HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:03 AM

The old canals used to be widely used for swimming and were lined with beautiful huge lush trees. But people thought the trees drank too much of our water so they cut them all down.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
This is going to be a long slow transition but I hope it really takes off, You see it a little with waterfront in Scottsdale, the Papago Grande beginning to play with he idea of using the canals.

Maybe in many decades when im old and grey there will be widespread use of the canals that would be great! It just leaves me wondering why there was no interest in the canals before, why no creativity? Its not like facing the canals are a "new idea" didn't the San Antonia river walk start like in the 70's?

The canals used to be tree lined back in the day and SRP removed most of them because of utility right of way and other development. They made them easy for trucks and utility workers for canal and power access. Plus, they probably saved on tree maintenance and such. Here's a pic I found from 1909. Glad to hear of this proposal. A great asset for the city.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:07 PM

The renderings of the new proposal for Jefferson Place look top-notch! Although I agree it should have been extended to 1st street, I facking love this nevertheless.

http://kjzz.org/sites/default/files/...n%206.1.16.pdf

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post

The canals used to be tree lined back in the day and SRP removed most of them because of utility right of way and other development. They made them easy for trucks and utility workers for canal and power access. Plus, they probably saved on tree maintenance and such. Here's a pic I found from 1909. Glad to hear of this proposal. A great asset for the city.
Why was the 20th century so awful for urban design

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
The renderings of the new proposal for Jefferson Place look top-notch! Although I agree it should have been extended to 1st street, I facking love this nevertheless.

All of the projects in that pdf are nice looking but I actually like the Crescent Bay Holdings proposal best from an aesthetic standpoint.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Here's the presentation at a Phoenix City Council subcommittee meeting yesterday:

https://youtu.be/ImNcX0235mA?t=54m

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
All of the projects in that pdf are nice looking but I actually like the Crescent Bay Holdings proposal best from an aesthetic standpoint.
I also think this is the Crescent Bay Holdings proposal, at least, that was what is alluded to in the video post above. It's an upgrade, in my opinion. Aside from the usual details we look for like retail and parking access, I do appreciate the nod in recreating the original look of the Barrister Building down to the windows and those small balls atop the building's rooftop.

Last edited by Phxguy; Jun 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:26 PM

I guess I am confused, there are clearly two different projects in that pdf, one is the same height as the Barrister building and the other is about twice the height, I prefer the shorter one for its detail.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:49 PM

Yeah both projects flank either side of the Barrister Building with new structures. The first one, the one you like, was the original proposal, and the one with the 15 story building is the new renderings by the same company.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 7:03 PM

I like the new. Is that one a go or is this just a proposal?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 11:17 PM

Phoenix lands international corporate HQ from Switzerland

Pretty good get for Phoenix. It sucks that they will be located in the Camelback corridor vs downtown but I'll take it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...porate-hq.html

Another article but behind the paywall. It's interesting to note that the Phoenix area is being recognized as a cybersecurity hub.

EXCLUSIVE: How Phoenix's burgeoning cybersecurity cluster (and a bank) helped snag Swiss HQ move

Quote:
The Valley as a cybersecurity hub is a quiet rumbling under the technology radar. Ori Eisen, CEO of cybersecurity company Trusona said the region has a fledgling cybersecurity technology cluster beginning to make international waves. The waves are big enough to be seen by SelectUSA, the federal equivalent of Greater Phoenix Economic Council and Arizona Commerce Authority. That organization told GPEC President and CEO, Chris Camacho, Phoenix could have a play in competing to bring publicly traded Kudelski Group (SIX:KUD.S) to North America.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I like the new. Is that one a go or is this just a proposal?
I like the taller version better. The giant blocks in this area need height, not stubby little buildings. Looks like this is 16 stories? What is the Palomar? I'd love to see an even taller residentials go up on the remaining parcels around it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Talk about a massive change:

Razing the roof: Metrocenter's renovation plan approved

The roof is coming off Metrocenter.

Carlisle Development Group walked out of this week's Phoenix City Council meeting with unanimous approval of its proposed multiple use planned unit development for the aging Metrocenter property.

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said it’s the first time in his memory of city council actions that a PUD of this size was approved by every member of the council.

The venerable enclosed mall, once a Valley showcase, now recovering from harder times, is poised to reinvent the idea of a urban center for west Phoenix.

There will no longer be a much of a Metrocenter Mall, though. Carlisle is planning on opening up the project into a urban center complete with a street grid and walkable space to move between retail, office, medical and residential developments.

Walmart’s new story anchors the south end of the property and Dillard's remains anchored on the northeast side of what was once the enclosed mall.

The new design integrates office, shopping, and a major medical clinic. A new cinema complex is planned on the west side of the loop road, across from the residential center.

Metrocenter Mall also integrates a pedestrian pathway from the light rail station on the east side of the mall into the center of the district.

Walmart’s groundbreaking is anticipated during the current year, but Carlisle officials cannot comment on the project, and Walmart has declined to disclose a start date.

Eric covers economic development, banking and finance, infrastructure, transportation and utilities.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 12:00 AM

Does that say "Dunlop"??

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Does that say "Dunlop"??
ROFL, poor ol' Mayor John Dunlap is turning in his grave.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
Talk about a massive change:

Put all the density opposite the mass transportation. how does shit like this occur.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:20 AM

/\ Maybe they want people to have to walk through shops and restaurants, and assume people would not want to live right next to the freeway.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:26 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ Maybe they want people to have to walk through shops and restaurants, and assume people would not want to live right next to the freeway.
It also allows the parking lot to serve light rail commuters who drive to the station. Still, I'd like to see the surface parking eventually converted to garages.

Edit: Never mind. After zooming in on the drawing, I see a separate light rail park-and-ride.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:59 AM

and isn't Castle and Coasters a major part of the SE section not showing buildings?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 10:56 AM

Speaking of malls, I went to Fiesta Mall this week and it was the saddest sight I've ever seen. The mall is just a shell of it's former self as most of the stores are no more and it's just a huge empty place. It's just like what happened to Tri City. It's a damn shame that the mall doesn't have very much time left. Even the Bank of America logo has been removed from the tower across the street which I assume is because they vacated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest