HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:27 AM

Random question but it seems that UTA is currently not selling monthly transit passes? Does anyone have any info?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:40 PM
Lahaina Strong

I find it curious that several Comets are still kicking about at Warm Springs, I was under the impression that the recycling companies had 90 days from November to remove them.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 5:08 AM
Lahaina Strong

The Railway Interior Innovation Summit is being held this Tuesday through Thursday in SLC. Featuring a massive list of speakers from the likes of UTA, Stadler, Amtrak, RPA, and others. UTA will feature their trains and Stadler will offer a tour of their factory. Unfortunately their website suggests attendance is subject to significant financial investment so hopefully they record and post presentations.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 4:12 PM

That Stadler event sounds awesome. It's too bad I can't attend. Here is one I can attend, since it is short, virtual, and free:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rio-gra...s-615307460177

This Thursday, April 20th, the Utah State Historic Preservation office will host a webinar discussion about the repair work being done on the Rio Grande Depot. I hope they can reopen the building soon!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:36 PM

How the Magna Earthquake May Have Saved the Rio Grande Depot
https://www.ksl.com/article/50625991...o-grande-depot

A nice summary of what was learned from last week's webinar. The earthquake really can be regarded as a blessing in disguise, since without it there may never have been the support for seismic upgrades that will keep it standing through even bigger quakes.

It is also really good that these upgrades can happen now when the building is essentially unused, because imagine how difficult this project would be if the depot was already restored as a train station! As things stand now, the upgrades are only just beginning, and will take several years to complete (probably). The good news is that the upgrades are being done right- when they are finished, the depot should look practically indistinguishable from the present. That is a huge relief, to hear how much everyone involved really seems to care about doing a good job.
There are good days ahead for the Rio Grande Depot!

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 7:42 PM
Space Magi

Seems like UTA is actively trying to preempt the Rio Grande Plan with their new contract with SOM.

Pretty disappointing that they are just barreling forward without considering the train box solution, especially since there's a funded study taking place that will consider it. If you want the RGP to happen, write to your legislators!

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Seems like UTA is actively trying to preempt the Rio Grande Plan with their new contract with SOM.

Pretty disappointing that they are just barreling forward without considering the train box solution, especially since there's a funded study taking place that will consider it. If you want the RGP to happen, write to your legislators!
I’m afraid if we get UTA’s plans stopped we’ll get the worst of both worlds - no RGP and no UTA-pushed station (who do have very reputable firm working on it btw).

Who can we discuss this with? You cannot trust the city (the RDA) to execute on anything (look at station center and fleet vs something similar but private in the post district) or the legislature or governor. I mean, right now you can’t even get their support to make the much lessor in cost and road-centric grand blvds plan work — let alone the RGP. It’s all very frustrating.

I was in town for the music festival at the fairgrounds and rode the rails all over.
I specifically used the hub for the blue line and frontrunner. Both those sites (RG station and SL central) have so much damn potential but the homeless issue on 200 is as bad as I’ve ever seen it (I moved away 7 years ago). I’m going to try and post some pics of downtown projects soon if I can figure out how.

Last edited by mattreedah; May 16, 2023 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Removed image

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 6:03 AM
Lahaina Strong

Bits from the Local Advisoty Council meeting last week.

The FRA corridor ID program work is still ongoing. They anticipate the FRA will decide who gets funding around September. They appear to be studying Boise-SLC and SLC-Vegas as two separate routes, which makes sense.

Here's their graphics for each:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 1:12 PM

Interesting that they have plans for 3 stations in Boise area, but only one in all of SL county

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Interesting that they have plans for 3 stations in Boise area, but only one in all of SL county
I think that's largely a feature of reactivating the stations that Amtrak Pioneer used to serve and where land and station structures are available to easily serve in that capacity again (Nampa and Caldwell depots are still standing). Longer-term seems like Murray Central and Draper could make sense given the conversation around allowing future Amtrak service to use the upgraded FrontRunner corridor.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 7:51 PM
Space Magi

From the Boise thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Looks like the plans are to utilize the three historic train stations in Boise, Nampa and Caldwell.
I wish SLC had one of those.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
From the Boise thread:

I wish SLC had one of those.
Oh yeah? I wish SLC had TWO of those!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahn View Post
I think that's largely a feature of reactivating the stations that Amtrak Pioneer used to serve and where land and station structures are available to easily serve in that capacity again (Nampa and Caldwell depots are still standing). Longer-term seems like Murray Central and Draper could make sense given the conversation around allowing future Amtrak service to use the upgraded FrontRunner corridor.
They'd have to extend the platforms a ton to make Amtrak work with the FrontRunner stations right?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 12:28 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidel_cashflo View Post
They'd have to extend the platforms a ton to make Amtrak work with the FrontRunner stations right?
Consider that this would be regional service, likely with shorter trains. They aren't stopping the Zephyr at Frontrunner's platforms (yet).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:20 PM
Exit 298

Pessimism tempers my enthusiasm. I just don't see a good outcome, because we either:

1. Use existing rail corridors. This limits speed to 79 MPH and is much slower on mountainous curves. It means diesel locomotives, which means slow re-start times after stops. It likely means waiting for permission to use U.P. lines, which means poor frequency. In essence, we're re-creating Amtrak. It'll be slow, sucky and nobody will ride it.

2. Clean sheet high-speed design. This would fix all of the problems listed above. But seeing how unbelievably expensive CA HSR is here in the Central Valley, it tells me the project would be D.O.A. in Idaho and Utah. It'll be expensive and legislatures will kill it.

Is there some sort of third option I'm not seeing?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 9:05 PM

I would strongly prefer Amtrak not use UTA tracks, for several reasons. The platforms are not sized correctly, nor set up for express trains to pass through without stopping. UTA would probably need to update their PTC system for interoperability, which would be expensive and disruptive to operations. Lastly, while Amtrak could avoid freight train congestion, it would now have to deal with commuter train congestion; remember that by 2029 UTA wants to run trains every 15 minutes, which would leave no capacity for Amtrak.
Way too many problems for less than 50 miles of a 400 mile route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Pessimism tempers my enthusiasm. I just don't see a good outcome, because we either:

1. Use existing rail corridors. This limits speed to 79 MPH and is much slower on mountainous curves. It means diesel locomotives, which means slow re-start times after stops. It likely means waiting for permission to use U.P. lines, which means poor frequency. In essence, we're re-creating Amtrak. It'll be slow, sucky and nobody will ride it.

2. Clean sheet high-speed design. This would fix all of the problems listed above. But seeing how unbelievably expensive CA HSR is here in the Central Valley, it tells me the project would be D.O.A. in Idaho and Utah. It'll be expensive and legislatures will kill it.

I think the model provided by North Carolina (another red state) is a good example of what Amtrak could achieve in Utah/Idaho/Nevada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NC_By_Train

Basically, the state DOT provides the trains, funding for upgraded infrastructure, and even some of the branding and advertising, while Amtrak operates the service. I would prefer an arrangement where the state maintains some level of ownership of the route proportionate to the level of improvements made, but it's not a bad system. Or perhaps I should say that it isn't an unpopular system, since it is currently expanding with more round trips per day.

Ultimately though, these routes were historically (under Amtrak) about 9 hrs each, and unless some serious investment is done to raise speeds, we shouldn't expect proposed travel times to be any shorter. Back before the federal government imposed speed limits on railroads in 1947, passenger trains traveled up to 120mph on some sections of track, even here in Utah. One of those steam engines is preserved in Ogden (FEF #833). If UDOT were serious about raising speeds to 110 mph (see Michigan and Illinois) and removing capacity restrictions (see California and North Carolina), it isn't impossible to imagine travel times shrinking to 6 hrs, which would be competitive with driving, and much faster than the bus.

But such a service needs to start somewhere, and 1 slow train per day per direction is probably the best we can expect for a start.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 1:35 AM

I think they should run this route through to to Portland or Seattle vs terminating in Boise. Either of those cities would be a much larger market and provide connections to other Amtrak routes.

Last edited by RC14; Jun 7, 2023 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I would strongly prefer Amtrak not use UTA tracks, for several reasons. The platforms are not sized correctly, nor set up for express trains to pass through without stopping. UTA would probably need to update their PTC system for interoperability, which would be expensive and disruptive to operations. Lastly, while Amtrak could avoid freight train congestion, it would now have to deal with commuter train congestion; remember that by 2029 UTA wants to run trains every 15 minutes, which would leave no capacity for Amtrak.
Way too many problems for less than 50 miles of a 400 mile route.
Hatman, I don't disagree with you at all, and I think the North Carolina route is a fantastic model for Utah to emulate, but it does appear that UTA is already thinking along the lines of Amtrak of using UTA tracks. Statement from head of Utah from Executive Director of UTA from the recent KSL article below. How much compensation would UTA receive as a "host railroad?" Would that compensation be part of UTA's calculus considering funding for the partial doubletrack upgrade is mostly in the bag?

Quote:
Fox explained that UTA became involved because he believes it would not only build public transportation options in the region but could also enhance the commuter rail service that already exists across the Wasatch Front through the FrontRunner.

"We have 83 miles of what could be a larger intercity corridor," he said. "I think that would not only be great for Utah and the surrounding areas but also great for us."

It's also possible that Amtrak, which operates on Union Pacific lines, could operate service using UTA's FrontRunner line, which would allow the commuter train to run "more effectively" through the Wasatch Front, he added. That's something that could be possible once the agency completes its double-tracking project, which may not happen until at least 2028 or 2029.
https://www.ksl.com/article/50646604...oise-las-vegas

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:23 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I think they should run this route through to to Portland or Seattle vs terminating in Boise. Either of those cities would be a much larger market and provide connections to other Amtrak routes.
I believe there is some confusion here. There are two separate things being studied under two separate sources of funding.

1. Corridor Identification Program: This is what we're talking about here, this plan aims to award funding to study regional service between cities within a reasonable proximity.

2. Long Distance Study: Studying long distance routes that have been discontinued. I think there's good odds this sees the return of Pioneer and/or Desert Wind.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Has anyone, even if pie-in-the-sky, ever proposed high speed rail between Las Vegas/SLC via St George? There is a recent article that suggests UTA has pondered an eventual, long term vision of 200-220mph rail and at least 150mph to be viable. I know this is probably 1-2 centuries out, but even at 150mph that would be like under 3 hour travel time and 200mph could push that to like 2. Further integration St George/Cedar City into the Las Vegas economy would be awesome in terms of airport access, job opportunities, etc.

I'm a fan of CAHSR but I don't think it was necessarily designed 'frugally'. Brightline West is set to cost 1/4th as much per mile (200m vs 50m) and it was very obviously designed to minimize costs. The costs would still be huge, of course, and I'm sure there are geographic challenges. The fact that a <3 hour ride to Vegas and a <3 hour ride from there on to LA is even technically possible is somewhat encouraging to me even if we can't ride until the year 3000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West