HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
It's the eternal struggle of cities and surrounding areas—people usually either live or work in the cities (and rely on them for attraction of other people and business), but also don't want to pay the cost of living or working in that city.
True that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 5:55 PM

https://beheard.regina.ca/budget-2022

Pre-budget survey. I don't trust the city to listen, but important to try to get as many people to respond.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 5:59 PM

Is there an update on the former downtown YMCA property? What do we think it will become? Demolish or?

Also wondering status of the new downtown transit hub and where it will be located.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 5:04 PM

I have always loved this tower it was known as Henry Bakers the Last Erection Mayor who built it
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ment-1.6105902
Regina city hall's roof beyond 'useful life' and will be replaced

A crane will be used to bring materials and equipment onto the roof

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 7:06 PM

https://www.westerninvestor.com/sask...katoon-3969122

Office vacancy rates spikes in Regina, Saskatoon
Much of the empty space being seen in older Class A, B and C class buildings, and tenant incentives are increasing
According to the Colliers’ survey, there is 803,000 square feet of vacant office space in Regina’s downtown, out of a total of 4.5 million square feet. Most of the vacant space is in Class B and C buildings.

Net absorption of downtown office space in the second quarter was negative by 198,000 square feet, and went negative by about 48,000 square feet in the previous quarter.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.westerninvestor.com/sask...katoon-3969122

Office vacancy rates spikes in Regina, Saskatoon
Much of the empty space being seen in older Class A, B and C class buildings, and tenant incentives are increasing
According to the Colliers’ survey, there is 803,000 square feet of vacant office space in Regina’s downtown, out of a total of 4.5 million square feet. Most of the vacant space is in Class B and C buildings.

Net absorption of downtown office space in the second quarter was negative by 198,000 square feet, and went negative by about 48,000 square feet in the previous quarter.
With a possible Covid resurgence this fall and winter, I don't see office vacancies getting better anytime soon. The more this goes on, the more people realize how much happier they are working at home most of the time. I see in the article that "office landlords are dangling incentives to retain and attract tenants", but those tenants need people that want to work in an office in the first place. I suppose there could be some value in moving away from cubicle culture and giving those who want to work in an office their own private spaces. I can see that becoming a thing.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jul 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 10:01 PM

I don't think there are any companies that really care what their employees want.

Employers want the office, which is why it will return.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I don't think there are any companies that really care what their employees want.

Employers want the office, which is why it will return.
Really? What industry do you work in where the workers have zero power? Cuz in IT, we have plenty. If you’ve been following the news, you’ll also see that employers are generally having a hard time finding workers. Granted they all aren’t office-based, but the effects are widespread. And in case you missed the entire conversation from before, my employer, and a handful of friends’ employers seem to care. Either way, don’t sell yourself short. Workers have the power in numbers whether they know it or not, skilled or not skilled.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 12:01 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I am still looking for work, which is difficult because of my Crohn's so I'm likely to be a liability during the pandemic.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 12:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I am still looking for work, which is difficult because of my Crohn's so I'm likely to be a liability during the pandemic.
Sorry to hear that, pal. Good luck out there

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 4:35 PM

City is building a new pathway between Lakeshore and 23rd. This should get bikes off the parallel roads Hillsdale and Wascana Parkway. Improvement, I think.

https://twitter.com/Pedal_bYQR/statu...40437924491264

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 4:38 PM

I'm still awaiting construction on the pathway along Pasqua street.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 6:21 PM

https://www.cjme.com/2021/07/22/regi...s-on-steroids/
Regina Mayor hints ring road rail talks “on steroids”
Regina / 980 CJME
CJME News
Jul 22, 2021 | 10:56 AM
This is why she’s a great mayor @Masters is showing a lot more confidence than her predecessors.

“The tracks on Ring Road will be relocated. I am very confident in that actually in the big scheme of things. Whether that is three years from now or five years from now, it will be coming. It really is a question of how fast we can get that initial study done, which again, is probably put on a bit of a fast track due to some of these announcements and then it will be a matter of getting the construction in place to be make it happen,” Masters insisted.

It is likely more information will be forthcoming later this year as Masters and the Regina administration solidify some of the details.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 7:43 PM

Anyone know why the signage is missing from Hill Tower 1? Did it blow off in the wind? Or did they lose their main tenant?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.cjme.com/2021/07/22/regi...s-on-steroids/
Regina Mayor hints ring road rail talks “on steroids”
Regina / 980 CJME
CJME News
Jul 22, 2021 | 10:56 AM
This is why she’s a great mayor @Masters is showing a lot more confidence than her predecessors.

“The tracks on Ring Road will be relocated. I am very confident in that actually in the big scheme of things. Whether that is three years from now or five years from now, it will be coming. It really is a question of how fast we can get that initial study done, which again, is probably put on a bit of a fast track due to some of these announcements and then it will be a matter of getting the construction in place to be make it happen,” Masters insisted.

It is likely more information will be forthcoming later this year as Masters and the Regina administration solidify some of the details.
If she manages to get this done, then I might actually have to agree with you. I'm skeptical though. A project like that would certainly be good for our local trades.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 9:52 PM

That was the old HSBC bank,they moved to the old Canada Trust building. The one with the white geese statue in front.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 11:14 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchedmofu View Post
That was the old HSBC bank,they moved to the old Canada Trust building. The one with the white geese statue in front.
You mean Conexus Plaza? Because that's the one with the white geese statue.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
You mean Conexus Plaza? Because that's the one with the white geese statue.
It was previously the Canada Trust building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 12:07 AM

The building at 11th Avenue and Hamilton Street was originally the Pioneer Trust Building. Their sign was on the top of the building for a very short time before the business collapsed (bankruptcy) in 1985. At the time, it was the "largest financial failure in Saskatchewan's history". I have attached a link to the story from Macleans's magazine, if you want to read about Pioneer's demise.

After Pioneer Trust, it became the Canada Trust Building, and then Conexus. I'm curious if an illuminated HSBC logo will go on top of this building.

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/...ow-for-pioneer

As for the signage removed from the top of Hill Tower I, I have a feeling that they will be replacing it with glass to match the rest of the building. Harvard has changed those signs a few times as well, from Continental Bank, to Lloyd's Bank, to HSBC, and now, nothing. The three openings were designed to be the size of six of the glass panels (per sign) used on the towers, in case they decided to no longer have signs up there, as is now the case. They have painted the steelwork dark gray just so the absence of any signs isn't as noticeable on first glance, or from a distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan