HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 4:31 PM

Went by yesterday, saw a lot of action deep in the ground but not quite up to grade yet. It's nice to see it coming along.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 7:09 PM
surely you agree with me

Great news. I’m excited to see Osborne itself get bulked up. Need to get rid of the fire hall now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Great news. I’m excited to see Osborne itself get bulked up. Need to get rid of the fire hall now.
Having that fire hall there actually adds to the allowable density. Also it raises land values as people feel safer when they have a close fire hall.

Where do you think they are going to shove a new hall? Pull something stupid like the portage Avenue one where the old hall 3 blocks away was fine. But let's spend millions on a stupidly placed hall in what is technically part of an intersection. The older Osborne one down south from the fire hall is just a ambulance hall now. So the nearest is actually quite far. That hall in Osborne serves also Kingston Row area of St Vital when the St vital one on St Mary's is busy elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Having that fire hall there actually adds to the allowable density. Also it raises land values as people feel safer when they have a close fire hall.

Where do you think they are going to shove a new hall? Pull something stupid like the portage Avenue one where the old hall 3 blocks away was fine. But let's spend millions on a stupidly placed hall in what is technically part of an intersection. The older Osborne one down south from the fire hall is just a ambulance hall now. So the nearest is actually quite far. That hall in Osborne serves also Kingston Row area of St Vital when the St vital one on St Mary's is busy elsewhere.
Could retrofit the ambo station temporarily to house fire apparatus and build a new hall in its current spot with housing up top and commercial along the Stradbrook side.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 11:59 AM

^ Exactly. Victoria just built something like that.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 4:29 PM
surely you agree with me

I’d love to see a study showing property values rise with proximity to fire halls.

Pretty sure there’s lots of space in Osborne Village for a fire hall that isn’t on a major intersection. How about closer to Donald Street.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 5:07 PM

I thought they were putting the new fire hall on Mulvey E? Which would be closer to Kingston Row, and avoid Confusion Corner going south. The city is selling some of the Mulvey land, but not all of it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 7:19 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’d love to see a study showing property values rise with proximity to fire halls.

Pretty sure there’s lots of space in Osborne Village for a fire hall that isn’t on a major intersection. How about closer to Donald Street.
I know, personally, that was 100% of my decision when I bought my place! I made sure to wait years for a spot beside a 24/7 fire hall to open up. The random sirens blasting beside my window at all hours of the day is a small price to pay for the... ummmm.... the benefits of.... proximity? I have a team of lawyers working around the clock to force the city to increase property taxes near firehalls knowing how in demand they are.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:42 AM

Still looks like zero progress on this. Anyone hear anything recently?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Still looks like zero progress on this. Anyone hear anything recently?
I live across/down the street. It's been quiet since the giant snowfall (they have a LOT of snow to clear out from the pit), but prior to that there was heavy machinery on site most days and the staging site across the street seemed reasonably busy. They've done excavation, driven piles, and have done a bunch of utility work.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 6:24 PM

I don't know if the firehall noise is that bad to impact values.

Houses on Kimberly Ave sell fast and there is the old EK firehall in the 600 Block so there are always fire trucks heading west to get to Henderson Highway or east to hit Gateway/Raleigh.

Immanuel United Church has sold some of their excess land fronting Kimberly to a developer to do a multi family development almost right across from that station.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
I live across/down the street. It's been quiet since the giant snowfall (they have a LOT of snow to clear out from the pit), but prior to that there was heavy machinery on site most days and the staging site across the street seemed reasonably busy. They've done excavation, driven piles, and have done a bunch of utility work.
Thank you!

Admittedly yesterday was the first time I’d driven by in a few months with a keen eye so the snow must’ve just thrown my eye off.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:17 PM

Activity is picking up here again. The north wall of the pit is wrapped in heated tents, and it looks like the other walls have newly-installed shoring.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 11:08 PM

Walked by today and took a shot:

Click to enlarge

Last edited by lbnevs; Mar 21, 2022 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 4:26 PM

They've started pouring concrete. I'm really glad there's visible progress being made again. I think this thing was originally advertising to be open for Summer 2021.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
They've started pouring concrete. I'm really glad there's visible progress being made again. I think this thing was originally advertising to be open for Summer 2021.
Their webpage is saying Spring 2023 but that seems like a stretch. It's been two years since they tore down the hotel and it's still just a pit. At least there's a full crew now, it's been a couple of guys for most of the winter.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 6:37 PM
What could go wrong?

At 6 storeys, if they have a full crew working (which they haven't in the past) they should have it done by next spring.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
At 6 storeys, if they have a full crew working (which they haven't in the past) they should have it done by next spring.
looks like they're pouring concrete:

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:13 AM

The core of the more easterly building looks to be about flush with grade now. Progress!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
The core of the more easterly building looks to be about flush with grade now. Progress!
Nice thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan