HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 1:26 PM

the next setback has started

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 1:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It's a skyscraperpage party!!!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 3:13 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

Too Big to Fail, But Not Too Big to Bail Out Other Banks
JPMorgan has dominated the financial world since, well, J.P. Morgan.

ByMax Abelson and Hannah Levitt+Follow
May 4, 2023

Quote:
To call JPMorgan Chase & Co. merely the biggest bank in the US doesn’t do justice to a scale that’s been boggling minds for a century.

Before it bought First Republic Bank on May 1, JPMorgan had a balance sheet that totaled $3.7 trillion, and it had more than 10% of US deposits. Before the bank purchased most of Washington Mutual, whose 2008 collapse is still US history’s largest, it took over Bear Stearns, Bank One and Chase Manhattan, which had merged with Chemical, which had merged with Manufacturers Hanover.

And long before all that—and before regulation essentially forced investment bankers to spin out what became Morgan Stanley during the Great Depression—Supreme Court Justice-to-be Louis Brandeis had a hard time grasping JPMorgan’s size. The bank and two rivals were “dominated by a genius in combination,” he wrote in a 1914 book. He cited a congressional tally of their corporate connections that topped $22 billion, which at that time was more than the value of the property in all the states west of the Mississippi.

What would Brandeis say now? There are other ways to measure corporate heft and power—profit, market value, political connections—but by balance sheet, JPMorgan drastically overshadows rivals. If you’re tempted to compare it to BlackRock Inc., remember that the money manager’s $9 trillion of assets are in funds it oversees for clients. JPMorgan, by comparison, finances the world (and has an asset management operation that’s itself about a third the size of BlackRock). And it processes more than $5 trillion of payments a day. You can think of it as an empire all its own. Bloomberg Opinion columnist John Authers goes further, calling Jamie Dimon the sun around which the financial system revolves and describing JPMorgan as a kind of public utility, big enough for the government itself to depend on.
Quote:
On Park Avenue, a couple of blocks south of a First Republic outpost, JPMorgan has been putting up a skyscraper that will occupy a full city block. It’s going up on the spot where the bank’s last headquarters stood. Dimon’s move to knock it down made it one of the tallest structures ever demolished voluntarily. The tower that’s replacing it will be one of the tallest in New York. The big get eaten by the bigger.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 8:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

JPMorgan Chase banks on its new HQ being 'a destination'

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/03/11737...-a-destination

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 9:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
JPMorgan Chase banks on its new HQ being 'a destination'

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/03/11737...-a-destination

Quote:
JPMorgan is focused on attracting workers, but also on making a statement - building something that will stand out in one of the most recognizable skylines in the world.
Getting harder and harder to do. This will be a gorgeous building though, a new icon.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 3:19 PM

In an ideal world it would be swapped out with Vandy so to get as much love it deserves.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 3:29 AM
New Yorker for life

MAY 5, 2023

Tracking "diamonds" in the diamond district...

I know the bracing will be covered, but I kinda like the contrast for now...

Piece by piece...

Video Link

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
MAY 5, 2023

I know the bracing will be covered, but I kinda like the contrast for now...
Is the bracing cladding the same bronze material used on the columns?

I too like the contrast right now. It will look striking on the higher floor before it gets covered. I almost think the silver would be the better choice.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 5:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Is the bracing cladding the same bronze material used on the columns?
Yes

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 12:59 AM

are the braces gonna be lit up by leds at night? that would look cool

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 1:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
i think so

via nyy

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 6:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
Renderings seem to imply all of the columns will be lit, but it’s hard to know for sure. I would be surprised if they weren’t. This is JPMC’s big splash on the skyline.

Anyway, the brighter contrast would stand out more from a distance during the day, but an excellent tower either way.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 7:03 PM

All of that column and bracing lighting is gonna look ridiculously good at night if done well. Can't wait for the look up Park Avenue at night.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 7:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm probably in the minority but I would prefer the expressed structure NOT to be lit up. Let the subtle night glow from interior lighting show off the diagonal bracing, I don't think it needs anything else to be stunning and quite frankly I think lighting it to the degree those renderings suggest make it look like a scissor lift or something on the skyline and I find it quite tacky. But again, I'm probably in the minority.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 8:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I'm probably in the minority but I would prefer the expressed structure NOT to be lit up. Let the subtle night glow from interior lighting show off the diagonal bracing, I don't think it needs anything else to be stunning and quite frankly I think lighting it to the degree those renderings suggest make it look like a scissor lift or something on the skyline and I find it quite tacky. But again, I'm probably in the minority.
I agree. New York doesn't need to look like Shanghai. It needs to look like New York.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 9:25 PM

^ Which doesn't mean anything. New York doesn't look like it did ten years ago. And that New York doesn't look like the decade before it. And so on.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 9:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Oh please. Its not statement about change. Its a statement about taste.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
If you want to tell yourself that. But looking like "New York" doesn't mean anything and it never has. Nor does looking like Shanghai or any other city. These are very large cities, with many different styles. Some right by each other, some very far apart. They don't look like anything in particular.

Wdym by taste in regards to this building? The renderings look fantastic and it would look worse in the night without the lighting. Also, taking out lighting doesn't make it look "more like New York", because again that doesn't mean anything.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 7:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Since you didn't understand what I meant, please let me make it more clear. (And I'm sorry I didn't do so in the first place.) New York has very few buildings that are lit up at night, and those that are don't do so by simply placing LEDs along the edges of their buildings, or have giant lit up video screens (aside from Times Square, of course). New York's skyline is iconic, and its because of the multitude of buildings, many of which are residential. Residentials generally aren't lit up at night (thank the universe) because doing so would make it unpleasant for their residents. For that and other reasons, the New York skyline consists of buildings of many shapes and a few colors. The skyline at night is very "New York" in that it is composed of thousands of tall buildings and all the lights shining from inside to create a sort of galaxy of man-made stars (see posts #3631 and 3632). It has been this way for over a century and was the first skyline to do so as it was the first major skyline in the world. So as a result it has de-facto defined itself as such. It is instantly recognizable by almost anyone in the world and has been so for over a century. New York absolutely, unequivocally looks like New York.

Now how that relates to this building: I like this building; I don't love it. But it fits well with the "New York" look of the skyline. If the diamonds light up, so be it. It's not like the whole thing will be lit up with neon or LEDs. The diamonds will be accents, and that's fine. They'll add something to the skyline, not stand out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:06 PM
New Yorker for life

New Yorks’s skyline has long been known for being bright at night, and of course, you need only look at 30 Rock to see a building completely illuminated.

That being said, this building is by design a very “New York” building, and no lighting will change it. There aren’t a lot of buildings in the city with cross bracing either. Doesn’t take away from it.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...oto/1488061502

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction