Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:19 PM
BANNED

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-for-2017.html

Illinois notched record visitor counts for 2017

By Lewis Lazare
– Reporter, Chicago Business Journal

May 15, 2018, 2:29pm

Illinois welcomed a record 114 million visitors to the state in 2017, the Illinois Office of Tourism said today.

The record number of visitors spent $39.5 billion in Illinois last year, a 3 percent (or $1.1 billion) increase year over year.

The 114 million visitor count last year also is 3 percent higher than the total was in 2016, which was also a record.

Interestingly, the 2017 state visitor count includes both business and leisure travelers. In Illinois the leisure count represented a whopping 83 percent of total visitors last year, while business travelers accounted for 17 percent of the total. As has been pointed out repeatedly, business is hurting in Illinois for a variety of reasons, not the least of them the state’s financial quagmire.

Visitor expenditures for goods and services generated $2.95 billion in state

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:38 PM

Looking at the riverwalk on solar's 5th picture just makes me realize how terrible that section was designed. What a waste of space. They could have at least put a fountain in or something. Hopefully they have future plans.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Looking at the riverwalk on solar's 5th picture just makes me realize how terrible that section was designed. What a waste of space. They could have at least put a fountain in or something. Hopefully they have future plans.
I actually like sitting out at that section - it's pretty awesome looking out upon the fork of the river at near water level and just relaxing. It's pretty bare bones, but at least sitting out there is not bad at all. The first time I went out there I thought it would suck but surprisingly it was nice.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:53 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Maybe the Lake St section isn't that bad in person but it does look unfinished for sure and looks slightly embarrassing. It makes this city look 2nd rate having such unfinished high-profile areas go unfinished. And hopefully, it will be before 5 or 20 years from now and more like programmed in the next year or two.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Maybe the Lake St section isn't that bad in person but it does look unfinished for sure and looks slightly embarrassing. It makes this city look 2nd rate having such unfinished high-profile areas go unfinished. And hopefully, it will be before 5 or 20 years from now and more like programmed in the next year or two.
I prefer it this way - enjoyment by people in person should trump the image it presents to those who aren't present.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I prefer it this way - enjoyment by people in person should trump the image it presents to those who aren't present.
I heard Blair Kamin was advocating to have it replaced with this feature to ensure our place as a first-rate global architectural city.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 10:12 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Be it in person or photos I think it lacks a serious amount of imagination to suggest that is anywhere near serving its full potential. Right not it's a stark cement ramp with chain link fencing with a decent suburban grass lawn. Why romanticize it as much more than that.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 10:36 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Be it in person or photos I think it lacks a serious amount of imagination to suggest that is anywhere near serving its full potential. Right not it's a stark cement ramp with chain link fencing with a decent suburban grass lawn. Why romanticize it as much more than that.
They ran out of federal funding that was being used for it and with Trump being Trump we can't expect to get any additional influx of cash. It's better than what it was and hardly even close to the top of the list of things that need to be done. We'll live... It'll be improved eventually, everything in downtown does at some point. Just be happy it got built at all lol

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Maybe that's where the aerial gondola station will go?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:37 PM
1st Ward

Arguably never a more exciting time to be a Chicago skyscraper fan

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Arguably never a more exciting time to be a Chicago skyscraper fan
potentially, yes.

1969 saw the completion of two 800+ footers.

'73-'76 saw the completion of three 800+ footers.

'89-'90 saw the completion of four 800+ footers.

2000 saw the completion of one 800+ footer.

'09-'10 saw the completion of three 800+ footers.

currently, there are three 800 footers U/C with a further seven solid proposals on the drawing boards.

will all 7 of those proposals get built? history teaches us that is pretty unlikely, but even if just half of them can squeak through in the next handful of years, it's gonna be epic!

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 21, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:08 PM

World Tall+Urban conference in Chicago

Skyscraper design,build,finance leaders here May 30-31 for conference and awards. 2018 Tall+Urban Innovation Conference
Attendees are truly global visitors. Good time to show off the developments.
BVic - better be on your A game!

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:07 PM

Does anybody remember, several years ago when the government made an investment in the city during the Obama area. It was related to 3D printing and presumed new area of manufacturing; something like a new age manufacturing incubator. I think it was at Goose Island or something?

What ever happened to all of that?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Does anybody remember, several years ago when the government made an investment in the city during the Obama area. It was related to 3D printing and presumed new area of manufacturing; something like a new age manufacturing incubator. I think it was at Goose Island or something?

What ever happened to all of that?
Isn't this it?

https://www.uilabs.org/what-is-ui-labs/history/

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:05 PM

^Yeah, that’s it. I remember hoping it would help jumpstart some kind of innovation and growth for the city. But you don’t hear anything about it (unlike the tech incubator 1871, which gets a lot of attention).

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:00 PM
The City

Anyone hear the news about how Aldermen (who have nothing better to do since there are too many of them anyhow) want to rename Balbo Dr. after Ida B Wells?

Is anyone going to ask how that can be done when we already have a Wells St?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:47 PM
1st Ward

I'm fine with getting rid of the name Balbo, due to all the fascist connotations, whether they are deserved (he was Mussolini's air force marshall) or not (he was horrified by Mussolini's tilt towards Hitler, and was 'exhiled' because of this), so long as it finally ends all the bickering about it. The only option though should be 7th Street, the former name of Balbo Drive. Do it and more on; pretty sure the city council has much bigger problems to worry about than a WW2 era street name.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:54 AM

There's something about the light in this city, I don't know if its because all the buildings are aligned neatly on a grid, or how far north in the sky the sun gets this time of year, but damn the lighting gets good this time of year. Bvic's shots show it off in its full glory.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
There's something about the light in this city, I don't know if its because all the buildings are aligned neatly on a grid, or how far north in the sky the sun gets this time of year, but damn the lighting gets good this time of year. Bvic's shots show it off in its full glory.
It's the sun angle. We really only get about 3 months of decent, easily photographable light falling on the north faces in summer.

It's a pain when clients want a north-facing property photographed anytime in late August through mid-March. Sometimes you get fleeting slivers of sun hitting the building until this time of year when you get a couple hours after sunrise and before sunset. Can be tricky.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Agree.

Sometimes I wonder if Chicago's high ranking among world skylines has something to do with how the lighting hits our buildings rather than the architecture itself

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest