HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Should be a 5+ games suspension...

He will get but a slap on the wrist, as usual.

BTW, I thought you were no longer a habs fan. Jumping on the bandwaggon I see?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:18 AM
Community Guy

How about playing/skating in a protective manner?

Come on folks

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:19 AM
Community Guy

Avs!!!!!!

Love watching this series.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:21 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Avs!!!!!!

Love watching this series.
If the Avs sweep both St. Louis and Vegas then I fear what they will do to whatever Canadian team has to play them.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If the Avs sweep both St. Louis and Vegas then I fear what they will do to whatever Canadian team has to play them.
Totally. Different level.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

That was a very chinsey call in a playoff OT game.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:28 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Nice clean hit. Now do Price.
Quote:
Keep your head up as hitting is part of the game.

Did he run him, no.

Charging sure, but with intent, nope.

You tuck a puck and assume that you are out of the play?

Sorry.
Are you guys serious? Good clean hit, part of the game?

How about when you're a loser like Scheifele who's accomplished nothing in his career you don't charge from the red line to hit a defenceless player all the while doing nothing to prevent the goal with your stick?

How is a guy supposed to have his head up while doing a wrap around? Why do you think none of the Jets players commented on the hit? Because they know it's not legit.

You two should maybe read a hockey rule book because you clearly know very little about what is legal hitting and what isn't.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Jun 3, 2021 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:38 PM
More transit please

For the tough guys on this thread, here's the rule about charging:

Rule 42.1: "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A charge may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Scheifele was outta control tonight.

He also tried to smash Chiarot's head on the ice (when his helmet was off) in a mêlée earlier in the game.

In the last hit on Evans, it was obviously going to be an empty net goal, but Scheifele skated all the way from his own blue line to gather speed to blind side him as he came around the net.
Scheifele played an uncharacteristically undisciplined game yesterday, I'm not sure what happened to trigger that response but he looked like a wildman at various points of the night, even before the Evans hit.

That hit on Evans was an unfortunate decision for a number of reasons... first and foremost being the fact that it could have absolutely maimed Evans (although thankfully Evans was reportedly back at the Habs hotel last night). But even if you don't believe in that kind of namby pamby stuff, it was also unfortunate because it's now certain that Scheif is going to be out for at least a game or two. Under normal circumstances I would have been pretty confident that the Jets could bounce back in game 2, but without Scheifele that will be much harder. And all that for something that didn't affect the outcome of the game at all.

I would love to hear the backstory on what happened last night... was there something after a play early on that made Scheifele come unglued? Or was he just overwhelmed by a frustrating Montreal team? Schiefele is a beloved player in Winnipeg, in many ways he is the face of the club. But judging by the response I saw on social media last night, that mantle was tarnished a bit by last night's performance.

Finally, I realize this sentiment may not be popular but Evans should probably have known better too. That empty netter was not the OT winner that you fearlessly sacrifice the body for... as coldrsx said, when you come around the net like that you are likely expecting someone to be on a collision course with you. Sometimes you hold your fire and live to fight another day.

Quote:
At least you've got the Greying Cup. But if a team wins a championship and no one cares, does it really count?
Let me know when Hamilton wins something in this century

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It's tricky and frustration I am sure, but if you plan on doing that as a Hab, you must know that someone is coming for you and or the puck.

Risk/reward.

GO Avs!
Except, it wasn't a play for and/or the puck. Scheifele was coming for Evans. Nothing else. From cross ice at full speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
Not to mention that Scheifele didn't attempt a play on the puck with his stick to actually prevent a goal. Seemed he had other things on his mind.
Exactly.

Quote:
How about playing/skating in a protective manner?

Come on folks
Are you serious? There is nothing unprotective he did. He was doing a wrap around to score. He wasn't skating in the middle of the ice with his head down. Besides, if everyone played protective (to that level) all game long, you would be bored out of your mind watching hockey. How about people being accountable for their own lame actions? How about people playing the puck instead of the body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Should be a 5+ games suspension...
I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a 1 or 2 game suspension. At least there is a silver lining if it's a short suspension. The Habs will have his number for the remainder of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post

How about when you're a loser like Scheifele who's accomplished nothing in his career you don't charge from the red line to hit a defenceless player all the while doing nothing to prevent the goal with your stick?

How is a guy supposed to have his head up while doing a wrap around? Why do you think none of the Jets players commented on the hit? Because they know it's not legit.

You two should maybe read a hockey rule book because you clearly know very little about what is legal hitting and what isn't.
I second those comments. Well said !

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jun 3, 2021 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Scheifele played an uncharacteristically undisciplined game yesterday, I'm not sure what happened to trigger that response but he looked like a wildman at various points of the night, even before the Evans hit.
Yes, the was some speculation on social media last night that he was ''on" something. I think that's ridiculous, but still he obviously wasn't in his right mind.

I mentioned earlier that Chiarot was like a speck in his eye all night. At one point in the game he slammed Chiarot's unhelmeted head (he was already down) onto the ice.

It's sad to see out of character things like this have consequences for someone, but it remains that we're all responsible for our actions. Even if it's out of character or a first offence.

We'll see what the NHL says.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Not for a while now. Superbowls, Olympics, World Cup finals usually draw better, outside of the occasional hockey game and Raptors/Jays run. Couldn't tell you the last time a GC actually lead for a year - probably sometime in the early 2000s.
The Grey Cup is still a major, highly watched event in Canada every year.

Saying that "no one cares" about it is a dumb comment. Like saying no one in the US cares about the World Series because the Super Bowl's TV ratings are higher.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Let me know when Hamilton wins something in this century
He probably doesn't care about the Tiger-Cats. Probably more into the Buffalo Bills.

Even so... same question!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Grey Cup is still a major, highly watched event in Canada every year.

Saying that "no one cares" about it is a dumb comment.
I don't think anyone said this?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:37 PM
Community Guy

Quote:

Let me be very clear here, it was not a pretty sight and Scheifele knew what he was doing there and should have let up a bit, but there HAS to be onus on a player who clearly was not playing heads up hockey, protecting himself or being aware.

Regardless, it was an ugly result and could have been avoided by both sides.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I don't think anyone said this?

Quote:

At least you've got the Greying Cup. But if a team wins a championship and no one cares, does it really count?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:44 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Let me be very clear here, it was not a pretty sight and Scheifele knew what he was doing there and should have let up a bit, but there HAS to be onus on a player who clearly was not playing heads up hockey, protecting himself or being aware.

Regardless, it was an ugly result and could have been avoided by both sides.
You said you play hockey... How can one keep his head up when doing a wrap-around?

Do players need to expect to be charged like that every time now? Because that type of hit certainly does not happen very often.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Agree....Its Playoff hockey...what did he think was going to happen. You want that goal that bad...be prepared to pay a heavy price. Id do the same thing. Being honest. I hope he is ok though.
Well Oiler fans are going to Oiler. If that was MacDavid lying on the ice, there would be riots in Edmonton. We all know how Oiler fans and media went insane when Chucky lit up Kassian with clean hit(s) a couple years back. Or how you piled on Chucky when his skate injured Scheifele accidentally last year during the play in. But a player skating full tilt the length of the ice and levelling another player who just scored a goal is ok!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:54 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
You said you play hockey... How can one keep his head up when doing a wrap-around?

Do players need to expect to be charged like that every time now? Because that type of hit certainly does not happen very often.
A unique situation for sure and he should have let up a bit, but he is coming back hard and taking the puck or the player, which is what you are taught to do and he took the player.

Certainly I hope Evans is ok and Mark should get a game or two, but in my mind there is not a lot of difference here or someone skating with their head down elsewhere on the ice. It's a dangerous habit and incumbent on any player to be aware and ready to be hit.

The only real difference here is the 'windup' folks and it not only looked bad, but was bad.

Had M.S. taken three steps and delivered a significant hit in the same manner would we be talking about this? Evans in the same position would have still be destroyed and probably taken off as well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:10 PM
More transit please

Quote:
A unique situation for sure and he should have let up a bit, but he is coming back hard and taking the puck or the player, which is what you are taught to do and he took the player.

Certainly I hope Evans is ok and Mark should get a game or two, but in my mind there is not a lot of difference here or someone skating with their head down elsewhere on the ice. It's a dangerous habit and incumbent on any player to be aware and ready to be hit.

The only real difference here is the 'windup' folks and it not only looked bad, but was bad.

Had M.S. taken three steps and delivered a significant hit in the same manner would we be talking about this? Evans in the same position would have still be destroyed and probably taken off as well.
Don't think Evans would have been hit that hard had Scheifele taken three strides instead of literally skating the entire 200 feet before hitting him. The fact that he stopped taking strides at one point doesn't matter, he had already built up enough speed to obliterate anyone.

As Jawagord said, if this was McDavid you certainly wouldn't have the same opinion. Case closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada