HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^I can tell you for a fact that is not at all what I've seen here. This is, according to at least the people who were arrested last night, almost entirely people from the Chicagoland area.
My tenants in Little Village reported to me the looting by African American males coming from neighboring areas along Cermak and 26th. Then they called me to tell me "the gangbangers are going crazy". If any of you have been watching some areas have gone up in arms against the rioters. I saw half a dozen videos of Latin Kings beating the shit out of looters and even one of them absolutely destroying a car that was loading up goods at a Walgreens by ramming it with on of their monster trucks. The entire staff of the Cermak Fresh Market on Pualski and Diversey was in the parking lot with baseball bats and shovels and a literal pitchfork after looters attacked the Binnys across the street.

My wife just sent me screen shots of online invitations to attack Lake County and places Like Barrington tonight. It's going to be a blood bath if that happens because now the looters are going to end up in a place where people like to own guns and are much more likely to be racists who would not give two shits about shooting "urban youths" attacking their property. Eventually this is going to stop because communities will just start with the vigilante justice and do stuff like the little village gangs were doing last night. You come for a new pair of sneakers and a TV, we wreck your Chrysler 300.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:10 PM
TL;DR

Yeah almost zero damage in Pilsen here, the neighborhood was out in force last night protecting the businesses on 18th, including (reportedly) Alderman Sigcho. They set up dumpster barricades to stop the looters cars. Much respect to those guys.

The only vandalism I saw was at the shitty drive-thru McDonalds, which... good riddance.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:58 PM
The City

Very disappointed in Lightfoot here. Police accountability is important, but that’s the long game.

The immediate and fundamental job of Government is to protect the public and the public’s property against crime and lawlessness. She failed. In fact, even while asking police to fight off these looters she’s telling people to call 311 if they feel like they’ve been mishandled by the police, effectively throwing her own officers under the bus This is not how you stop marauders and violent rioters.

A Mayor Daley would’ve deployed the resources available to him to prevent it from reaching this point much more swiftly. Overall Lightfoot is still a decent mayor, but she is absolutely the wrong type of person you want running the show right now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 9:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
The Trib really feels like it's targeting more suburban readers (maybe not too surprising as more people live in the suburbs than the city), to the extent that it's often offputting. Especially archsuburbanite John Kass's screeds.
Just because it isn’t a left wing rag like the Chicago Reader doesn’t mean that it’s “targeting” specific readers. The Tribune is pretty balanced, and maybe people should pay more attention to it than to their buddies on Twitter.

John Kass is literally the most outspoken, Trumpian columnist for the Tribune. I’m glad he gets a voice. But so does this lady:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...4qq-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^Did anything happen to One Chicago last night? River North was a complete shit show and I hope its ok.
There was a lot of tagging, broken storefronts, and a few car fires but RN is looking surprisingly tidy (but desolate) right now.
I walked by the One Chicago site several times since Saturday and nothing appears out of the ordinary.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
There was a lot of tagging, broken storefronts, and a few car fires but RN is looking surprisingly tidy (but desolate) right now.
I walked by the One Chicago site several times since Saturday and nothing appears out of the ordinary.
Can concur. OCS fine. A ton of businesses looted and a LOT of tagging. Sunday was drills and circulars saws all day from boarding up many businesses that hadn't been yet boarded up from the pandemic or were looted. Pics incoming.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:43 PM

out of town for the weekend, anyone tell me how bad it was here compared to other major cities?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
out of town for the weekend, anyone tell me how bad it was here compared to other major cities?
news makes it look pretty bad on south and west sides, after the downtown area was hit so hard

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:05 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Very disappointed in Lightfoot here. Police accountability is important, but that’s the long game.

The immediate and fundamental job of Government is to protect the public and the public’s property against crime and lawlessness. She failed. In fact, even while asking police to fight off these looters she’s telling people to call 311 if they feel like they’ve been mishandled by the police, effectively throwing her own officers under the bus This is not how you stop marauders and violent rioters.

A Mayor Daley would’ve deployed the resources available to him to prevent it from reaching this point much more swiftly. Overall Lightfoot is still a decent mayor, but she is absolutely the wrong type of person you want running the show right now.
I'm not sure Daley's response to 1968 riots is something we'd want to emulate. I found it strange the the police mostly ignored the looters and surrounded the peaceful protestors instead, for the most part. I'm not suggesting large-scale arrests---mere presence is enough to scatter most looters. There is probably a reasonable explanation, but it's not a good look... especially the looting on 35th street a block away from the CPD HQ.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
My tenants in Little Village reported to me the looting by African American males coming from neighboring areas along Cermak and 26th. Then they called me to tell me "the gangbangers are going crazy". If any of you have been watching some areas have gone up in arms against the rioters. I saw half a dozen videos of Latin Kings beating the shit out of looters and even one of them absolutely destroying a car that was loading up goods at a Walgreens by ramming it with on of their monster trucks. The entire staff of the Cermak Fresh Market on Pualski and Diversey was in the parking lot with baseball bats and shovels and a literal pitchfork after looters attacked the Binnys across the street.

My wife just sent me screen shots of online invitations to attack Lake County and places Like Barrington tonight. It's going to be a blood bath if that happens because now the looters are going to end up in a place where people like to own guns and are much more likely to be racists who would not give two shits about shooting "urban youths" attacking their property. Eventually this is going to stop because communities will just start with the vigilante justice and do stuff like the little village gangs were doing last night. You come for a new pair of sneakers and a TV, we wreck your Chrysler 300.
I heard about this. I don't usually praise gangs, but good for them.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 12:10 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I heard about this. I don't usually praise gangs, but good for them.
Reading up on the 1968 riots, south-side gangs also apparently prevented the large-scale devastation of the south side commercial corridors. At least according to Wikipedia (haven't tried to verify).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:40 AM

It is very hard to stop 5 to 10 cars of people driving around just texting what to target next...they can go anywhere and hit quickly. The city simply does not have the resources to cover everywhere. And when they did they just drove to the neighboring suburbs and were and still are doing it there.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:47 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

^ I hope they were at least able to get plates

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
^ I hope they were at least able to get plates
Supposedly many of the looters have removed their plates, since they know police are tied up with other things and aren't doing traffic duty.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:36 PM

What about nationally? I did a quick search through the forum...didn't see anything.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
What about nationally? I did a quick search through the forum...didn't see anything.
If we are limiting this to only buildings that broke ground since 1/1/20, the only I know of is 6 X Guadelupe in Austin, TX. At 66 stories and 847 ft, it will be the tallest in the city when it tops out. Cranes have recently been installed.

https://i.redd.it/q394txyklma41.png

Rendering courtesy of Reddit: Source

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jun 4, 2020 at 7:09 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off topic images

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 8:31 PM

^Just yesterday I was thinking that Austin may soon be cranking out more 800+ footers than Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
NYC's 3 Hudson Blvd broke ground in late 2017, but in early 2020, its planned height was increased just enough to become a supertall. See page 45 of this thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...140389&page=45

So in a way, we can think of this as the tallest (and the only supertall) that began construction after 1/1/2020. The 3 Hudson Blvd thread was certainly moved to the supertall sub-forum in Jan 2020.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:57 PM

Austin growing up, nice center piece!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
^Just yesterday I was thinking that Austin may soon be cranking out more 800+ footers than Chicago!
Anything is possible down the road, but current construction stats don't paint that picture.

# of 800+ footers:

Chicago:
Recently completed - 2
Under construction - 4
On hold - 1
Proposed - 3

Austin:
Recently completed - 0
Under construction - 1
On hold - 0
Proposed - 1

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:44 AM

I hate to compare cities. But... Austin may be one sunbelt city that urbanizes just because of its demographics (young tech workforce). Right now though, its still a baby.
Austin 305 sq mi, population ~1,000,000. Metro ~2,200,000. Skyline, modest
Chicago 234 sq mi, population ~2,800,000. Metro ~9,830,000. Skyline, spectacular
Austin also has bizarre zoning to protect capitol views from around the city, so who really knows how its downtown will evolve as the city grows. My guess is probably more like Houston then Chicago.
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest