HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Do you think Regina's population will reach 250,000 by 2010?
Yes 5 11.90%
No 33 78.57%
Maybe, if Saskatchewan gets a big population boom 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
Well, depends on the strides they make toward the goal, I would imagine. It was a ridiculous goal in the first place, though. I'd be curious to know what the actual population is at right now? The census numbers we have are from last year, and I'd be willing to bet that those numbers are rising faster than they were before.
Branny,

At the the very most the increase is double at best, meaning 400 per year added, not the 200 from last census. Still far from being able to reach the "goal".

Using population growth of twice, an optimistic number, the 10 year average, brings us to 1,600 new residents by 2010 or close to 180,000 population. Missing the goal by 28%, if Fiacco was still at Direct West and missed his sales goals by nearly 30%, how long would he be in that job ?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Fine but in any job, if goals are set out and not met by the employee. How long will stay employed ?
When you attain 11 of the 12 goals (in that link that you provided), methinks you are doing a good job. But we all know you'll spin it to make it seem like the end of the world that one of those 12 goals may not be reached. Your about as predictable as Rosie O'Donnell....

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
When you attain 11 of the 12 goals (in that link that you provided), methinks you are doing a good job. But we all know you'll spin it to make it seem like the end of the world that one of those 12 goals may not be reached. Your about as predictable as Rosie O'Donnell....
Tell me, how the other goals have been accomplished and give me some empirical evidence. The other ones are so vague that it is impossible. Also, if a salesperson has a goals of :

1) $200,000 in sales

2) Good customer service

3) Positive work attitude

4) Helpful to co-workers

5) Make friends at work

The salesperson meets all these goals but only manages $140k in sales. Is that still an accomplishment or have they so severely missed their most important goal that they would be unemployed.

And you are as predicable as Bill O'Reilly.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Branny,

At the the very most the increase is double at best, meaning 400 per year added, not the 200 from last census. Still far from being able to reach the "goal".

Using population growth of twice, an optimistic number, the 10 year average, brings us to 1,600 new residents by 2010 or close to 180,000 population. Missing the goal by 28%, if Fiacco was still at Direct West and missed his sales goals by nearly 30%, how long would he be in that job ?
I never said it would be anywhere near what was needed to reach 250,000...I was just curious! If you take into account more people moving in and less people moving out, I just wondered what the numbers look like now compared to a year ago.

Again, with the goals...I suppose it would depend on whether or not they were his goals or the company's goals. It also depends on how realistic those goals are...You can't totally compare the two. If your boss set ridiculous goals like that for you, what would you think? And your boss surely wouldn't fire you for not reaching some wacky goal that you set on your own. I'm not trying to fight with you, I just don't think the two situations are completely interchangeable.

Don't get me wrong, I've got issues with some of the things the mayor is doing or has done...but overall, I think he's done a pretty good job. I look at where this city is today and how far we've come and I'm optimistic about the future. I think his biggest asset is that people can relate to him...he's a very nice person who is approachable and open and I think that goes a long way with "regular folk". And let's face it, no matter how big this city gets, not matter how corporate it becomes, most of us are just that...regular people. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:10 PM

Fight nice, you two!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Most people that speak in third person are not considered "regular people" and Fiacco is the only politician that anyone ever says, "he's done pretty good."

How has Regina gotten better since 2000 ? I would say that many things are worse, other then the "I'm OK, You're OK" fanatics.

On a side note, the "Vision for Regina"was instigated by Fiacco and agreed upon by Council. The only boss these 11 have are the voters every 3 years. The administration can not dictate anything only advise and recommend.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 7:00 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Quote:
Tell me, how the other goals have been accomplished and give me some empirical evidence. The other ones are so vague that it is impossible. Also, if a salesperson has a goals of :

1) $200,000 in sales

2) Good customer service

3) Positive work attitude

4) Helpful to co-workers

5) Make friends at work

The salesperson meets all these goals but only manages $140k in sales. Is that still an accomplishment or have they so severely missed their most important goal that they would be unemployed.

And you are as predicable as Bill O'Reilly.
I am going to have to agree with Quimby on this one, Fiacco should be embarrassed by even thinking the city will reach 300k by 2010. I could see some SSP'er make that claim, but the mayor?? Come on, get a touch of reality. That's like me thinking I still have a shot at making the NHL, and publicly telling everyone "By 2010 I will play for the Ducks" It's completely bogus, so why say it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:33 PM
Capitalist

I have an old book (mid 80's) which discribes Regina as a nice city of 178,000 ... today its 179,000 twenty years later? Its really not moving anywhere fast is it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:35 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Start fucking, folks. Drop the birth control and condoms while you're at it if you're in a solid relationship.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:38 PM

hmm i think that even though regina's population has not gone up, the progress of developments has been going strong in the last 3 years or so.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
hmm i think that even though regina's population has not gone up, the progress of developments has been going strong in the last 3 years or so.
Momentum has to start somewhere, right? Maybe this is a turning point.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:17 AM

By 2010? Absolutely not. You do realize that's in only 3 years?

Maybe by 2040.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Fiacco and council are on record as promising that Regina will have 250k and Regina CMA would be over 300k by 2010. It is a pipe dream.
Promising?

Your link is to a vision statement. Do you know what a vision statement IS?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I have an old book (mid 80's) which discribes Regina as a nice city of 178,000 ... today its 179,000 twenty years later? Its really not moving anywhere fast is it.
Today I believe it is 198,000 (or was it 193,000?).

A vision statement including a goal of 250,000 by 2010 is not out of line at all. For one, Fiacco likely made that vision when he took office...so it's not like he made it yesterday.

Second...IT'S A VISION STATEMENT PEOPLE. I don't think anyone here knows what a bloody vision statement.

Go check the vision statements of all the companies in the world...see how many vision statements are realistic, or even specific. Vision statements are "dream statements"...it's where you would like to see the company/city go.

Does anyone really believe RC Cola will be the largest and best softdrink manufacturer in the world? Well...they won't. But that doesn't mean they, or any other drink manufacturer, can't have that vision for the company.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:47 AM
Closed account

Probably not. But it doesn't have to, really - a better target would be quality of life improvements for the people already living here. Like better transit, more arts and culture and libraries, livelier downtown, that sort of thing. If you really really need numerical targets, how about things like bus frequency or library availability or theatre shows and concerts or sports facilities opening hours, etc. Things that would actually mean something to people than "I'm citizen 248 538 of 250 000, woo hoo."

Last edited by governorgeneral; May 1, 2007 at 1:53 AM. Reason: Edited to make a point

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:16 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post

A vision statement including a goal of 250,000 by 2010 is not out of line at all. For one, Fiacco likely made that vision when he took office...so it's not like he made it yesterday.

Second...IT'S A VISION STATEMENT PEOPLE. I don't think anyone here knows what a bloody vision statement.

Go check the vision statements of all the companies in the world...see how many vision statements are realistic, or even specific. Vision statements are "dream statements"...it's where you would like to see the company/city go.

Does anyone really believe RC Cola will be the largest and best softdrink manufacturer in the world? Well...they won't. But that doesn't mean they, or any other drink manufacturer, can't have that vision for the company.
So where would all these 50,000 people come from? Winnipeg? You can't have 'em. Regina isn't exactly considered multicultural like Winnipeg is.... what are the main non-white ethnic groups there?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post

Some of you guys will say the most outrageous things to defend Fat Cat Pat.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
So where would all these 50,000 people come from? Winnipeg? You can't have 'em. Regina isn't exactly considered multicultural like Winnipeg is.... what are the main non-white ethnic groups there?
Ive never really thought of Winnipeg as a multicultural city. With that said, obviously there would be more diversity in Winnipeg because it's a larger city

No reason to turn this into city vs city

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:40 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

When the bust happens in Alberta I think you will see a lot of folks moving back to Regina.

I'm actually surprised to hear that Regina doesn't have 250,000. Your city seems so much bigger than 170,000+.

Whenever I drive around in Fargo (184,000) and then drive in Regina a few weeks later your city always seems so much bigger.

You have a number of impressive highrises, arts, culture.

I wouldn't worry about the 250,000 mark. Coming from a much larger city I was fooled.

Your football team could use a little work. *cough* cough * (Go Bombers!)

All in all, Keep up the good work Regina!

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
When the bust happens in Alberta I think you will see a lot of folks moving back to Regina.

I'm actually surprised to hear that Regina doesn't have 250,000. Your city seems so much bigger than 170,000+.

Whenever I drive around in Fargo (184,000) and then drive in Regina a few weeks later your city always seems so much bigger.

You have a number of impressive highrises, arts, culture.

I wouldn't worry about the 250,000 mark. Coming from a much larger city I was fooled.

Your football team could use a little work. *cough* cough * (Go Bombers!)

All in all, Keep up the good work Regina!
If we had a council that had a brain, heart, or courage between them but instead the Mayor of Oz runs the show behind his curtain. The "Gong Show"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan