HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...5eebeaeac/amp/
It sounds like Harvard is finally ready to move forward with their plans to redevelop Lakeshore Mall. It will be done in phases. They haven’t released their plans yet, so no idea what it will look like. They did release renderings way back when (2014 I believe), but they haven’t said if they will follow the original plans or do something different altogether.
Finally! Interesting that the Lakeshore Steakhouse might not be part of it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Finally! Interesting that the Lakeshore Steakhouse might not be part of it.
Guessing back in 2013, Harvard Developments thought the Steakhouse would be a part of the new build. Maybe they offered to buy and the Steakhouse refused to sell?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:09 PM
BANNED

With real estate prices the way they are, that might have been a smart decision. Or not cuz I honestly don't know how much higher they can go. Also interesting that the Sobeys still exists in the original rendering but it sounds like they are going to tear the entire building down.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
With real estate prices the way they are, that might have been a smart decision. Or not cuz I honestly don't know how much higher they can go. Also interesting that the Sobeys still exists in the original rendering but it sounds like they are going to tear the entire building down.
I think the original plan called for replacing the old grocery store with a new structure. Looking at the rendering, the front of the store is on the opposite side to where it used to be. Also, it looks to be angled with the narrower end facing the intersection instead of the wide side.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonandbranch View Post
I think the original plan called for replacing the old grocery store with a new structure. Looking at the rendering, the front of the store is on the opposite side to where it used to be. Also, it looks to be angled with the narrower end facing the intersection instead of the wide side.
And then there was this rendering…

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:45 PM

I think it's safe to assume that they have a new plan that we will see at some point. Likely 1-2 condo structures with retail on the ground level (I hope). I'm guessing only 5-6 floors, though, not 10-12.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I think it's safe to assume that they have a new plan that we will see at some point. Likely 1-2 condo structures with retail on the ground level (I hope). I'm guessing only 5-6 floors, though, not 10-12.
Anything will be welcome and better than that falling apart corner right now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:52 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Would be excellent for them to go for the 10-12 though, we need more condo units. Plus, it'll help balance out the skyline to a degree as right now Roberts Plaza sticks out like a sore thumb in the area.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:58 AM

Why do we need more condo units?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Why do we need more condo units?
Because it's really density or die.

And for the huge surplus of condos in the Greens or Harbour Landing, there is a very limited supply of new quality ones in the inner city.

On MLS there are zero new condos downtown over $300,000. 6 in Transition. Zero in Cathedral. Zero in General Hospital area. One in the Wascana Lake area.

So if you have money and want modern in inner city Regina your options are pretty limited.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:16 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
It's not typical that a developer would under-build/not maximize the allowable density. If the current zoning of the site allows multiple buildings at 10-12 stories, they'll pursue that. They may wait on that phase (as the article alludes to) until market conditions support that density and focus on the development (retail) where they can start generating revenue. In situations where the developer doesn't feel the market commands that level of density/development, they'll offload the site to someone else who does - and the price of the land will reflect the maximium amount of the buildable density and the new purchaser would again, need to maximize that development to recoup the costs of the land sale.

TL;DR: Developers aren't going to under-build from what's allowed.

Last edited by CCF; Apr 8, 2022 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
It's not typical that a developer would under-build/not maximize the allowable density. If the current zoning of the site allows multiple buildings at 10-12 stories, they'll pursue that. They may wait on that phase (as the article alludes to) until market conditions support that density and focus on the development (retail) where they can start generating revenue. In situations where the developer doesn't feel the marker commands that level of density/development, they'll offload the site to someone else who does - and the price of the land will reflect the maximium amount of the buildable density and the new purchaser would again, need to maximize that development to recoup the costs of the land sale.

TL;DR: Developers aren't going to under-build from what's allowed.
Completely agree. That’s a valuable piece of land. I don’t see Harvard missing out on the opportunity to maximize their profits especially when you consider what those views would be worth to buyers. A 10th floor condo with a view of the lake or downtown is worth a lot more than a 3rd floor condo with a view of the tree tops.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 6:46 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

It makes me wonder if they'll try to go big and get over 15 floors.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
It makes me wonder if they'll try to go big and get over 15 floors.
I know that there was apparently outrage from local residents when Roberts Plaza was built (and the other 2-3 planned towers were scrapped), but I don't understand why. I lived a few blocks from there in Hillsdale in the late 2000s and honestly the tower looks fine. They keep it in good shape, the bar lights up the sides look nice, and it's not super imposing.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I know that there was apparently outrage from local residents when Roberts Plaza was built (and the other 2-3 planned towers were scrapped), but I don't understand why. I lived a few blocks from there in Hillsdale in the late 2000s and honestly the tower looks fine. They keep it in good shape, the bar lights up the sides look nice, and it's not super imposing.
Typical NIMBYs who don't like density (aka people) and think that they are living on a farm/small town instead of a city.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 6:36 PM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/limited-su...tion-1.5849369

Limited supply caused Regina housing prices to rise in March: realtors association
Good news Hopefully for the proposed condo

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post

Limited supply caused Regina housing prices to rise in March: realtors association
It’s insane that we still can’t figure out how to get more housing built downtown but I guess Sask is second last in the country for population growth so it’s not like people are lining up to come here. Saskatoon has figured it out though.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post

It seems like every city in Canada has a housing crunch. Although Regina needs to massively step up its game in terms of increasing supply instantly.

Here's Saskatoon for comparison

I understand that Saskatoon is growing faster and has about 70k more people in its CMA, but Saskatoon should not be building triple what Regina currently is. Especially when Regina only has 40k less people then Saskatoon within municipal boundaries and had a modest population growth from 2016-21. The housing starts between both municipalities is even more startling.

However, the real problem is that 40% of houses being constructed are single-family detached house which I can only assume is being built at the edge of the city exacerbating the sprawl problem. Saskatoon in comparison has that share down to 24% (still not good enough imo).

I really hope y'all can figure out your NIMBY problem because it would be great if Regina can get a construction boom like the rest of Canada (with much less single-family construction please). Especially since its near the half way mark of Calgary and Winnipeg who are also experiencing construction boom hopefully that can be some sort of catalyst for increased activity in the city.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 8:08 PM
BANNED

We are getting our butts kicked . Where's this amazing mayor I keep hearing we have and what is she doing about this?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:
We are getting our butts kicked . Where's this amazing mayor I keep hearing we have and what is she doing about this?
She is more concerned with Regina's net zero 2050 plan and whatever the cost is to get there... the entire city council is so indulged with there own ideas as compared to actual city issues like housing and retail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan