HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
jeta need to get some sort of goalie back even if its pokey reddick junior.
I'm really not looking fwd to having a Pavelec II in net as a starter.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm really not looking fwd to having a Pavelec II in net as a starter.
He did great business for the st James olive garden loved to load up on breadsticks

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:50 PM

Losing Hellebuyck is terrible. He's the only reason the team has been in contention at all. Dubois and Scheifele are replaceable. Vezina quality goalie is just not available and he should fetch top dollar even with the contract situation. Teams will pay for the opportunity to sign him to 8 years.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 9:25 PM
surely you agree with me

But if he has told them he’s not going to sign an extension, they need to trade him now. Losing him is bad. Losing him for nothing is way worse.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 9:39 PM

Trade em all before the draft if possible.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 9:40 PM

They gotta aim at getting players from Western Canada as those are the only ones who don't have an issue playing in Winnipeg. Vegas model should be ours

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Trade em all before the draft if possible.
Honestly. This. Their value to the Jets is only going to drop. In hindsight it was probably a mistake to not dump Scheif or Dubois last offseason... it's not like the Jets were loading up for a playoff run. Clean house and get while the getting's still kind of, sort of good.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 6:32 PM

Looking like Helly refusing to sign extension now too so complete rebuild has to take place weather Chipman and Chevy like it or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...465e768ec&ei=8

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Looking like Helly refusing to sign extension now too so complete rebuild has to take place weather Chipman and Chevy like it or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl...465e768ec&ei=8
Yeah, not surprising. We knew this was coming - Helly was not gonna sign an extension unless the team was legit competing for a Stanley Cup which they won't.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:27 PM

I just hope they trade for players from Western Canada so we can avoid all this drama every year of players not wanting to be here. Need a Vegas model. Morrissey and Lowry are the example of players that fit this market.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
I just hope they trade for players from Western Canada so we can avoid all this drama every year of players not wanting to be here. Need a Vegas model. Morrissey and Lowry are the example of players that fit this market.
What makes you think NHL players from Western Canada won't want to be traded away from Winnipeg, when the time comes. Evander Kane was our best Western Canadian player in the early 2010's, and he requested a trade every year.

Ladd demanded too much, and we dodged a bullet, by not giving into his financial demands. Players from the prairies may be less likely to want out of Winnipeg, but the difference isn't that big.

At the end of the day, players don't want to play in Winnipeg, since it is a small market Canadian city, with extreme weather, and high taxes.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 9:58 PM

I’m looking forward to the rebuild. Surprised Scheif and Wheels haven’t said anything but ship them out too.

While we’re at it, retain 50% salary on as many players as possible to get highest amount of assets and let’s aim for a top pick next year.

Cheers too tanking everyone (we should’ve tanked this year but oh well)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 11:32 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Honestly. This. Their value to the Jets is only going to drop. In hindsight it was probably a mistake to not dump Scheif or Dubois last offseason... it's not like the Jets were loading up for a playoff run. Clean house and get while the getting's still kind of, sort of good.
its easy to say they should tank and rebuild, but when you are the smallest market in pro sports, the least attractive city to free agents, and you have the second worst attendance in the league, the prospect of having a bad team for years in a row might be catastrophic.

I hear a lot of Winnipeg hockey fans yelling 'tear it all down', but they are the same people who no longer have shares in season tickets, or find every excuse in the book not to go to games.

They were loading up for a playoff run last off season....do we forget they were in first place at New Year's.

My prediction is Scheifele re-signs....honestly, they need him to.....he's an elite offensive player and if they aren't doing a full tear down, he is the one piece they need to keep....as has been said here....first line centremen who score a point per game don't grow on trees.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 11, 2023 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 11:51 PM
Community Guy

As an Oiler season ticket holder and fan, this is the most succinct comment yet.

'I hear a lot of Winnipeg hockey fans yelling 'tear it all down', but they are the same people who no longer have shares in season tickets, or find every excuse in the book not to go to games.'

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:17 PM

I would saw look for players from MB, SK, ND, SD, MN, WI. We have had some good luck with MN players like Wheeler and Buff.

You could also consider talking with draft prospects coming from teams like the Wheat Kings and Ice based in the same general geographic reason to get a sense on if they might have long term potential in this market.

Personally I have never been to the city but if Pittsburgh can attract top tier talent in the league I think a well run team off the ice is going to be a place players want to be.

Different caliber of players but the Bombers used to have the same sort of challenges getting talent to come here. They cleaned up how the organization is run and players are now wanting to be here. I think the Jets can do the same but there are some off ice roles they need "maintenance" first.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:20 PM

Michigan players don't seem to like it here.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:22 PM

Season ticket holder for 9 years now. I'm not necessarily into tanking. But if the players don't want to re-sign here, they need to be traded ASAP. If that means a mini-rebuild, then so be it.

The Jets will not go full tank and re-build as they have some decent player stock still signed for medium to long term deals. I can see them going on in perpetuity in this mediocre hockey world, much as the original NHL Jets did. Unless they end up in a spot where tehy have no long term contracts left, which would just be really bad player management.

I don't think anyone wants to trade Hellebuyck. That is ridiculous. But if you lose him to FA, trade him now. Trade Dubois. Trade Scheifele. Trade anyone else who will not sign here.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
As an Oiler season ticket holder and fan, this is the most succinct comment yet.

'I hear a lot of Winnipeg hockey fans yelling 'tear it all down', but they are the same people who no longer have shares in season tickets, or find every excuse in the book not to go to games.'
I no longer have a share in season tickets, I go to about half a dozen games per year in person. I guess in Edmonton terms that makes me a tier 2 fan

What it comes down to though, is this: you have to ask yourself what exactly is the goal here? Is the goal to simply make the playoffs, or to win the Stanley Cup?

Because if the goal is to do nothing more than compete for a wild card spot every season and hope that over a 10 year stretch you have more 7th and 8th place finishes than 9th and 10th place finishes, well, then that is a waste of everyone's time. Let's face it, early-season mirages aside, this current Jets core has peaked. It won't get any better with this bunch. They're only getting only older, more bitter and more disenchanted. We're seeing that manifesting itself now with trade demands, younger players feeling marginalized, a lack of any sort of positive track record.

Look at the Oilers... you guys have a top-notch team right now whose best days are still ahead of it. Would you have gotten there without a few lean years that allowed you to stock the cupboards?

If the Jets are in a situation where they are letting the accountants drive the bus here and determine player personnel decisions on the basis that it will help them move some more P6 and P7 upper deck tickets to keep the $52 billion dollar man happy, then they are already doomed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:28 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
What makes you think NHL players from Western Canada won't want to be traded away from Winnipeg, when the time comes. Evander Kane was our best Western Canadian player in the early 2010's, and he requested a trade every year.

Ladd demanded too much, and we dodged a bullet, by not giving into his financial demands. Players from the prairies may be less likely to want out of Winnipeg, but the difference isn't that big.

At the end of the day, players don't want to play in Winnipeg, since it is a small market Canadian city, with extreme weather, and high taxes.
It's interesting you should say that, because if you create a winning culture, the rest isn't going to matter. My boss' husband knows Chipman well and he was telling me that the Jets get perks no other team in the NHL offers like a high stipend for away games and a personal chef. Despite having a stipend to go out, many of them still rely on the personal chef. All of this to say that I was quite surprised what the organization offered their players and it really speaks to how the Jets organization tries to attract players with different incentives.

I always look at the model Green Bay had- they had no problems attracting talent because of the support and a winning culture. If the Jets can regain that, attracting talent should be a lot simpler.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
It's interesting you should say that, because if you create a winning culture, the rest isn't going to matter. My boss' husband knows Chipman well and he was telling me that the Jets get perks no other team in the NHL offers like a high stipend for away games and a personal chef. Despite having a stipend to go out, many of them still rely on the personal chef. All of this to say that I was quite surprised what the organization offered their players and it really speaks to how the Jets organization tries to attract players with different incentives.

I always look at the model Green Bay had- they had no problems attracting talent because of the support and a winning culture. If the Jets can regain that, attracting talent should be a lot simpler.
Wouldn't the stipend for away games for players be covered by the NHLPA collective agreement? And many other teams have personal chefs for the their players - Montreal, Vancouver, Boston, Toronto, etc. The Jets are not unique in offering this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan