Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:47 PM

Irish single ancestry

Boston MSA 346,082 7.1%
Philadelphia MSA 278,901 4.5%

Italian single ancestry

Boston MSA 193,966 4%
Philadelphia MSA 252,383 4%

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 6:27 PM

Both are about equally Italian. But Boston is more Irish than Philadelphia is, and that's especially true for single ancestry Irish. And the size difference between Irish and Italian populations is quite a bit bigger in Boston.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 6:53 PM

Not Boston or Philly but I work for the City University of New York and interestingly Italian-Americans have been a protected class since 1976: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/n...5italians.html

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Rocky cemented (South) Philly's reputation for being Italian.
Rocky was from Kensington, not South Philly.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think Boston is WASPy, at all. It might have things associated with WASPs (Ivy League, prep schools, Eastern establishment) but the share of actual WASPs is probably tiny. Philly is probably more WASPy and less overtly ethnic, especially in the sprawl. The Main Line strikes me as more WASP than Wellesley or Weston. Boston's South and North Shore feel pretty overtly ethnic, kinda like Long Island. I don't think Philly has quite as much of that.

It's not tiny - there's more British ancestry than Italian in the area.

But if you include the large number of German ancestry (who aren't "white ethnic") in Philadelphia, it would (probably) come out as the more "white Protestant" or "non-ethnic" region. In Pennsylvania many can trace their German ancestry back to colonial times, so they're very much part of the "old stock" population. In New England meanwhile the colonial population was virtually all English.

I suspect Boston is more white Catholic because in addition to the Irish and Italians there's also French Canadian and Portuguese populations that aren't present in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 11:37 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
It's not tiny - there's more British ancestry than Italian in the area.
American Community Survey isn't generating tabular data, but I remember seeing that Boston had disproportionately larger numbers of people claiming English and Scottish ancestry at the CSA level. It has by far the largest share oof English of the major metros (NYC, LA, Chicago, DC-Baltimore, Bay Area, Boston, DFW, Philly, Houston, Atlanta, Miami). In the most literal sense, it could be said that Boston is the most WASPy metro, but a good amount of those claiming English ancestry probably assimilated into the Catholic culture.

Quote:
But if you include the large number of German ancestry (who aren't "white ethnic") in Philadelphia, it would (probably) come out as the more "white Protestant" or "non-ethnic" region. In Pennsylvania many can trace their German ancestry back to colonial times, so they're very much part of the "old stock" population. In New England meanwhile the colonial population was virtually all English.
On Philadelphia and German Catholics...

Quote:
By the 1780s, half of Philadelphia's Catholic population was German, and they asked permission of John Carroll, the Apostolic Prefect of the United States, to build their own church. Holy Trinity Church was founded in 1784 by German-speaking Catholics, and in 1788, Carroll authorized it as a national parish for Germans. It was the first national parish for any ethnicity in the United States, and was the third parish established in the city of Philadelphia, predating the establishment of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_T..._(Philadelphia)

Quote:
The first company of emigrants left Germany in the year 1683, and arrived in Philadelphia in October of that year, they were Mennonites from Crefeld under the leadership of Francis Daniel Pastorius. The leader tells us of one of his servants who was a " Romanist " giving us the record that there was a Catholic at the founding of Germantown. The settlers continued to come in small parties and soon made Germantown a flourishing centre. This settlement is generally accepted as the first German settlement in America, though there were some German Protestants among the Huguenots when they settled Port Royal, South Carolina, in 1562.

Nevertheless, the Germans flocked to this country in great numbers. Many of these were too poor to pay the passage; others were fleeced by unprincipled "Newlanders " and by avaricious ship captains. To enable these to pay their passage a system of "redemption" was instituted by which the new immigrants were sold off to the colonists and bound to serve a number of years until the debt was paid. The immigrants thus sold were called "redemptioners." The system was applied extensively to the German colonists.

Many German Catholics also came to America as redemptioners and servants. Their names do not, therefore, appear in the early records, though some of them later became quite prominent. Many a redemptioner saved his earnings and, after the time of his service was ended, bought land and became prosperous. German immigration was especially large in Pennsylvania, so large in fact that the authorities feared the colony would lose its English character. In the early Church records we find many German names, and reports (between the years 1740-1760) show that the German Catholics outnumbered their English-speaking brethren.

Once a settlement had been made the Germans flocked to this country and many of these were Catholics. In fact at the beginning of the American Revolution the German Catholics outnumbered the coreligionists among the English in many localities. It was because of their number that Father Joseph Greaton, S.J., who was in charge of the first Catholic church in Philadelphia, St. Joseph's, applied to his Provincial for some German-speaking priests to care for their countrymen. Other priests also lamented their inability to care for the German element in their flocks. In 1741 the first German priests arrived in the English colonies. Father Theodore Schnieder, S.J., a Bavarian, "a man of much learning and great zeal, of great dexterity in business, of consummate prudence and undaunted magnanimity", was the pioneer among his countrymen in Pennsylvania. Before coming to America he had been professor of philosophy and polemics at Liege and later Rector Magnifiais of the University of Heidelberg. He made Goshenhoppen, the present Bally in Berks County, his headquarters and here he began his mission work organizing a number of mission stations in the eastern counties and founding several parishes. His extensive travels through the country helped much toward keeping the Faith alive among his countrymen. The tract of land belonging to the mission at Goshenhoppen comprised 373 acres and 100 perches and was bought by Father Greaton from Richard and Thomas Penn for 57 pounds, 18 shillings, 3 pence. In 1747 Father Neale bought an additional tract of 122 acres. This land was parceled out in lots, the sum realized being used for the support of the Church in other parts of the Province. Many Catholics were drawn to this place and soon a flourishing village sprang up about the church.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/44208643?seq=14

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 11:59 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

More:

Quote:
The new Catholic Heritage Archive project will bring researchers to Catholic records that were once difficult (if not impossible) to find. The Philadelphia archdiocese was one of the previously “close to the vest” units that did not allow researchers free access to records, so the fact that its records are the first of Findmypast’s US Catholic records to go online is great boost for researchers’ access—and a sign that more elusive Catholic records will soon be digitized.

This project is especially useful to researchers with German heritage, as many German immigrants had a strong Catholic identity. By the end of the nineteenth century, for example, Philadelphia had at least five German “national” parishes that overlaid the normal geographic boundaries of Catholic parishes. Findmypast currently has records from two of these parishes (St. Aloysius and St. Ludwig) online in the Catholic Heritage Archive, and researchers can expect more relevant records to be published as records from more cities are added to the archive.

The baptisms, marriages and burials all are rich in genealogical information, and they’re key to determining where your ancestors came from in Germany. The records usually give the principals’ birthplaces, although foreign locations usually refer to German states such as Bavaria or Baden rather than actual villages within those states.
https://familytreemagazine.com/blog/...chives-german/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 12:01 AM

English ancestry

Atlanta 10%
Boston 10.2%
Chicago 5.1%
Dallas 9.4%
Houston 6.8%
Los Angeles 4.6%
Miami 3.3%
New York 3.1%
Philadelphia 7.8%
San Francisco 7.2%
Washington 8.6%

American ancestry

Atlanta 6.5%
Boston 3.1%
Chicago 2.5%
Dallas 5.1%
Houston 3.5%
Los Angeles 3.3%
Miami 6%
New York 3.9%
Philadelphia 3.2%
San Francisco 2.2%
Washington 3.5%

Last edited by Docere; Mar 20, 2023 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 12:12 AM

Most common ancestry group:

Atlanta English (10%)
Boston Irish (19.4%)
Chicago German (13.7%)
Dallas English (9.4%)
Houston German (6.9%)*
Los Angeles German (5.2%)*
Miami American (6%)
New York Italian (11%)
Philadelphia Irish (16.6%)
San Francisco English (7.2%)
Washington German (9.5%)*

* English + American higher

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:47 PM

Is the term "WASP" really used outside the Northeast?

It seems to mainly used in places where there's stronger ethnic identities and distinctions among whites.

No need to use the term in say, Atlanta, Charlotte or Nashville where the majority of whites meet the description.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:52 PM

My sense is that it's only commonly cited in the Northeast. For whatever reason, whites are more overtly ethnic and identify more with heritage group, in much of the Northeast corridor.

Also, there are tons of Jews and Catholics, so legacy mainline Protestants are more distinct and most WASP stereotypes somewhat overlap with legacy Eastern Establishment stereotypes.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
On Philadelphia and German Catholics...
Germans may very well have been half the Catholic population of Philadelphia in the 1780s but there were very few Catholics in colonial America. The colonial era German population was overwhelmingly Protestant; significant German Catholic immigration didn't occur until the mid-19th century.

Obviously there are some German Catholics, but I'm quite certain the majority of Protestant lineage. And German Catholics are less common in Pennsylvania than in the Midwest I suspect, given that more trace their roots to colonial times.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:42 PM

I think the difference in perception might be tied to the famous ethnic neighborhoods of each city. South Philly is pretty famously depicted in media as an Italian ethnic neighborhood, and I can't think of any Irish neighborhood there. Southie in Boston is similarly presented as an Irish ethnic neighborhood. While Boston does have a notable Little Italy in the North End, I think Southie and Irish culture is more prominently shared in film and tv.

Personally, I associate Boston with both Irish and Italians, and Philly with Italians and Blacks. I associate Pennsylvania with Germans, but I tend to think of Philly as being a bit of an outlier in PA. I don't think of either as being big hubs of Jews, even though large communities exist in both places.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:50 PM

Seems like I should dip in here and note my whole mom's side of the family was from Philly.

Maternal grandmother's family was Catholic German (early 20th century migrants from Austria-Hungary), and from Port Richmond (which is more well-known as a historic polish enclave).

My maternal grandfather was Irish (mostly, he was 1/4th Swedish, but he basically married into the Irish Catholic community). His family lived all over the city. He was born in East Falls, lived in Kensington, and his parents last residence was a neighborhood called Swampoodle, which is now a fairly bad, heavily black section of North Philly.

I think part of the reason why Philly is better known for Italian than Irish is that unlike Boston, it wasn't really revitalized by continual Irish migration, and some major Italian enclaves held out during the white flight era.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:49 PM

What's remarkable too is that Philadelphia didn't elect its first Irish Catholic mayor until the 1960s. It was run by WASP Republicans before then.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
What's remarkable too is that Philadelphia didn't elect its first Irish Catholic mayor until the 1960s. It was run by WASP Republicans before then.
There's a funny family story about this.

My grandfather's family were (as Catholics in Philly) die-hard Democrats even before FDR. Some time during the Great Depression, someone in the Republican machine got a family member a job, and expected the family to vote for him in turn.

My grandfather's grandfather went into vote first. He came out, shaking his head and said "I can't do it, I can't vote for a fucking Republican! We're all voting for the Democrats again."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Is the term "WASP" really used outside the Northeast?

It seems to mainly used in places where there's stronger ethnic identities and distinctions among whites.

No need to use the term in say, Atlanta, Charlotte or Nashville where the majority of whites meet the description.
Nashville is most certainly not WASPy by definition. Southern Baptists are not WASPs. Evangelicals are not WASPs. WASPs are mainline Protestants.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think part of the reason why Philly is better known for Italian than Irish is that unlike Boston, it wasn't really revitalized by continual Irish migration, and some major Italian enclaves held out during the white flight era.
I would argue its because Philly has the largest intact Italian American neighborhood remaining in the country. South Philadelphia is a vast swath of the city, and while yes, pockets of it have become more Mexican, Cambodian, and Black, it is still feels Italian. It is also a functioning neighborhood where people actually live and work and not Disneyfied in anyway (ex. the North End in Boston or Nolita in Manhattan).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:46 PM

Boston's NBA team being named the Celtics probably helps the average person associate Boston with the Irish. They're the second winningest team in NBA history, so they're very prominent among people who watch basketball. The mascot is a little leprechaun who wears a vest with clovers lol. Not exactly subtle.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Nashville is most certainly not WASPy by definition. Southern Baptists are not WASPs. Evangelicals are not WASPs. WASPs are mainline Protestants.
The term is redundant there as there are no meaningful ethnic distinctions among whites in Nashville. The vast majority are white Southerners of British ancestry and Protestant religion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions