HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 9:39 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Sorry, maybe losing focus of this thread...but my wife stayed at the Union Bank Inn and thought it was really cool. I've only ate at the restaurant on the main floor (oh...8 years ago now!), which was extremely good at the time.
Union Bank Inn and Madison's grill is AWESOME.....

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:49 AM

OK, yes this thread is indeed morphing, but since the subject was changed...

I have stayed at Edmonton House 3 times and never had any problems except minor annoyance of sound coming from hallway, elevator, and other rooms which can happen in any hotel. Having a spacious suite and a balcony with a killer view makes up for any shortcomings, IMO.

I stayed at the Fairmont once, and while it's nice and all, I would have felt it was very over-priced had I been paying full price instead of the employee rate.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:49 AM

Anyone here know if WEM has a big sports store that sells just team apparel (NFL, NHL, MLB etc.)?

I'm so sick and fucking tired of Jersey City and Sport Chek's here in Calgary!

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:54 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Isn't there a store called "Champions" in the mall? I'm thinking that is what you are looking for.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Anyone here know if WEM has a big sports store that sells just team apparel (NFL, NHL, MLB etc.)?

I'm so sick and fucking tired of Jersey City and Sport Chek's here in Calgary!
Game on sports?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:29 AM
Community Guy

there are a few dedicated, not sure names.

www.westedmontonmall.com

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:42 AM

Thx guys... I'm gonna have to take a shopping trip up to the Chuck one of these weekends, it's been a while since I've been to WEM...

and yes... I'd give my left nut to have a mall like WEM in Calgary, without the shit brown bricks of course.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:10 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Mindbender is one of the coolest rollercoasters - and it has stayed on its tracks for over 20 years now!

True story, our first family visit to WEM was the week after the accident. My mother hadn't actually heard about it, if you can believe it - it was MAJOR national news as I recall. My Edmonton-living uncle kept telling her on the way to the mall that she should try the new rollercoaster, *especially* the rear car. You can imagine his dark sense of humour.

Anyway, when we got to the mall and saw the (was it police tape at that point still?) - she FREAKED and finally learned the whole story. I don't think she talked to him for over a year after that.

The 80s ruled.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 8:17 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Although not living in Edmonton anymore I did live there for many a year .... during my time there I've been to WEM countless times but, perhaps due to its shear size my family and I rarely bought anything there as we'd be 'pooped' from walking around far before we got to the stores we 'really' wanted to visit. We far preferred doing our shopping @ Southgate and Kingsway ... and, occasionally, Londonderry and Edmonton Centre.

The interior of WEM despirately needs a major overhaul to keep attracting tourists and locals alike ... again, Southgate, Londonderry and Kingsway have all undergone major renovations over the years and I far prefer the interior architecture of anyone of those malls to WEM. As for WEM's exterior ... bland and frankly due to all the parking you really can't see the mall from the exterior save the hotel and a few other features which rise above the parkade from ...

As for WEM shaping Edmonton's growth ... I'd have to say definately yes in terms of the 'new Westend' (eg. from 170 Street west to the city limits and from Anthony Henday north to Stony Plain Road) ... to me the biggest effect which WEM has had on westend has been in terms of the traffic infrastructure ... eg. 170 Street is wider than a lot of freeways I know of and I'm pretty sure that if WEM didn't exist that a large part of the Anthony Henday bypass wouldn't have been built for years

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:24 PM

True story (although sad):

My wife and I were in Disney Land in 03 and while we were standing in line for one of the attractions and as usual you chat with the people in line with you, ask them where they are from, etc. Anyway, when we said we were from Edmonton we got this response:

"you are from Edmonton?!?!?? What are you guys doing here????? I would never leave that mall if I lived there, you guys are sooooo lucky."

Then seriously a few other people told us how they hoped to one day be able to afford to make a trip up to Edmonton to see the mall. lol

Sad but true. Although if it wasn't for the mall those same people in the line probably would have had no clue where we were from, so the mall isn't all bad.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:48 PM
Community Guy

^haha...but you have to think for a typical NA family, WEM is a very very good place for a vacation.

-shopping - day
-galaxyland - 1 day
-waterpark - 1 day
-misc. - 1 day

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:16 PM
Derp

I love the mall. I find it enjoyable and easy to navigate, and I know where all the shops are. I dont go there on a regular basis, but when I do, I always spend money there, just like I do when I shop on Whyte Ave, or in the downtown. As far as the mall interior looking dated? I really dont see it as a big deal, and I think the mall has a welcoming feel to it. Would be nice to see LRT out there though. I guess I dont see the place as a novelty, since I live here. I just see it as a mall.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 12:05 AM
DRINK

What city didn't have the shopping sucked from it's core in the 70's/80's? To blame WEM for that is foolish. We had the same thing happen here that happened everywhere, except we got the biggest tourist attraction in the province in return.

...just reno the damn thing already...

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:10 AM

Growing up in Edmonton, I think a lot of us had a love/hate for the mall. I never really enjoyed shopping there, that's for sure. However, I appreciate the name recognition and tourism it brought the city, but on the other hand, my city's only real claim to fame is... a shopping mall? Strange.

I lived south in Millwoods so going to the mall wasn't a regular occurrance. Most of the time, I never really thought about it...

These days, the mall reminds me of a retired body builder: Still big, but the muscles have all turned flabby

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton