. I could see the Hollywood sign, Griffith observatory, Dodger stadium. My LA dream come true lol
LA is really going full-force with the hotels. But 4.6K units of 32k proposed residential kind of highlights the actuality of the percentage of likely proposals that are viable from endless proposals that will just never happen. (We’ve already been at least a decade well into the LA construction boom).

Last edited by ocman; Sep 11, 2022 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 10:28 PM

Yeah alot of info in that video is just downright wrong which completely skews his population density points. Doesn't DTLA have closer to 85,000+ resident? It wont be long before it cracks 100k.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
LA is really going full-force with the hotels. But 4.6K units of 32k proposed residential kind of highlights the actuality of the percentage of likely proposals that are viable from endless proposals that will just never happen. (We’ve already been at least a decade well into the LA construction boom).
Maybe, but I think that the zoning changes from DTLA2040 will make building profitable buildings in DTLA much easier. I fully expect to see another "boom" once that is in place and that will be a much larger boom as smaller buildings, office buildings, and buildings with little parking become much easier to build by right.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
It also has that American bias that there needs a type of universal quota of skyscrapers to define a downtown.
London & paris don't have a fraction of the highrises, much less super talls, of nyc, but I think they're way more nice looking or livable towns to call home. If I had to relocate to any one of those cities, I'd look forward to moving to the UK's capital, less so to France's one (because of the language barrier), with nyc being a distant third.

I realize this website is aimed at fans of skyscrapers....after all, it is skyscraperpage.com....but as each day goes by, a town like nyc or chicago...or cities like hong kong or certainly riydah....seem less & less impressive to me. I still don't mind highrises being added to dtla, but creating nice looking bldgs in general is what's more important.

Video Link

speaking of a city like london, this ad on the side of the fig hotel sort of has a londonish theme & may be one of the nicest ever painted on that bldg...

https://youtu.be/5TklFZ22PfU?t=958

I recall when the elleven apt bldg was first added to the southern part of dtla....I used to work around there yrs ago....& that section of dtla back then was really not ready for prime time. Things like this are why dt today in certain ways is better in 2022 than it has ever been in the city's history. I've seen old pics of the southern half of dt from the early 1900s & it was mainly gritty lowrise industrial & anything but scenic. Similar changes...sometimes called gentrification....are occurring in many cities throughout the US & world....

https://youtu.be/LGPbdrNWeGw?t=18

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 11:35 PM

Video Link

^ As I looked at that video, the fact this proj apparently has been cancelled can be sort of rubbed in for over an hour..... the nimbys who opposed it several yrs ago deserve a round of applause...& a paper bag of dog poop left burning at their front door.

downtownla.com

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 12:02 AM

520 Mateo is the beginning of the new Arts District, great to see the cranes up.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:25 AM

^ Definitely. Can’t wait to see more skyscrapers in the Arts District.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 7:03 PM

These 2 recent vids give a good sidewalk side view of the area around 8th & Fig, including the 2 new apt bldgs...the Beaudry from Brookfield & the tower designed by johnson Fain (I don't think the Mitsui proj has been named yet) nearing completion around there....

https://youtu.be/Qk7ybuX_oWQ?t=15

https://youtu.be/e2Nsb9W5w_M

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 7:28 PM
你的媽媽

Looks nice.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 10:33 PM

Speaking of Adidas... here is the signage on the 8th/Broadway Merritt Building ground floor

And since their North American Headquarters are moving into the California Market Center, the signage is up all over the place. Brookfield really did it with this upgrade. Walking the plaza feels very similar to walking the plaza at their super tall Brookfield Place in New York next to Hudson Yards. The materials and spacing of the ground floor lobbies and courtyards bring this up to Class A office space

Is Adidas also putting a store in the base of the California Market Center??? Between Broadway and CMC, Is one a clothing store and one a shoe store? That's 2 ground floor signages within 1 block of each other. I imagine Broadway is a shoe store and CMC is clothing since its in the fashion district in a fashion targeted building. We will see. When looking up the meaning of the different logos I found this... "The trefoil (leaf) logo is for Adidas Originals products and the mountain logo is used on tech or sports-focused products." Broadway only has the leaf logo, CMC has both the leaf and mountain logos

Brookfield bringing in more NYC with this transplant food hall coming soon

Very high quality courtyard and lobby areas

The refresh to the building at 8th and Spring just behind the Apple Store is coming along nicely with residential units having installed their interiors

And just because I love them, the Frankentowers (Sen+ral) still stand beautifully. Holland Partners has been doing high quality work. They also did the Apex II/Concerto/Alina tower expansion and it also is high quality. They've since sold all 3 towers and moved on to other projects

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 13, 2022 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 10:54 PM
你的媽媽

^ Thanks for the update! Those look like some high quality retail and dining attractions that should help further activate DTLA.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Speaking of Adidas... here is the signage on the 8th/Broadway Merritt Building ground floor

And since their North American Headquarters are moving into the California Market Center, the signage is up all over the place.
Great update! Though I don't think Adidas is moving their North American HQ to CMC. That's still in Oregon. They did however merge their lifestyle and performance units within basketball and moved those consolidated operations to LA (presumably to this new office).

https://sgbonline.com/adidas-sets-ma...n-los-angeles/

Great for DTLA in general.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 11:44 PM

Great update!
I’ve been trying to find information on the renovation tower behind the Apple Store. That building is going to be a great addition for those who love that style of condo/lofts to live. And also the street activity will continue to increase. Though that section is already pretty busy anyway after maybe 10 or 11am.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:54 AM

Great update hughfb3!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:54 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

hughfb3, thank you for the photos and information on the ongoing renovations downtown!

It's very encouraging that, at a time when businesses are retrenching on office leases and national retailers are closing downtown stores (like in San Francisco), downtown LA continues to see new leases and stores opening.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
hughfb3, thank you for the photos and information on the ongoing renovations downtown!

It's very encouraging that, at a time when businesses are retrenching on office leases and national retailers are closing downtown stores (like in San Francisco), downtown LA continues to see new leases and stores opening.
That is so true…SF and NYC are seeing a decline. I was just up in SF and I was really surprised the retailers that have closed and not being replaced. At least as of now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post

[/img]
Nice. Just for fun, here’s what it looked like before. BTW, I hope they waterblast the grimy sidewalks before opening.

And here’s what it looked like in 1916.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:48 AM

double post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations