HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I have to admit that initially I wasn't a fan. It looks very stumpy to me. The last few floors have done wonders to change that view.

I'm actually very happy that they didn't build the two phases together. I think if we can turn this economy around, we will continue to see people flee cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago for Arizona. So we could see strong demand continue which means we might get a taller, unique development in the future where phase 2 was slated to be built. So i am actually hoping it is more like 3 years out and we end up with something taller and with a different look and feel so it doesn't seem like a superblock.

It kinda reminds me of a condo tower in Downtown Las Vegas next to the El Cortez. I think the Vegas shooter stayed there or something at one point.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 8:34 PM

Continued Growth Despite Pandemic

The mayor of PHX claims 18 cranes ‘in the downtown area’ - yet we count only what - 8?

Quote:

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego told KTAR News 92.3 FM on Friday that out of the top 10 construction markets, Phoenix is the only market where construction expenditures increased during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“These are big investments in the advanced economy and it really is an exciting time for Phoenix,” Gallego said.

She noted there are currently 18 construction cranes in the downtown area. The construction projects include both residential, commercial and office space.

Gallego said this growth is expected to continue, even after the pandemic subsides.
https://ktar.com/story/3548549/phoen...irus-pandemic/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
The mayor of PHX claims 18 cranes ‘in the downtown area’ - yet we count only what - 8?

Unless she counting midtown also

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:20 AM

Quote:

Who is "we"?

1) Adeline
2) Hyatt Place
3) X Phoenix
4) X Phoenix
5) ASU Dorms
6) Link 2
7) Aspire
8) Apartments next to Aspire
9) Portrait 2
10) Derby

That's just off the top of my head and I'm missing a few. Also the crane is either still up or just taken down at the biomedical building, Central Park East, Arizona Center. It's not not she's sitting there keeping a daily count of cranes. I'm sure it's closer to 18 than to 8.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Who is "we"?

1) Adeline
2) Hyatt Place
3) X Phoenix
4) X Phoenix
5) ASU Dorms
6) Link 2
7) Aspire
9) Portrait 2
10) Derby

That's just off the top of my head and I'm missing a few. Also the crane is either still up or just taken down at the biomedical building, Central Park East, Arizona Center. It's not not she's sitting there keeping a daily count of cranes. I'm sure it's closer to 18 than to 8.
I don't recall there ever being 18 cranes in downtown this cycle at the same time yet. Even with midtown its not quite there yet. Was mainly wondering if she knows of some pending projects or was just mis-informed. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
I don't recall there ever being 18 cranes in downtown this cycle at the same time yet. Even with midtown its not quite there yet. Was mainly wondering if she knows of some pending projects or was just mis-informed. I'm leaning towards the latter.
I guarantee you that her passion for daily crane counts is not nearly is strong as yours. Likely the number is from a few weeks ago when there were probably 18. If you count midtown there are at least 15 right now.

I think you guys read too much into this stuff. Nothing major will start until the economy is back on solid footing, I assure you that. Relax.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:31 PM
self-important urbanista

I doubt the mayor is personally counting cranes. Chances are this number came from city staff, and it would be interesting to know how it was arrived at. As suggested, one explanation could be a blurring of the distinction between Downtown and Midtown.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:

I think you guys read too much into this stuff. ....Relax.
I agree.

I haven't had to go downtown much lately but I was doing my rounds in garfield and noticed once again it looks like a different neighborhood. Love the changes and improvements happening there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I agree.

I haven't had to go downtown much lately but I was doing my rounds in garfield and noticed once again it looks like a different neighborhood. Love the changes and improvements happening there.
I was as big a cheerleader as everyone else, but it's just not realistic anymore to think new big projects are going to get off the ground at the moment. Having said that, I agree that we should celebrate the great progress and the many many projects that have just started or are finishing up.

In the end, this might be a blessing in disguise. These things can end very badly (ie 2008), so far we haven't seen that. It's better for a market to cool that to fall off the cliff and take decades to recover. I think this is actually healthy.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:58 PM

Im not so sure about no new projects, the Apartment and Housing Demand in Phoenix has not slowed at all and AZ is doing better than most states economically, a massive change from 2008 when Arizona was one of the worst hit.

Office construction was already lacking so dont expect to see any new office projects but anything thats primarily driven by Apartments or Condos I would not write off as impossible.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 10:26 PM

Wells Fargo to permanently shutter most of its museums, including Phoenix

WF Museum closing down in DT Phoenix. I doubt the bank chooses to re-configure this space for office use and I believe this space is leased so I wonder if possibility for this ground floor space to not be renewed and be put to good use such as retail? Prime corner space, especially w/ the Hyatt Place going up right next door.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...g-phoenix.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 11:23 PM

Central City Village Planning Committee will be looking at some projects we're following next Monday if anyone wants to attend virtually:
  • Reviewing the 15' height increase to accommodate Astra, as well as a request to change the layout of the pedestrian paseo
  • Looking at rezoning application for Garfield House to increase maximum lot coverage and maximum density
  • Presentation from Valley Metro on the I-10 light rail extension

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit.../200914003.pdf

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Who is "we"?

1) Adeline
2) Hyatt Place
3) X Phoenix
4) X Phoenix
5) ASU Dorms
6) Link 2
7) Aspire
9) Portrait 2
10) Derby

You’re also forgetting The Filmore, Broadstone Roosevelt 2 and The Battery. That Econ one by Pita Jungle should be coming soon too. If you count some of the ones that have came down recently, it’s pretty darn close to 18. Either way, there are a ton, more than Downtown has ever seen and you don’t have to include midtown for that!

Last edited by TJPHXskyscraperfan; Sep 9, 2020 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:11 AM

I’ve mentioned this before but this is all reason to update Google Earth already with all the cranes! I was just google Earthing Tucson and they just got an update like Tempe did too! Wow, Tucson is doing pretty darn good. They have like 7 mid to high rise apartments next to U of A each with a roof top pool, too bad these are all student housing. But downtown Tucson doesn’t look too bad either.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:27 PM

I drove by Knipe Village yesterday and it was empty. At least from my perspective, I couldn’t see any construction equipment that’s been on site for at least a month. Anyone know what’s going on?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Central City Village Planning Committee will be looking at some projects we're following next Monday if anyone wants to attend virtually:
  • Reviewing the 15' height increase to accommodate Astra, as well as a request to change the layout of the pedestrian paseo
  • Looking at rezoning application for Garfield House to increase maximum lot coverage and maximum density
  • Presentation from Valley Metro on the I-10 light rail extension

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit.../200914003.pdf
Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I drove by Knipe Village yesterday and it was empty. At least from my perspective, I couldn’t see any construction equipment that’s been on site for at least a month. Anyone know what’s going on?
As long as there is money to be made developers will still do their thing. You are in a city of five million people that's growing faster than any other city and a well-cited article just told us construction dollars are continuing to flow into the city.

Some times I get the impression the mood here is either blind optimisim/excitement or impatient pressing of the panic button, never really a calm and level analysis of things.

If I were Vento I would be re-assessing my plans for Knipe as I wouldn't feel comfortable building office space in any significant manner.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:19 PM

I'm relieved to see that progress is still being made on Astra, this looks like Aspirant really wants this thing to go up. Would the city actually increase the building height limit on that lot just for this project or is the airport to sacred for them. Interesting to see what happens!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
As long as there is money to be made developers will still do their thing. You are in a city of five million people that's growing faster than any other city and a well-cited article just told us construction dollars are continuing to flow into the city.

Some times I get the impression the mood here is either blind optimisim/excitement or impatient pressing of the panic button, never really a calm and level analysis of things.

If I were Vento I would be re-assessing my plans for Knipe as I wouldn't feel comfortable building office space in any significant manner.
He probably should’ve stuck with the affordable housing aspect that the initial RFP intended for the property.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
I'm relieved to see that progress is still being made on Astra, this looks like Aspirant really wants this thing to go up. Would the city actually increase the building height limit on that lot just for this project or is the airport to sacred for them. Interesting to see what happens!
It is my understanding that the FAA has already signed off on Astra that the upcoming meeting is a formality

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest