HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 2:20 AM

All ya gotta do is ask...
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
I am waiting for months for an update but like I said a long time ago... all those people who did those updates a couple years ago are gone.
Can't wait to move back to L.A. and post those updates myself. I might ask Brookfield for some updates.

Even checked for drone footage (for that tower) on YouTube but without success. Somehow depressing, I know..
There are 31 repetitive floors above the podium completed or forming and the core is another 3-4 floors up

Mitsui 8th & Fig Tower

Last edited by hughfb3; Dec 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 4:34 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great updates! So Brookfield is what, ~36-37 floors from the ground (counting floor plates, not the core), so 27-28 floors to go? That's pretty decent and this will get a LOT taller. Also great to see Mitsui Fudosan tower working on the standard tower floorplates. That should start shooting up. We really need another tower to break ground in the next 6 months or so, or we'll be in a lull, construction-wise.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:30 AM

^ thanks for the pics of the 2 apt towers going up near 8th & fig....the NE corner of that intersection...where the mitsui proj is....has long been one of the major gaps of dtla.....I think of all the yrs I'd go by there & think, why is this parking lot still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The majority of the people you are talking about are the very same people who, let’s just say, decided to sow seeds in the wrong places — specifically in the years 1968, 1974, and 1976.
it would have been hard to bet against them at the time since dt was in pretty poor shape...I still say if dtla had always been in better condition over 70 yrs ago, more like a bigger version of pasadena or santa monica, it wouldn't have gone dowhill so far. I've read complaints that dtla was going to seed as long ago as the early 1900s & certainly by the 1950s.

I watch these vids on fast forward & get a better sense of areas in dt that were parking lots or abandoned bldgs just within the past 5 yrs....like the old herald examiner bldg or the two old bldgs across the street from it that have been converted into hotels....the newer broadway palace apt bldgs were parking lots just a few yrs ago.

la live was another big gap of parking lots....now the parking lot south of the former holiday inn still needs to be filled in & the car wash south of the fig hotel could use some TLC. that entire block still has large open spaces....but look at how even today something like the oceanwide proj sits unfinished & getting rustier by the month....

the owner of the fig hotel who gets ad dollars from renting the south wall of their bldg probably doesn't want to see a highrise go up next to their property....but time for a change!

slowly but surely dtla is getting there.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Great updates! So Brookfield is what, ~36-37 floors from the ground (counting floor plates, not the core), so 27-28 floors to go? That's pretty decent and this will get a LOT taller. Also great to see Mitsui Fudosan tower working on the standard tower floorplates. That should start shooting up. We really need another tower to break ground in the next 6 months or so, or we'll be in a lull, construction-wise.
Brookfield will be a great addition. We're old enough to remember when buildings under construction hung numbers on the steel frame to show the floor count. Usually on every 10 floors. They don't always do that any more. Another custom dwindling. At least the tree and flag raising at top out seems safe. As far as a "lull", I think the pace will pick up as we approach the Olympics, unless the economy tanks or the pandemic drags on with endless variants. If we can get Times Mirror and Angels Flight and a few other built, I will be satisfied. The cutoff of Chinese financing has slowed things down, but counting on American homeboys, Canadians, Koreans and maybe Europeans to fill the funding gap. Absolutely no reason why L.A. can't have a Toronto-sized skyline eventually, given our population and importance.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 4:17 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Brookfield already looks better than the renderings (the jury’s still out on the podium though). I love black glass — much classier in appearance regardless of lighting and a nice departure from designs that tend to be more or less the same version of what’s being built elsewhere. Plus, this will add more bulk to the skyline, as the tower is set to be only 30 feet shorter than 777 Figueroa.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:36 PM

Nobody wants to talk about the 53 story tower proposed on top of the BLocs massive parking garage? something we all kinda wanted. 710 Ft tall. Kinda misleading though. It's actually 41 storys tall but they are including the garage floors to make it 53.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

https://urbanize.city/la/post/53-sto...parking-garage

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 8, 2021 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:10 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Nobody wants to talk about the 53 story tower proposed on top of the BLocs massive parking garage? something we all kinda wanted. 710 Ft tall. Kinda misleading though. It's actually 41 storys tall but they are including the garage floors to make it 53.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/53-sto...parking-garage
Terrible project. The tower itself is beautiful. But do it right, get rid of the parking fortress and build the actual tower in its place. There's literally a Metro station right there. Shave off that weird cake stand the tower is sitting on and extend the curtain wall down to the base level and create a nice open lobby.

If built as proposed, it does nothing to improve the pedestrian friendliness of the area. Hope from 7th to 8th is already terrible. Same with 8th from Flower to Hope, and Flower from 7th to 8th. Three out of four sides of this block is unacceptable.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:26 PM

I agree. That fortress should have never been built to begin with.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:37 PM
Ascension

Good design of the building and I do like that they are going to add signage to the Sheraton and office building. But it'll join 1100 Wilshire in the yuge building on top of a even yuger parking garage club.

Interesting how this tower has a vague resemblance to a skyscraper proposed for 8th and Fig maybe 15 years ago. I clearly remember there being a few sketches and renderings that looks a bit similar to this building. Hopefully someone remembers what I'm thinking about because I can't find the renderings of it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:52 PM

I'm no fan of the fortress but I think the reason they are doing it this way is because Macy's and other retail sit directly under the garage and would have to raze it all if they wanted to start from the ground. Also I think part of Alamo Drafthouse extends into the garage as well.

An improvement to what they propose here is to also redo the ground floor completely on the 3 blocks so at least it doesn't feel like a bunker when you're walking past it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 9:11 PM

The design overall is cool. It would be a great addition to the skyline. No need to raze the parking structure. There are other things that can be done to make the parking structure be more pleasing to the eye. Every street in DTLA does not to have great street level retail and amongst other things. NC, SF, etc. all have streets that some would say have no life. This tower if built would be an eye turner...and not in a bad way.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 9:23 PM

Nice update on the Brookfield Tower. It reminds me a lot of the Atlier apartments. As for The Bloc Tower, I’m not too sure how they’re going to support the tower for it. Looks like they went the same route 333 S Hope is going for, base-wise. Hope more towers like The Bloc and 333 Hope sprout up in Bunker Hill that occupy such a large base.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
The design overall is cool. It would be a great addition to the skyline. No need to raze the parking structure. There are other things that can be done to make the parking structure be more pleasing to the eye. Every street in DTLA does not to have great street level retail and amongst other things. NC, SF, etc. all have streets that some would say have no life. This tower if built would be an eye turner...and not in a bad way.
I agree! Render looks good, and I hope it gets built. That height will have an impact on the skyline and help add density to the financial district.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:23 PM
Paramoderator

The last thing we need are more electronic billboards encroaching upon our CBD. Remember when the sign district was restricted to South Park?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:33 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
I'm no fan of the fortress but I think the reason they are doing it this way is because Macy's and other retail sit directly under the garage and would have to raze it all if they wanted to start from the ground. Also I think part of Alamo Drafthouse extends into the garage as well.

An improvement to what they propose here is to also redo the ground floor completely on the 3 blocks so at least it doesn't feel like a bunker when you're walking past it.
I would imagine they would have to close the retail portion underneath the garage temporarily (or maybe even permanently) anyway to fortify the base in order to support the added weight of a tower on top of the garage. If you're going to go through all that work, why not get rid of the garage and build it right.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, this is out of left field, but welcome. Agree that the best case scenario would be to rip the garage down completely, and redesign the whole thing with a pedestrian experience would be the best scenario, but that likely isn't feasible financially. What we're getting isn't the best design-wise or programming wise, BUT it adds a fair amount of residential and skyline density. With Brookfield, Mitsui Fudosan, this, and the Mitsui Fudosan tower directly across the street to the east, we could have 4 new large residential towers in a contiguous 3-block stretch between 7th and 8th Streets. That would be a massive boost to the weekend foot traffic of that part of downtown, which is already one of the busier parts on the weekends. And even could spur the World Trade Center tower into construction a few blocks north. Will be interesting to keep an eye on this to see if it moves forward.

What really bugs me is how they are plannign to engineer this. It appears that the primary structural support of this aligns somewhat with the elevator core for the parking garage, but knowing that garage pretty well, I highly doubt the supports would be in place to support that large of a tower. SO they will either need to punch through to add additional support in that area OR they are planning on the added floor on top of the garage being a sort of lateral load transfer point to the outer columns of the garage, which would disperse some of that weight outward. That doesn't appear to be expressed in the structure, but has to be part of the design if they expect to operate the garage during construction.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:39 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
The last thing we need are more electronic billboards encroaching upon our CBD. Remember when the sign district was restricted to South Park?
There's a rather large electronic billboard in the courtyard of the Intercontinental Hotel tower that I've purchased for clients recently. So precedent is there somewhat. But I agree, if I lived in the Roosevelt across the street, I'd be pissed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 12:28 AM

Wow. That thing is so welcomed. Designs a little basic but will have a great impact. And the fact that it would rise up from a plot no one expected a highrise to pop up from is always a plus.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
I'm no fan of the fortress but I think the reason they are doing it this way is because Macy's and other retail sit directly under the garage and would have to raze it all if they wanted to start from the ground.

Correct.

Video Link

How the support columns for a highrise tower will be added to the top of the parking structure, which sits atop the dept store, which sits atop what originally was the food court area of macys plaza or, originally, the broadway plaza is the big question.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:40 PM

Staples Center is no more... Signage taken down and sent to The Crypt where it will R.I.P.

Also, the Bloc tower's podium looks to use the entire roof of the garage. This might be one of the biggest, most open amenity decks of any residential development yet

Last edited by hughfb3; Dec 9, 2021 at 5:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations