HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:50 PM

With all of the West Loop and Near West Side activity I wouldn't be surprised if the lots around the united center begin to fill in more. I believe we have already seen plans for a couple of Blackhawks related buildings in the immediate lots. not sure how legitimate those plans are anymore however.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Where is McDonalds at? On what streets is that? Don't they have steak & eggs and cheese bagels?
It will be in the hotel's ground floor retail as mentioned above.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:26 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
I think this is easily the best stadium/neighborhood environment in the country for any sport. They are turning it into a community that actually lives up to the name "Wrigleyville". This transformation is great. I hope 'Addison on the Park' turns out like the renderings with the Times Square type signage and lighting. My only problem is the average fan is probably going to be eventually priced out of coming within a square mile of the stadium leaving nothing but plastic fans everywhere.
I fully agree. I'm all for the glowing lights and signage. I'd love for Wrigleyville to become a node of its own on the north side. Bonus on making it even harder to drive to the area. Let everyone take transit or walk.

The middle/working class fans getting priced out of the neighborhood is a sad reality of the economics of the redevelopment. Investing that much money by the Ricketts would only make sense if they got a good return on their investment. That implies rising property values, with pricey residential units and retail/restaurants that cater to higher end consumers in order to pay the pricey rent such a development would demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
This is more like the European soccer experience where the stadium/team is well integrated within an urban neighborhood and feels like it belongs to the local community unlike most American sports complexes that sit isolated and feel unapproachable. Like Soldier Field and the United Center for example where there is absolutely no life or charm to them. I've always preferred the European model, very similar to Wrigley as opposed to the U.S.'s approach of building off of expressways or in suburbs with seas of parking and natural or man made barriers. A major team playing in a location like this would never happen in modern times and we'll probably never see anything like it again.
Unlike Soldier Field, the United Center's issue is fixable. The lots suck the life out of the area, but they allow for street-fronting development that can join up with the rest of the nightlight corridor along Madison St. It's a foregone conclusion that those lots days are numbered. Add a stop on the Pink Like and it only hastens the process.

All the above applies to Comiskey as well, just add a couple of decades to that timetable.

Soldier Field will forever be a stadium in the middle of a park that's a b*tch to walk to, however.

Can't wait for my first game at Wrigley this year. Go Cubbies!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 11:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I fully agree. I'm all for the glowing lights and signage. I'd love for Wrigleyville to become a node of its own on the north side. Bonus on making it even harder to drive to the area. Let everyone take transit or walk.
This is my only beef with your comments, left of center. While I pretty much have been leaving my car parked on whatever street nearby where I live I can find a space much of the time, there ARE times where I need to get around to multiple places throughout my day in a relatively timely manner now that I'm the sales manager for a new brewery in the Ravenswood Ave./'Malt Row' corridor. Given that I live just east of Wrigley near Broadway/Addison, I'm pretty much cutting through Wrigleyville to get anywhere to the west. northwest or southwest. It's already pretty much a nightmare to get through the area, and you want to make it even worse?

I'm a huge transit supporter, both rail and bus. I take transit all the time, I walk all the time. But sometimes I DO need to get around, and it's already damned near impossible to do that with the exception of a few streets. Seriously, I see no reason to make it even MORE difficult for drivers in Wrigleyville. As it is, bicyclists (of the rogue variety) pretty much rule the area, much to the dismay of both drivers AND pedestrians!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 11:31 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
This is my only beef with your comments, left of center. While I pretty much have been leaving my car parked on whatever street nearby where I live I can find a space much of the time, there ARE times where I need to get around to multiple places throughout my day in a relatively timely manner now that I'm the sales manager for a new brewery in the Ravenswood Ave./'Malt Row' corridor. Given that I live just east of Wrigley near Broadway/Addison, I'm pretty much cutting through Wrigleyville to get anywhere to the west. northwest or southwest. It's already pretty much a nightmare to get through the area, and you want to make it even worse?

I'm a huge transit supporter, both rail and bus. I take transit all the time, I walk all the time. But sometimes I DO need to get around, and it's already damned near impossible to do that with the exception of a few streets. Seriously, I see no reason to make it even MORE difficult for drivers in Wrigleyville. As it is, bicyclists (of the rogue variety) pretty much rule the area, much to the dismay of both drivers AND pedestrians!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I love Malt Row, kudos to you and your craft, sir!

Perhaps my statement was poorly worded. My remark on making the area more difficult to drive to was more or less directed towards people who drive to Wrigley to catch a game or patronize the bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity. That should be entirely out of the question and not an even option (the Cubs should close their green lot on Grace and develop it).

Obviously complete gridlock would be very counter productive to the immediate and surrounding neighborhoods, since bikes, buses and cabs/rideshare vehicles would be effectively ground to a halt. Clark, Irving, Halsted, etc are all major thoroughfares, and I have no problem with people driving through to go about their business. But if you're coming in from Naperville to watch the Cubs clobber the Cards, you better be on a train.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:22 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I love Malt Row, kudos to you and your craft, sir!

Perhaps my statement was poorly worded. My remark on making the area more difficult to drive to was more or less directed towards people who drive to Wrigley to catch a game or patronize the bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity. That should be entirely out of the question and not an even option (the Cubs should close their green lot on Grace and develop it).

Obviously complete gridlock would be very counter productive to the immediate and surrounding neighborhoods, since bikes, buses and cabs/rideshare vehicles would be effectively ground to a halt. Clark, Irving, Halsted, etc are all major thoroughfares, and I have no problem with people driving through to go about their business. But if you're coming in from Naperville to watch the Cubs clobber the Cards, you better be on a train.
Thanks for the clarification on this, left of center! And thanks also for your kind words on my new-found profession!

I have no problem with blocking off the streets around Wrigley during game times themselves. My main issue is that it's just so difficult (read time-consuming) to get from Lakeview East anywhere westbound, at least up until around Western. Things DO generally open up a little west of Western, no doubt. If there were even one or two major streets that were more than 2 lane roads with massive numbers of stop signs as well as traffic lights, that would be nice. I guess Irving Park is probably the best of the bunch (since Fullerton, Diversey, Belmont, Addison, Montrose, Lawrence, Foster are all pretty much single-lane roads with stops every block or two, but it's still pretty terrible much of the time. Of course, if Chicago actually had better signal timing it would help as well, not having to stop literally at every single traffic signal as it turns red directly ahead of you every two blocks! Haha

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:36 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Of course, if Chicago actually had better signal timing it would help as well, not having to stop literally at every single traffic signal as it turns red directly ahead of you every two blocks! Haha
Ugh, this is an entirely different discussion all together...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:54 PM
TL;DR

Europe has plenty of stadiums that are in large parks or in industrial areas on the outskirts. It’s hard to get a huge plot of land in the center of a historic city. Usually these are next to a regional/commuter rail stop and they have bus depots also... rowdy rides on a coach bus are to European soccer what tailgating is to American football.

So, to me, Soldier Field already feels pretty European. It’s disconnected from the city fabric but plenty of fans still walk from transit or from far-flung parking locations.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 4:41 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
So, to me, Soldier Field already feels pretty European.
It helps that it's Chicago's version of the Parthenon as well lol

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
With all of the West Loop and Near West Side activity I wouldn't be surprised if the lots around the united center begin to fill in more. I believe we have already seen plans for a couple of Blackhawks related buildings in the immediate lots. not sure how legitimate those plans are anymore however.

Chicago Blackhawks Community Training Center opened earlier this year.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:01 PM

parking guys seem to have an iron grip north of the building..

and needs a pink line stop, which would help with the above somewhat

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
parking guys seem to have an iron grip north of the building..

and needs a pink line stop, which would help with the above somewhat
I keep mentioning this but the city owns many of those lots, and leases them to the parking operators. This is how they were able to build the new Malcolm X campus, they didn't need to buy that land. The new campus included a big garage, so no net loss of parking when the lot was plowed under.

The city could develop the rest of the lots tomorrow if they wanted (within the terms of the lease, obvi). They're just waiting to reach some kind of consensus with the team owners, who do not see the existing IMD Blue Line station or CTA bus service as a viable replacement option for driving/parking. Perhaps the new Green Line station at Damen will lure more people out of their cars, but really the city just needs to pony up and build a few large garages.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

Chicago Blackhawks Community Training Center opened earlier this year.
the issue to me still seems to be that all of these buildings are still massive, imposing developments the size of city blocks, and that dosent really help finely grained urban neighborhoods develop

also, the new Malcolm X college replaces a building of pretty much the exact same size and proportions, with the exception being the new one is of even lesser architectural importance

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:26 PM

Wrigley Field Renovation's construction timelapse--
https://pepperconstruction.wistia.com/medias/klupf703fu

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the issue to me still seems to be that all of these buildings are still massive, imposing developments the size of city blocks, and that dosent really help finely grained urban neighborhoods develop

also, the new Malcolm X college replaces a building of pretty much the exact same size and proportions, with the exception being the new one is of even lesser architectural importance
Agreed but when it's public money why not just build an uglier, slightly larger, more expensive version across the street? It's the government way!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Speaking of, did anyone catch that tv show last Sunday called Built to Last that had the segment on the Cubs/Wrigley Field reno?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Wow! That was so cool! I can see that. Looking good!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 7:05 PM
You had me at herro...

Live around the corner so I've been trying out a few places. I love the hotel bar, I love West Town Bakery actually - great. Big Star is fine, Rizzos across from the hotel to the north is huge, they really gutted that place to the bones and rebuilt the entire inside. They also built on a massive patio area that's covered, restrooms downstairs with multiple stairwells. It's a default "nice' sports bar, it'll do fine.

One thing about Big Star and Smoke Daddy is that the restrooms are shared in a common hallway on the second floor. So for Big Star you walk all the way upstairs, then around a bar area, across the upstairs of the restaurant and over to a shared hallway where you pee. It's a long way from anywhere on the first floor. Also curious how to get up there if you're handicapped. I get the shared bathroom, but why on the second floor and then design the second floor that you have to walk in a horseshoe around the bar area to get to that shared hallway.

Mordecai bar I actually wasn't impressed with. The staff seemed very confused and not trained, the drinks were a little expensive and it was trying to be quite upscale - which I think is the point of the place. It just didn't seem to fit in, I don't know if I would go back and the past three nights I've walked by and it's pretty empty.

One big interesting feature is going to be how the nicer of the places, Mordecai, the hotel lobby and especially Dutch and Doc deal with the fact they are trying to get a more upscale and expensive crowd there for upscale dinners and drinks - but no matter what they do they're going to be overrun almost a hundred days of the year with blacked out drunk Cubs fans. It's just the nature of where you are. On opening day my husband and I stopped by for a drink at Mordecai. We sat down in the booth and the waiter was nice, but there were just screaming drunk Cubs people all over, and this was a day when the actual game was rained out. It was probably 7pm by now, and while I totally didn't care because I got it, it was extremely interrupting and killed the vibe for us. The tables around us were just screaming nonsense, swearing, etc.

I can see a lot of people making reservations for the upscale Dutch and Doc at 7pm on a weekend night and it's going to be a huge clash of the cultures when it's 2/3 people there for a nice dinner dressed up and classy - and the 1/3 will be shit faced fans who have been drinking all day and probably don't understand or care that they're yelling and stumbling around.

Comes with the territory, but I bet there's going to be some fights! Again, I totally get it and I would know exactly what I'm walking into having lived right near Wrigley for 10 years - but I know there are PLENTY of people who won't understand until they get there to their 7:30pm reservation from the suburbs or their hotel downtown and find a few tables around them screaming.

LOVED West Town, we only got drinks, but the drinks were well thought out and very good, the best we had of all the places we tried. The bartender was really cool and I like the setup. We just tried to peek in and the bartender waved at us, so we thought "oh, I guess we can have a drink". Ended up loving it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post

....One big interesting feature is going to be how the nicer of the places, Mordecai, the hotel lobby and especially Dutch and Doc deal with the fact they are trying to get a more upscale and expensive crowd there for upscale dinners and drinks - but no matter what they do they're going to be overrun almost a hundred days of the year with blacked out drunk Cubs fans. It's just the nature of where you are. On opening day my husband and I stopped by for a drink at Mordecai. We sat down in the booth and the waiter was nice, but there were just screaming drunk Cubs people all over, and this was a day when the actual game was rained out. It was probably 7pm by now, and while I totally didn't care because I got it, it was extremely interrupting and killed the vibe for us. The tables around us were just screaming nonsense, swearing, etc.

I can see a lot of people making reservations for the upscale Dutch and Doc at 7pm on a weekend night and it's going to be a huge clash of the cultures when it's 2/3 people there for a nice dinner dressed up and classy - and the 1/3 will be shit faced fans who have been drinking all day and probably don't understand or care that they're yelling and stumbling around....
This has been in my mind as well! Really curious to see how it plays out. I want it to work. Maybe there will be self-sorting.

I haven't made it to Mordecai yet, but have been to the hotel bar a couple times. Enjoyed it and can see hanging out there. Hoping that the staff at Mordecai just needs another couple days to settle down. It's only been open 10 days. I like the look of the space and would appreciate a nice cocktail lounge 3 minutes from my house.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 12:40 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
This has been in my mind as well! Really curious to see how it plays out. I want it to work. Maybe there will be self-sorting.

I haven't made it to Mordecai yet, but have been to the hotel bar a couple times. Enjoyed it and can see hanging out there. Hoping that the staff at Mordecai just needs another couple days to settle down. It's only been open 10 days. I like the look of the space and would appreciate a nice cocktail lounge 3 minutes from my house.
I'd appreciate it as well, even if it's about 10 minutes from my apartment and not 3!

Us Lakeview/Wrigleyvillians should meet up one of these days for a few tasty beverages.

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development