HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:18 PM

Team behind $1B CrackerJax redevelopment to move forward 'as soon as we can'

Project was green lit by the City Council

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-council.html

Quote:
In front of a standing-room-only audience, Scottsdale City Council on Nov. 13 gave the thumbs up to one of the city's most ambitious redevelopment projects.

On a 5-2 vote, Council adopted an ordinance and two resolutions that will make way for The Parque — a $1 billion-plus mixed-use development that would include multifamily; retail and restaurants; a five-star hotel; a Class A office building; an open space gathering area and more.

The more than 30-acre site was previously home to the former CrackerJax amusement park, which sits on a prime redevelopment tract in North Scottsdale. The project will join a wave of billion-dollar developments in that part of Scottsdale — already one of the most affluent areas of the Valley.

Specific plans for The Parque include 1,182 dwelling units across apartment buildings, workforce housing and hotel-branded condominiums; a 223-key 5-star hotel; a 150,000-square-foot office building; more than 25,000 square feet for retail and nearly 35,000 square feet for restaurants.

In total, more than 2 million square feet are planned for the development. The 12 buildings planned for the site will range in height between one to 10 stories; the tallest of which is 117 feet.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 7:00 PM

Drove by Optima site at 101 and Scottsdale this morning, and can report heavy equipment on site and they were actively grading, so I believe this is officially under construction!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:25 PM

Loss for Phoenix...but huge win for Scottsdale!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...cottsdale.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 3:38 PM
Skyriser

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Loss for Phoenix...but huge win for Scottsdale!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...cottsdale.html
As we have said many times the City of Phoenix does not have good boosters for itself and basically no attempt to prioritize downtown at all. Half the time I think city of Phoenix paternalistically sees itself as head of the metro so a win for its neighbors is a win for it.

Absolutely not self-pride or priority in the slightest.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:01 PM
Skyriser

^ It does. For the longest time its economic development department was GPEC and might even still be for all practical purposes. But I don't think that was about paternalism, I recall some race-to-the-bottom wars about Valley cities trying do outdo each other on tax incentives they were trying to walk away from.

That all being said, the fact that they're building new and massively expanding makes me question whether they could be even located downtown--flex/R&D space is never located in downtowns either practically or traditionally.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 5:29 PM

Scottsdale is losing Fender to Phoenix/ PV Reimagined....Scottsdale lost Crest Insurance Group to Tempe/ 100 Mill...so maybe it just all balances out in the end.....

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 9:50 PM

Caesars Republic luxury hotel in Scottsdale progresses ahead of March opening

Caesars Republic opening up in March. Empty lot next to it might be developed in future.

Quote:
Upward of 200 workers file in and out of the Caesars Republic Scottsdale every day, wrapping up construction of the new luxury hotel as a March opening date rapidly approaches.

The vision for the first nongaming hotel from Caesars Entertainment Inc. (Nasdaq: CZR) is coming into focus.

The 11-story, 265-room hotel at the intersection of Goldwater Boulevard and Highland Avenue features 20,000 square feet of event space, which is already being pre-booked for business functions and weddings. Events have been booked for as early as April 2024 and as far out as late 2025, said Ryan Kirby, Caesars Republic’s director of sales and marketing.

There is another Macerich-owned vacant lot next to the hotel alongside Scottsdale Road, but as of now HCW has no concrete plans to develop anything there. However, Huffman noted that the parcel is zoned for 150-foot height development.

“There’s been some preliminary conversations, but they are confidential in nature right now," said Huffman. “Working with Macerich has been fantastic. They’re great folks to work with.”

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 PM
Skyriser

While I appreciate the optimism for development, Macerich is not much more than a mall owner. The fact that the Caesars hotel went up is really an odd one out, and that's on the back corner of one of the most successful malls in the country. Macerich can't really get past the idea of people driving up and having easy parking like it's 1960. Mixed use, etc is really not in their typical playbook. They sell malls that need to be redeveloped like has happened all over the Valley. The guy who says "they're great folks to work with" is lying through his teeth because he doesn't want to muck up a deal with the owners of some of the most valuable property anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:48 PM

Scottsdale Flexing its muscels like sky harbor I see:

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...n-campus-plan/

Quote:
In the mounting fight between police and military equipment manufacturer Axon and residents opposed to its plans for a multi-use campus in north Scottsdale, Axon took an early blow last week.

The Scottsdale Airport Advisory Commission unanimously voted to deny a recommendation of the company’s rezoning request for a more than 1.5MSF mixed-use master plan corporate campus at the NEC of Hayden Road and Mayo Blvd.

Commissioners expressed concern that the planned hotel and nearly 2,000 apartments included in the plan could eventually create enough complaints to threaten operations at Scottsdale Airport.

Axon originally purchased the land and announced plans for a new corporate headquarters. It later expanded its vision to include the headquarters, 1,975 apartments, a 425-room hotel and ground-floor retail in a campus project representatives have compared with Google and Apple campuses in California. The company claims the campus features will help it attract skilled workers for its operations.

The expansion surprised nearby residents in the Stonebrook community, and opposition arose quickly.

The location is currently zoned for industrial use. The company received state approval to pursue rezoning, but the process has to go through several steps in the face of entrenched neighborhood opposition, including hearings before the Planning Commission and City Council.

Neighbors speaking before the Airport Advisory Commission largely focused their concerns on the campus’ traffic impacts and potential to harm the character of the existing single-family neighborhood. Commissioners’ comments were largely targeted toward the potential for harm to the airport’s long-term viability, particularly that the estimated 4,000 eventual new residents would complain about noise and lead to the airport’s forced closure.

Project representatives said the construction would use high-quality building materials intended to reduce airplane noise and that residents would have to sign waivers acknowledging they were aware of their proximity to the airport.

Commissioners were unmoved by the argument and said the potential for harm over time was too great.

The next step in the review and approval process will be a hearing before the Planning Commission this week and before City Council on Feb. 6.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 4:40 PM

First I am hearing about this one....cool plaza that goes over the street. I wonder if the City will approve it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAygIcZk4-I

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Drove by Optima site at 101 and Scottsdale this morning, and can report heavy equipment on site and they were actively grading, so I believe this is officially under construction!
Drove by it today and they were building a retaining wall of some kind and they also had the first crane on-site that I've seen. Small little fella, but progress seems to be underway now.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 3:55 PM

This development seems to keep coming back and back......

https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p..._DR_2018_2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 7:56 PM

Developer ready to move forward on long-awaited Old Town Scottsdale hotel project

I vaguely remember this project but a really nice addition to Old Town, right off Scottsdale Rd.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...nd-condos.html

Quote:
Six years after receiving approval from Scottsdale City Council to build a new hotel in Old Town, Desco Arizona LLC aims to break ground on the project this year.

On Feb. 6, Phoenix-based Biltform Architecture Group submitted an application to reapprove the site plan, landscape plan and building elevations for the planned hotel at 4221 N. Scottsdale Road. The hotel, which is dubbed "SLS Scottsdale" under the flag of French multinational hospitality company Accor, would be nine stories tall with 235 guest rooms and five restaurants. A pool would be on the fourth floor, overlooking Scottsdale Road.

The project has reemerged as the property is scheduled to be sold at an April foreclosure auction, which is being spearheaded by a lender. However, a Desco executive said this week that the company is days away from closing on a new loan that would allow it to proceed with building the hotel with its project partners.

The site is located next to breakfast and brunch restaurant Morning Squeeze, and across the street from Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers and Bourbon & Bones.

Plans to redevelop the site, which is home to an existing building, have been explored in recent years. The property owned by 4221-Associates AZ LLC, an entity connected to Desco, offers a rare possibility for a new destination hotel in Old Town Scottsdale. Dave Slattery, chairman of Desco, said the development has been years in the making after closing on the land throughout 2017 and 2018.

The developer's previous undertakings include a pair of Low Income Housing Tax Credit projects in Phoenix: Garfield Sacred Heart Housing and Highland Metro Apartments. Those two projects were developed in partnership with Berkshire Affordable Housing Partners. On the hospitality front, Slattery's portfolio includes redeveloping The Westin Aquila Hotel-Omaha from an office building into a hotel in the late 1990s in Nebraska, according to its website.

Slattery relocated from Omaha, Nebraska, to Scottsdale in 2009, he said.

4221-Associates AZ LLC initially pursued a development called the Winfield Hotel and Residences at 4221 N. Scottsdale Road, the Arizona Republic reported in 2017. Plans called for a 246-key hotel with 16 luxury condos, with Davis Architecture as the architect of the project. Scottsdale Planning Commission and City Council each voted to approve the project in 2018.

In February 2020 — nearly two years after Scottsdale City Council approved a rezoning and site plan approval — Desco was granted a time extension by the council as the developer worked toward construction and final financing approvals, according to previous correspondence from Desco with the city on this project.

Desco worked with John Berry of Scottsdale-based law firm Berry Riddell LLC for that rezoning and site plan approval.

With costs rising by $25 million in the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic's disruption of business, Slattery said the project was put on hold to raise additional capital and find the right project partners. In total, the new vision for the hotel, which won't include luxury condos, will cost more than $150 million.

As of Feb. 16, the newly submitted application will be heard by Scottsdale's Development Review Board at a date "to be determined."

Slattery anticipates starting the demolition of the building in the third quarter of this year with roughly 22 months of construction ahead. Desco is targeting the fourth quarter of 2026 for a possible opening date.

Accor affirmed the plans for SLS Scottsdale in a 2021 statement as it would develop the site with Desco and Dakota Development, which has done other SLS-branded hotels in Miami, Beverly Hills, California, Seattle, Las Vegas and The Bahamas.

Accor couldn't immediately be reached for comment on the resuscitated plans.

More on the scheduled trustee sale
As Desco refiled plans with the city of Scottsdale to get reapproval of the site plan, a notice of trustee sale was recorded Jan. 18 in Maricopa County for the land where the hotel would be built — meaning a lender is seeking to sell the property to the highest bidder.

The sale is currently set for 10 a.m. on April 26 at 1850 N. Central Ave. in Phoenix. CS Finance LLC executed a loan to 4221-Associates AZ for $10.3 million in February 2023, according to the notice. CS Finance is connected to Dave Megdal, who is part of the development team for the more than $1 billion mixed-use redevelopment of the former CrackerJax amusement park site, now dubbed The Parque.

Neither Megdal or trustee Andrew Abraham of Burch & Cracchiolo could be reached for comment.

Slattery said the issue with the lender has been "cleared up" and that the trustee's sale will probably come off the books in the next week or so as Desco closes on a new loan.

Slattery said the funding for the project is mostly made up of high-net-worth individuals with investments of $250,000 and up. Slattery said the interest in raising money or getting financial commitments for the hotel has gotten easier with the opening and early success of the Global Ambassador in Phoenix and the anticipation surrounding the nearby Caesars Republic Scottsdale, which is set to open March 6.

The Phoenix metro is among the top three cities in the country for the number of new hotel rooms under construction, according to a report from CoStar.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:19 PM

Ritz Carlton Nears Completion/

It's about time.

It seems so small at 200 keys for a lot that size. Feels like it could have become our new premier destination but at that size it will be untouchably exclusive. I get it; it's the Ritz. But the one in the middle of nowhere near Marana has 250 rooms. Feels like it could still be exclusive at 500 rooms. By comparison, Biltmore has 700 and Phoenician has 643.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Ritz Carlton Nears Completion/

It's about time.

It seems so small at 200 keys for a lot that size. Feels like it could have become our new premier destination but at that size it will be untouchably exclusive. I get it; it's the Ritz. But the one in the middle of nowhere near Marana has 250 rooms. Feels like it could still be exclusive at 500 rooms. By comparison, Biltmore has 700 and Phoenician has 643.
I was going to say that has to be a mistake but if you look at the most recent satellite images the actual hotel is a small section of that space.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sevXmZ4qjsnNknW86

About 1/3 of the lot is set aside for single family homes and another 20% is the "Palmiere" which is offices and restaurants. And the entire northeastern corner is undeveloped for now.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I was going to say that has to be a mistake but if you look at the most recent satellite images the actual hotel is a small section of that space.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sevXmZ4qjsnNknW86

About 1/3 of the lot is set aside for single family homes and another 20% is the "Palmiere" which is offices and restaurants. And the entire northeastern corner is undeveloped for now.
Well...I have been reading the comments...and, no problem - didn't feel anything - until I opened up that google map/photo of the area. So, please just indulge me for a moment. First off - that is not 68th St. - it is Mockingbird Lane. It is 68th St. south of Jackrabbit. I grew up - a way, long time ago - a short way up from this project on Mockingbird just before Cheney - BEFORE THE AREA BECAME WHAT IT IS TODAY. I don't think anyone imagined 60 years ago. Now, everything built in the 50s and 60s has become a tear down. I used to ride horses on this property behind St Barnabas Church. The housing development across from the church was a boarding school (Judson School). That Lutheran Church at Mockingbird and Hummingbird - was designed by a protege of Frank Lloyd Wright - that has always been my understanding. They built that church when I was just a little boy. We got thrown out of it when they were building it - we were horsing around... tearing up the place. I heard last year that the congregation has sold it to a developer, and it is supposed to be torn down this year - to make way for three houses. Now, isn't that unique and special. The Ritz-Carlton project: The guard let me drive around in there a few years ago. Don't like it. I understand that they were having trouble with some of the construction. Sorry, but this is one of the reasons I now live in Prescott.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:03 AM

Tower Crane for the 1st Optima Tower at Scottsdale and 101 was being erected today, was driving on the 101 so couldn't grab a picture.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Tower Crane for the 1st Optima Tower at Scottsdale and 101 was being erected today, was driving on the 101 so couldn't grab a picture.
It's up and pretty tall - as expected. Interestingly on the site across the 101 (NE corner) there's a 2nd crane going in to finish the other two buildings on that site. Not sure if they intend to remove the first crane soon (today?) - but that would put 5 cranes on the Scottsdale Rd corridor in N. Scottsdale (6 in the NE valley - with the 1 at CityScape down the road).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest