HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:16 AM
heavy user of walkability

as seen from Chase Center

and thanks Pedestrian, let me see about a new thread. I've never created one myself

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I don't know much about it but remember it has to be 120 ft or more to get a thread in the various "highrise" sections under forum rules. I do see one tall building in the rendering but don't know if it's part of the project. If not, it could get a thread in the "General Development" section. You could give it one.
"Block 7A will rise 240 feet tall with 277 new units, retail, and an infinity pool. Block 8 will stand 140 feet tall, adding 249 units, an urban farm, and other high-end residential amenities."

https://sfyimby.com/2021/06/potrero-...francisco.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 5:16 PM

new PPP thread

OK, I did create a new thread for the Potrero Power Plant project

I decided to put it in General Development, even though it does contain buildings that meet the threshold for a highrise classification, since the thread is not about any one building specifically

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 7:34 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
OK, I did create a new thread for the Potrero Power Plant project

I decided to put it in General Development, even though it does contain buildings that meet the threshold for a highrise classification, since the thread is not about any one building specifically

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
one question: does anyone know if I need to do anything specific to get the thread to appear at

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...=san+francisco ?

looks like it doesn't yet.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 6:39 AM

Quote:
one question: does anyone know if I need to do anything specific to get the thread to appear at

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...=san+francisco ?

looks like it doesn't yet.
It seems to be there now but you may already know that.

You shouldn't have to do anything (and I assume didn't).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It seems to be there now ...

You shouldn't have to do anything (and I assume didn't).
hm, it isn't for me, even after refreshing and re-loading the page - how strange! but that's good if at least some people see it there, sounds like a cache issue or something.

and right, I haven't done anything.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 4:34 PM

looks like the metal structure in the trench near the corner of the Restoration Hardware building will be for a stairway

they are working on the entranceway at the corner

looks like 22nd St has also been made over a bit. I haven't been able to detect any sign of any new buildings going up here, though. post #9 in this thread made it sound like we should have had four new ones by now. edit: on closer reading, some of the 'new' buildings are rehabs of the existing ones, a couple of which are barely visible on the left in the distance in this pic (but I don't have an idea how far along they are):

Last edited by timbad; Jun 14, 2021 at 5:01 PM. Reason: noted

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:18 PM

adding a few more 'before' pics (some 2016, some 2017) to an earlier post to show the then-and-now contrast...

Quote:
spiffied-up 20th St is still looking good...

... and was open a little further down at its far end than the last time I was there

BEFORE:

Quote:
beyond the current fencing the street doesn't get the fancy cobbles of the accessible portion, but still looks much more civilized than what had been there

BEFORE:

Quote:
from the same spot, looking out toward the Power Plant project site next door

BEFORE:

Quote:
looking back west up 20th

BEFORE:

Quote:
this little side-street off to the north...

BEFORE:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:58 PM

Why no trees? Nothing green?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:35 PM

^ to keep historical context?

there are certainly fairly extensive green spaces planned for various places through the project

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:

from the same spot, looking out toward the Power Plant project site next door

this appears to be the building that will occupy that empty grassy plot

Last edited by timbad; Jul 29, 2021 at 12:45 AM. Reason: fixed pic

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 10:05 AM

the extension of 19th St winds around from Crane Cove Park and connects with 20th St

(seen from 20th)

Restoration Hardware from the back

they are still working on the SE corner of the building, but the curved railing is new

for some reason, scaffolding has gone back up on one side

22nd St

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 6:54 PM

Restoration Hardware's back section was getting a paint job, so maybe we are getting close to this opening finally

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Restoration Hardware's back section was getting a paint job, so maybe we are getting close to this opening finally

Will make a field trip to check out this RH when it opens. Hoping (assuming) that they make this a destination location with a bar and/or restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Will make a field trip to check out this RH when it opens. Hoping (assuming) that they make this a destination location with a bar and/or restaurant.
According to Nibbi's site (construction/contractor) the rear addition is being built to accommodate "future cafe/restaurant". Fingers crossed, RH follows through.

I wonder what the updated calendar is for completion? Seems close to finished, but... who knows.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
According to Nibbi's site (construction/contractor) the rear addition is being built to accommodate "future cafe/restaurant". Fingers crossed, RH follows through.

I wonder what the updated calendar is for completion? Seems close to finished, but... who knows.
looking much closer to done as of this last weekend...

fancy new front door

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post

That would be nice. There's not much other retail or dining running up and down Illinois.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That would be nice. There's not much other retail or dining running up and down Illinois.
Yes they are building a restaurant:

https://sf.eater.com/2022/3/2/229584...-san-francisco

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 6:01 PM

apparently RH opened this week (sorry for the large photos)

Quote:
After six years, RH opens S.F. showroom and restaurant at historic Pier 70

J.K. Dineen
Updated: May 12, 2022 9:32 a.m.

The Palm Court Restaurant

... The showroom will finally open on Thursday, more than six years after plans were first announced.

RH has opened deluxe galleries with restaurants in more than a dozen cities, including New York, Chicago, West Palm Beach, Dallas and Yountville in Napa. The San Francisco restoration of a historic Bethlehem Steel building at Pier 70 is perhaps the most ambitious.

Back in 2016, the 80,000 square-foot 1917 classical revival building, had been vacant for decades and over the years had been looted of some of its architectural ornamentation. Graffiti covered some of the wood-paneled and marble-clad surfaces.

The project restored the building’s circular entryway with a stairway featuring ornamental metal railings, octagonal bronze and glass pendant chandelier, cast stone walls over pink marble wainscoting, herringbone-patterned woods and coffered plaster ceilings. RH built a new spiraling staircase to access levels three and four, with a circular skylight two floors above.

Once the studio of naval architects, the third level is now a 10,000 square foot exhibition space with what RH says is the world’s largest collection of modern furnishings, lighting, textiles and decor created by one brand. At the top of the staircase is a vestibule with retractable glass walls that open up onto a garden overlooking the city and the bay.

Friedman spent years looking for the right San Francisco building. The company worked on a proposal to take over the Palace of Fine Arts, but it turned out the seismic retrofit that the building required would have been prohibitively expensive. They looked at the shed at Pier 28 as well as more typical retail spaces near Union Square.

The Historic Bethlehem Steel Building

At Pier 70 Friedman was attracted to the Bethlehem Steel building’s “balance and symmetry,” bay views and architectural detail. Yet it was somewhat risky, as Pier 70 is far removed from both the luxury shopping in Union Square and the design district around Showplace Square.

At one point a tech company offered RH “a ton of money” to take over the building. Friedman declined. “We did not come out here to make money on a real estate play. We are trying to create a home for our brand in San Francisco,” he said.

Yet the neighborhood has evolved rapidly since RH first committed to Pier 70. Thousands of housing units have popped up to the south in Dogpatch and to the north in Mission Bay. The Golden State Warriors built the Chase Center, about a 15-minute walk from Pier 70. Crane Cove Park, the waterfront open space RH’s building overlooks, has become a regional destination.

The restoration of the historic building is a major milestone in the larger redevelopment at Pier 70, which will eventually include at least 1,100 housing units and as much as 2 million square feet of commercial space. Brookfield Properties, the master developer at Pier 70, has completed phase one of the infrastructure — streets and sidewalks and utilities — as well as the restoration of Building 12, which will eventually become a “maker’s hall” with boutique retail.

San Francisco Business Times reported last month that the next phases of the project have been paused due to the pandemic and construction costs.

Friedman is trying to evoke a bit of old-school San Francisco elegance he caught a glimpse of at the Emporium department store when he was a kid.

“We wanted to build a 1930s San Francisco vibe — a beautiful old-world place where, if you want a night out, you come and eat at the Palm Court,” he said.

In addition to San Francisco, RH has now rehabbed historic buildings in Boston and Chicago, and is working on projects in London, Milan and Paris.

“The only thing that is consistent with these historic buildings is they are going to take three times as long and cost three times as much as you originally think,” he said. “But it’s worth it. To bring great historic architecture back to life is a gift.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development