HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #20361  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 5:51 PM
az_daniel az_daniel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Central Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 94
The Camelback Esplanade will be getting a new amenity building filled with some pretty cool stuff as part of a $45 million renovation. Scheduled for 1Q 2023 groundbreaking, per PBJ. This investment comes as the Esplanade is now 90% leased. A great sign for office space on the Camelback corridor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20362  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 8:58 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,151
Cool...so they want chip workers to spend the time to go downtown on lightrail and then take a bus north to their plant...lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20363  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 9:43 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is online now
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Cool...so they want chip workers to spend the time to go downtown on lightrail and then take a bus north to their plant...lol
The article is pretty vauge, but I don't think the intention is to have workers go Downtown. Instead, I think the suggestion is to have an express bus between MetroCenter and the chip plant. That could provide a connection to light rail for chip workers reverse commuting from Downtown. It would also provide an option for workers who live in a redeveloped MetroCenter district. I don't know if either scenario is viable, but I don't think anyone is expected to pass through Downtown who doesn't already live there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20364  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 9:48 PM
MiEncanto MiEncanto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The article is pretty vauge, but I don't think the intention is to have workers go Downtown. Instead, I think the suggestion is to have an express bus between MetroCenter and the chip plant. That could provide a connection to light rail for chip workers reverse commuting from Downtown. It would also provide an option for workers who live in a redeveloped MetroCenter district. I don't know if either scenario is viable, but I don't think anyone is expected to pass through Downtown who doesn't already live there.
None of this makes any sense. I still have a hard time seeing this project pencil out, especially in this debt market. I know I'm pretty cynical about being on the receiving end of the LR line... but I just don't see this area magically becoming interesting enough to capture the rents these developers expect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20365  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 9:53 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The article is pretty vauge, but I don't think the intention is to have workers go Downtown. Instead, I think the suggestion is to have an express bus between MetroCenter and the chip plant. That could provide a connection to light rail for chip workers reverse commuting from Downtown. It would also provide an option for workers who live in a redeveloped MetroCenter district. I don't know if either scenario is viable, but I don't think anyone is expected to pass through Downtown who doesn't already live there.
I think the angle is that chip workers will live in the Metrocenter development that will have rapid transit to the TSMC factory and connect to the light rail network.

Mostly hot air for marketing purposes as we know 99% of TSMC's workforce will drive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20366  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 10:55 PM
DesertRay DesertRay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think the angle is that chip workers will live in the Metrocenter development that will have rapid transit to the TSMC factory and connect to the light rail network.

Mostly hot air for marketing purposes as we know 99% of TSMC's workforce will drive.
I'm assuming that the bus will connect the folks working at the HQ next to Metrocenter with the factory up north.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20367  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:56 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,151
Weather Cams

Not sure how long these have been around, but I have not seen these before. AZ Family has a slew of weather cams and a few are good views of downtown, especially the Phoenix Children's cam.

They do not appear to be live, but I'm sure they update periodically. If you right-click and selct open image in new tab, you get a much larger image than the popup.

Enjoy

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/cams/
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20368  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:15 PM
az_daniel az_daniel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Central Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 94
Mayo Clinic's west expansion ribbon cutting is tomorrow
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20369  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:18 PM
az_daniel az_daniel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Central Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Not sure how long these have been around, but I have not seen these before. AZ Family has a slew of weather cams and a few are good views of downtown, especially the Phoenix Children's cam.

They do not appear to be live, but I'm sure they update periodically. If you right-click and selct open image in new tab, you get a much larger image than the popup.

Enjoy

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/cams/
Also, windy.com has a slew of webcams all over the place, including these weather cams, ADEQ cams, all the ADOT cams which can sometimes give you great views of buildings being built, and many others. https://www.windy.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20370  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:59 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,151
509 W. Monroe Tower

Another mixed-use proposal at 509 W. Monroe (SE corner of 6th Ave and Monroe).

This one is interesting as this is proposed in western downtown. The Height is a little disapointing at 24 floors (about 250'ish feet). But the fact that this is proposed so close to 7th Ave is probably a good indicator of tower development apporaching the western edges of downtown where height limits are in the 650' range.

Not much in the way of information other than 24 floors and BKL Architecture is involved. You can view the Fact Finding docs on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20371  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 12:22 AM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is offline
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Newark, California
Posts: 6,742
Same developer doing that T shaped stubby thing on Central and Fillmore.

The height is meh but I'll take anything this late in the cycle, especially in a crummy area of town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20372  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 10:02 PM
ChaseM ChaseM is offline
Chase M
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Another mixed-use proposal at 509 W. Monroe (SE corner of 6th Ave and Monroe).

This one is interesting as this is proposed in western downtown. The Height is a little disapointing at 24 floors (about 250'ish feet). But the fact that this is proposed so close to 7th Ave is probably a good indicator of tower development apporaching the western edges of downtown where height limits are in the 650' range.

Not much in the way of information other than 24 floors and BKL Architecture is involved. You can view the Fact Finding docs on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
Sorry if this has already been brought up but this building also looks to include a parking podium based on the site plan. Is there some city code that requires a certain amount of parking spaces for these projects? I'm glad that part of the city is getting something in that area but parking podiums are just such an eye sore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20373  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 11:13 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is online now
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
Sorry if this has already been brought up but this building also looks to include a parking podium based on the site plan. Is there some city code that requires a certain amount of parking spaces for these projects? I'm glad that part of the city is getting something in that area but parking podiums are just such an eye sore.
There are prescribed ratios of dwelling units to parking spaces, but the city has gotten better about letting developers build less parking in areas near the light rail corridor. That's only half the battle, though. The other issue is that lenders may see reduced parking as a risky investment. I continue to believe that the best solution is unbundled parking. Instead of providing a parking space with every apartment at no charge, have a separate price for parking. That will allow for better calibration of supply and demand. And, to anticpate how this position is often misunderstood, that doesn't mean "no parking." It means the amount of parking that tenants want badly enough that they're willing to pay market rates for it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20374  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:35 AM
Ttown5 Ttown5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There are prescribed ratios of dwelling units to parking spaces, but the city has gotten better about letting developers build less parking in areas near the light rail corridor. That's only half the battle, though. The other issue is that lenders may see reduced parking as a risky investment. I continue to believe that the best solution is unbundled parking. Instead of providing a parking space with every apartment at no charge, have a separate price for parking. That will allow for better calibration of supply and demand. And, to anticpate how this position is often misunderstood, that doesn't mean "no parking." It means the amount of parking that tenants want badly enough that they're willing to pay market rates for it.
I can't remember the last time I heard of an apartment going up that didnt have market rate parking and was included in the rent. Most if not all apartments that are in the downtown areas have paid parking, specifically if they are towers. In my last apartment in Tempe it was $125 a month for a spot. I can't tell you an apartment that any friends lived in that didnt have to pay for parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20375  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 11:56 AM
exit2lef exit2lef is online now
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttown5 View Post
I can't remember the last time I heard of an apartment going up that didnt have market rate parking and was included in the rent. Most if not all apartments that are in the downtown areas have paid parking, specifically if they are towers. In my last apartment in Tempe it was $125 a month for a spot. I can't tell you an apartment that any friends lived in that didnt have to pay for parking.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. Maybe we've made more progress than I thought.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20376  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:47 PM
az_daniel az_daniel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Central Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Another mixed-use proposal at 509 W. Monroe (SE corner of 6th Ave and Monroe).

This one is interesting as this is proposed in western downtown. The Height is a little disapointing at 24 floors (about 250'ish feet). But the fact that this is proposed so close to 7th Ave is probably a good indicator of tower development apporaching the western edges of downtown where height limits are in the 650' range.

Not much in the way of information other than 24 floors and BKL Architecture is involved. You can view the Fact Finding docs on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
What an absolutely fascinating location for a highrise, lol. I guess the Van Buren corridor to Grand could really get hot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20377  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 9:07 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,021
Ive been thinking that those blocks between Washington and Van Buren along 7 are ripe for development. Get the fox studio out of there and replaced, get rid of that shitty motel and crackhead McDonalds, the black warehouse, Phoenix PD is supposedly remodeling their HQ at some point. there are even some cool old buildings that would make great restaurants/shops if revitalized.

I would also really like if that whole 5 way with Grand coming in would get redeveloped with some cool mixed use that embrace the triangular lots
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20378  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 9:33 PM
ASU Diablo ASU Diablo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Ive been thinking that those blocks between Washington and Van Buren along 7 are ripe for development. Get the fox studio out of there and replaced, get rid of that shitty motel and crackhead McDonalds, the black warehouse, Phoenix PD is supposedly remodeling their HQ at some point. there are even some cool old buildings that would make great restaurants/shops if revitalized.

I would also really like if that whole 5 way with Grand coming in would get redeveloped with some cool mixed use that embrace the triangular lots
Phoenix PD is actually moving to the old WF tower so this may be another lot that opens up if the City decides to sell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20379  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 11:20 PM
az_daniel az_daniel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Central Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Ive been thinking that those blocks between Washington and Van Buren along 7 are ripe for development. Get the fox studio out of there and replaced, get rid of that shitty motel and crackhead McDonalds, the black warehouse, Phoenix PD is supposedly remodeling their HQ at some point. there are even some cool old buildings that would make great restaurants/shops if revitalized.

I would also really like if that whole 5 way with Grand coming in would get redeveloped with some cool mixed use that embrace the triangular lots
Agreed, the fabric is there for a really dynamic area complimented by some really great historic buildings that would create a nice transition between the downtown core and lower grand. The Adams street garage creates such a dead zone - hopefully these developments start to pull activity further west. Definitely can feel unsafe at times just because there is never anyone around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20380  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 12:11 AM
xymox xymox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
Agreed, the fabric is there for a really dynamic area complimented by some really great historic buildings that would create a nice transition between the downtown core and lower grand. The Adams street garage creates such a dead zone - hopefully these developments start to pull activity further west. Definitely can feel unsafe at times just because there is never anyone around.
It'd be nice to see 7th Ave activate all the way up to Roosevelt - Walter Studios just opened up there and has been having some nice late night shows on the weekend. Unfortunately there's NOTHING nearby that isn't a 15 min walk away...
__________________
mmmm skyscraper, I love you....
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.