HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:05 AM
Pay it Forward

After decades of cities redevelopment and downtowns coming back, I think that we are seeing a new villification of big cities, specifically urban environments happening again due to right wing media constantly characterizing cities as "dem-runned urban cesspools and/or hellholes and/or armpits etc."

They have their supporters who have never been here thinking they know more about our cities than we do. It's bizarre and annoying.

I have 'friends' and some relatives on social media that have never set foot in CA who think they know all there is to know about LA or SF. I'm like bitch please STFU.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:07 AM
Dryer lint inspector

As much as I love going to to SF, Santana Row in SJ is much more appealing when my wife is in town and we want to grab dinner and a drink; easy to park and it's free. Palo Alto fun too.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Santana Row/Valley Fair are basically the "downtown" for SV. People still congregate, and regionally dominant malls still thrive.

They're still malls, though. No substitute for organic urban growth.

Also, totally anecdotal, but I believe immigrants and other newcomers haven't discarded malls like most longtime Americans. You see malls perform best when there are lots of non-natives and intl. visitors (NYC, Miami, LA, Bay Area). The really "All American" places with purely local demand (Portland, St. Louis, Cincy) are where malls really seem to struggle. Outside of the U.S. malls are still generally "cool" and signal upward mobility, youth and aspiration.
I don't know about all that. There are still malls in places like Thousand Oaks, Temecula and Mission Viejo. Dallas has a bunch of huge malls too. They were just overbuilt in the 90s in places that couldn't support that level of retail, and then e-commerce finished them off, but in thriving suburbs around the country they are still going strong. It's true that the indoor variety has fallen out of favor in fair-weather locales. Open-air or semi open-air malls like the Grove, Westfield Century City and Irvine Spectrum seem to be the most popular around here.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:35 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I don't know about all that. There are still malls in places like Thousand Oaks, Temecula and Mission Viejo. Dallas has a bunch of huge malls too. They were just overbuilt in the 90s in places that couldn't support that level of retail, and then e-commerce finished them off, but in thriving suburbs around the country they are still going strong. It's true that the indoor variety has fallen out of favor in fair-weather locales. Open-air or semi open-air malls like the Grove, Westfield Century City and Irvine Spectrum seem to be the most popular around here.
Successful malls tend to be higher end and rebranded themselves as more destinations while the traditional run-of-the-mill mall anchored by a Sears and Monkey Wards are all but dead or dying.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:07 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Successful malls tend to be higher end and rebranded themselves as more destinations while the traditional run-of-the-mill mall anchored by a Sears and Monkey Wards are all but dead or dying.
Yeah that's what happened to some of the local malls here (Tanforan in San Bruno, Bayfair in San Leandro, Southland in Hayward, and NewPark in Newark). The destination centers like Valley Fair, Santana Row, Stanford, Hillsdale, and Bishop Ranch are doing well though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:48 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yeah that's what happened to some of the local malls here (Tanforan in San Bruno, Bayfair in San Leandro, Southland in Hayward, and NewPark in Newark). The destination centers like Valley Fair, Santana Row, Stanford, Hillsdale, and Bishop Ranch are doing well though.
Vallco in Cupertino and Sunnyvale Town Center are also dead Silicon Valley malls. Vallco was for many years a huge draw in the South Bay, until Valley Fair was renovated into an indoor mall in 1986.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
After decades of cities redevelopment and downtowns coming back, I think that we are seeing a new villification of big cities, specifically urban environments happening again due to right wing media constantly characterizing cities as "dem-runned urban cesspools and/or hellholes and/or armpits etc."

They have their supporters who have never been here thinking they know more about our cities than we do. It's bizarre and annoying.

I have 'friends' and some relatives on social media that have never set foot in CA who think they know all there is to know about LA or SF. I'm like bitch please STFU.
I get this all day, every day, with boomer clients. It's bizarre.

I actually got this before you-know-who was elected on a fear/ignorance platform. I have a WW2-era Brooklyn-born client who has lived in South Carolina for 50 years, who claims you can't set foot in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and live to tell the tale. He thinks there are roving bands of "illegal" Puerto Ricans out to get you, like he watched West Side Story one too many times. I've given up on these folks.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
who claims you can't set foot in Williamsburg,
did that sentence end with 'without spending at least 75 dollars'? otherwise

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufbau View Post
did that sentence end with 'without spending at least 75 dollars'? otherwise
Yeah, his views on urban America are so cartoonish and detached from reality, it isn't worth arguing. Williamsburg has been gentrified for 30 years and is more expensive and desirable than 99% of America. The only roving gangs are Eurotrash and tourists.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:37 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ meh thats how oldens have always been.

when i go to nsb, fla my mom and her husband are constantly like, that house is a million dollars or dammit you gotta be a millionaire to live around here.

im thinking well who isnt a millionaire, but of course i dont say anything.

its just about old people wanting to be heard and their day not forgotten.

they sure dont want to hear about any 50yrs that went by, they want to tell you lol.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ meh thats how oldens have always been.

when i go to nsb, fla my mom and her husband are constantly like, that house is a million dollars or dammit you gotta be a millionaire to live around here.

im thinking well who isnt a millionaire, but of course i dont say anything.

its just about old people wanting to be heard and their day not forgotten.
Only around 8% of Americans have a net worth of a million dollars. It's a lot more common than it used to be (due to a combination of inflation and the explosion of 401(k) usage) but it's not the norm.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Only around 8% of Americans have a net worth of a million dollars. It's a lot more common than it used to be (due to a combination of inflation and the explosion of 401(k) usage) but it's not the norm.
actually in nyc and especially in w’burg and even nsb it would be more than that. and quite a bit in real numbers and anecdotally. at least in property ownership especially.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
actually in nyc and especially in w’burg and even nsb it would be more than that. and quite a bit in real numbers and anecdotally. at least in property ownership especially.
Well yeah, if you own property in NYC and you didn't inherit, you would have to be a millionaire. Honestly, even if you did inherit property, given the net worth of the property in question - though I suppose it might not be a liquid asset.

Even like 20 years ago when my friends lived in Williamsburg, there were already a ton of idle rich hipster types moving in.

I knew one dude who basically got disgusted and left the neighborhood from this. He worked as an ornamental plasterer and made good money repairing old buildings and the like, but he threw out his back and had to take it easy for a few months on disability. He realized that lots of his young neighbors just...didn't have jobs. They just hung out at a coffeeshop all day long, even though the rent was quite expensive even then. Realizing he was surrounded by people whose parents were literally paying big bucks for them to slum it, he got really disgusted with the scene, and quit the area soon thereafter.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:29 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ you could say the same about all of manhattan and now parts of queens and south bx too.

idle rich fronting their kids to live a city or city/bohemian lifestyle.

its nothing new though, such as its always been in nyc going way back to the greenwich village hipsters era.

anyway, i hope all those polish who were living in the burg held out and then cashed in.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
its nothing new though, such as its always been in nyc going way back to the greenwich village hipsters era.
Yeah, but it used to be feasible to just...move to NYC, fumble around for work, and survive. I knew tons of people who did that. Two of them didn't even have college degrees initially and they managed to make it. One of them ended up with a career designing front window displays for stores and the like, the other managed to do computer tech support (initially bullshitting his way working for Orthodox Jews who didn't even know how to use Ebay without help, but eventually developing real skills). I knew far more folks who moved there right out of college, got a relatively crappy job, and managed to make rent.

Admittedly, most of these folks no longer live in NYC. Almost all of them still do live in cities, but eventually paying so much for so little got to them, and they moved elsewhere (LA, Philly, etc.) But they managed to "launch" in NYC so to speak at least.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Only around 8% of Americans have a net worth of a million dollars.
Some people don't consider equity in a primary residence to count toward one's net worth.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Some people don't consider equity in a primary residence to count toward one's net worth.
Then the number is even smaller.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but it used to be feasible to just...move to NYC, fumble around for work, and survive.
It's pretty easy to do that right now. NYC is one of the easiest cities to just glide by post-college or upon entry to U.S. You don't need a vehicle, cheap month-to-month rooms for rent are always available, and you can freelance or find a traditional job within hours. And everything can be off the books.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
And yet for the vast majority of the middle class, primary residence equity is usually one of the biggest household financial assets, often #1 or #2.

I fully understand why many like to discount it, but it's still a very real asset (ain't nothing realer than real estate), even if it's pretty un-liquid.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:31 PM

McMansion became a commonly-known term in the 1990s.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions